Author Topic: Pinion Orientation---  (Read 7509 times)

hotater

• View Profile
Pinion Orientation---
« on: December 09, 2005, 10:44:12 PM »
 Question for Lister(oid) owners--

It seems the pinion "spud" that the pinion gear spins on is designed to be oiled from the top just like the big end of the rod, but I see by going back to the pictures I took of my brand new engine that the spud was rotated 90% out for that to be the case.
  Has anyone noticed how their engine came out of the crate?  You can feel the oil notch with a short-bent paper clip run around the bevel between the base of the spud and the face of the gear.

I oriented mine with the notch 'up' to catch the oil....how 'bout ya'll?
7200 hrs on 6-1/5Kw, FuKing Listeroid,
Currently running PS-Kit 6-1/5Kw...and some MPs and Chanfas and diesel snowplows and trucks and stuff.

Joe

• View Profile
Re: Pinion Orientation---
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2005, 02:34:38 AM »
   I just took a picture that I believe is what you are talking about…how do I post it?

Joe
Nothing is easy...if it were...anybody could do it.

2005 Power Solutions  6/1-ST5

hotater

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2005, 02:40:53 AM »
Joe--

Click on the Coppermine link in the top right corner and click on 'admin mode'  then  'add picture'.  It'll automatically put it in your album.  The second half instructions were posted by Quinn.   ;)
Currently running PS-Kit 6-1/5Kw...and some MPs and Chanfas and diesel snowplows and trucks and stuff.

Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2005, 03:18:04 AM »
Hotater...is this what you are referring to? Camera was at an odd angle..I can go and check to see what clock position if that is the right hole.

Joe

Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2005, 03:45:54 AM »
Hmm...small picture...story of my life...
I down loaded it from here and enlarged it...all the clarity was gone. ???

hotater

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2005, 04:07:04 AM »
See if this works----

This is oriented as it would be in the engine--- threads stick through the crank-case...the first ground surface locates the spud in the crank-case in a counterbore. The ground surface before the 'head' has the pinion gear rotating on it. The spud is stationary. It bottoms out on the shoulder and leaves about .005 'slop' for the gear to freely rotate.
In this position oil flung into the top of the crankcase by the dipper runs into the milled slot and is fed into the gear bore to lubricate it.

Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2005, 02:20:14 PM »
Hotater…I used the scientific paper clip method. My pinion opinion is that the slot on my engine is at 7 o’clock.  I couldn’t get the camera in at a suitable angle to capture a good shot.
Hmmm…does it make a difference? Unless there is something else compelling I would opt to go with 12 o’clock and let gravity help a little more.

Someone, somewhere has had to have scanned the technical drawings of these...even the Indians work off of detailed prints..don't they?

hotater

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2005, 03:04:16 PM »
In some places the definition of "Precision" is,  'Measure with a micrometer, mark it with chalk, and cut it with an axe'.

You found just what I did....I'll bet when that pinion was installed no thought is given to where the oil comes from.

The simple fix is to release the nut locker tab, loosen the pinion nut and rotate the pinion so the oil can run into the joint and retighten.  Don't forget to lock that nut!

I have no idea if it REALLY makes a difference, but to give an engine the best chance at reliability it has to be lubricated well.  Small details are sometimes VERY important.  One example is the 'funnels' at the mouths of the oil holes in the top of the rod big end.  You can bet the bearings would run dry-er  if the center-drill 'funnels' were left off, but it would be so easy for a bean counter to decide it was an extra and unneccesary step.

(The factory notice of defect in Howa Mach.Tool- made Weatherby Vanguard rifles was caused by just such a bean counter decision.  It cost a guy his right arm to find find why one milling operation left out was NOT a money saving idea.)