Author Topic: Food bank  (Read 4450 times)

Doug

• Why don't pictures ever work for me?
    • View Profile
    • Doug's Petteroid Stuff
Food bank
« on: January 10, 2010, 09:34:56 PM »
Friday I was at the local food bank trying to put a cooler into service and repair some lighting.
The food bank is located in an old grocery store and the wiring is a mess. This is done intentionally, sabotage to ensure another independent grocer doesn't moves in.

What I saw in there moved me to tears.
The store now has 3 sections a play center for kids and free toys to take home, a yard sale where items are sold to raise money. A used clothing area and of course the food section.

The main meat cooler was not well stacked and I noticed some of the food was 1 year into its expiring date.

From my perch high up I could see kids trying shoes and parrents trying coats. I saw people I know....

If you have the financial means please remember the people in your community, your neighbors, your friends some of whom are too proud to admit they are in trouble are using these places in record number and the shelves are thin. If you a person with skills and a little free time many of these places need repairs, If you just have a little free time there are bags of food or clothing in places like where I was that could use sorting. If you have kids clothing there is probably something in a drawer some place your kids don't wear anymore please don't throw it out.

There are a lot of people out there in need these days.
And thank you for your time and efforts because I know a lot of you already have done generous things already but you might not have been thanked.
It's a Good Life, If You Don't Weaken

t19

• Tanks and Lister... Heavy Metal
    • View Profile
Re: Food bank
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2010, 11:02:34 PM »
Great thread Doug.

I think you will agree with me that food banks are a blight on your fair country and our communities.  I look forward to the day when they are obsolete and no longer needed.

Until that day, I agree with you, we need to do what we can to help our fellow citizens
There is plenty of room for all of Gods creatures... right next to the mashed potatoes...

Stan

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2010, 03:54:39 PM »
Couldn't have said it better myself Doug.  There was also a news story on CBC radio this morning about an reserve in Northern Canada that has been having a very rough time.  Some of the things they have been living with make the third world look positively modern by comparison.  We have a lot to do here at home in our own country, our own cities and our own homes to shape up and improve.

Giving cash isn't always possible for some, but for many of them, the answer is to volunteer.  Even for a couple of hours a week helps a lot.
Stan

Doug

• View Profile
    • Doug's Petteroid Stuff
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2010, 06:48:20 PM »
I used to do my weekly payroll deduction for charity, drop off some canned goods and stuff a few bills in a kettle it Christmas and feel smug about how I was a good person and was doing my bit. It's only recently with deep regret and shame I have learned its not what you give, its what you do that's important. And what I have done in hind sight for so long was very little at all.

The real measure of a man is not what we passively give when convient, but what we do with the time and resources at our disposal...

DRDEATH

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2010, 09:15:00 AM »
Doug you are right. Giving time which sometimes is all we can do is worth many time more than money. People still need to give money but when people give time doing projects which the food bank might not be able to get done if they had to pay.
It seems that I always seem to resort back to personal experiences. Everyone knows I am all about raising money for breast cancer. This is sometimes my cop out. I have to remind myself everyday that the money is needed "BUT" the effort it takes to visit people with the disease cost 10 fold in effort.
It boggles my mind how many people with cancer are left to themselves. It is still a stigmatism that you can get cancer from someone else. Mostly the younger generation feels this way.
Years ago when I was in probably what I thought was my worst times I was not able to give to the local church we attended. It made me feel pretty low so I visited with the minister and found out that I was not the only one who was having hared times. This caused the church problems meeting their monthly budget. I found out that I could volunteer as janitor of the church so they would not have to pay for that service. Let me tell you that was probably the hardest tithe I have ever given. Twice a week plus before special events.
The great thing was that some of the people who used the church other than Sunday and Wednesday left money with the minister for us.
During this period we also had a water heater go out with no chance of replacing it. We came in to clean one night and found a brand new water heater in the church with our names on it and no one around. They didn't want us to be embarrassed about getting it.
That period of time is when I really began to believe that God was alive and well with miracles. I'm glad there are people like you that can fix stuff. I just dont have the ability to do stuff of that. Thank you for being one of those people from you southern neighbor. Mike
Breast cancer kills. It takes money to save lives.

Doug

• View Profile
    • Doug's Petteroid Stuff
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2010, 01:15:36 AM »
That's a realy touching story thank you.

Better days are coming they say.

Grael

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2010, 03:28:55 AM »

Better days are coming they say.

Lets hope so.  :)
GTC 8-1

"Traveling 33 RPM in an iPod world"