Author Topic: Who Glyptal's their generator head?  (Read 37614 times)

Doug

• Why don't pictures ever work for me?
    • View Profile
    • Doug's Petteroid Stuff
Re: Who Glyptal's their generator head?
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2009, 06:36:02 PM »
Mots of you guys have seen the inside of my Petteroid. Everything was paintd in Glyptal 1201A
It's a Good Life, If You Don't Weaken

NoSpark

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2009, 05:15:03 AM »
Could more Glyptal on an ST reduce groaning?
Anand Powerline 6/1 ST5

Doug

• View Profile
    • Doug's Petteroid Stuff
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2009, 03:54:19 PM »
Might, it will help glue all the loose iron laminations and wirings wigling around making some humming and buzzing noises.

YA see an ST head is junk. They rattle, buzz  and grown because they are not well made and assembled. Anything you do to increase to tighten up and reduce motion of all the parts that are trying push themsleves apart the more quiet the machine will be and longer it will last.

When I walk around and inspect electrical equipment and motors I am lsiten to the sound they make. Noise is vibration, things moving as things move they wear rub insulation through and loosen up joints and connections....
An increase change in sound tells me things are starting to loosen up like laminations. coils wires ect. When I hear these things I know it trouble in the mail.
I tell my boss, the little twit does nothing and eventualy I get overtime replacing something that failed. With a little experience and a trained ear I can skedual my overtime....

Sometimes I am wrong and a piece of junk just growls and hums and anoys the hell out of me for years while I wait for it to die
« Last Edit: December 12, 2009, 03:56:23 PM by Doug »

sailawayrb

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2009, 10:06:54 PM »
Could more Glyptal on an ST reduce groaning?
Sort of depends on the reason it is groaning in first place...  If the reason is worn out bearings, adding Glyptal isn't going to fix it.  A brand new ST will groan when the electrical load becomes significantly unbalanced...which will happen frequently if it is wired for 240V.  If it is wired for 120V, the electrical load will always remain balanced and it will not groan for that reason.  If one were to do such a poor job applying Glyptal, one might mass unbalance the rotor and create groaning where there was none.

Doug

• View Profile
    • Doug's Petteroid Stuff
« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2009, 12:35:17 AM »
They don't ballance the rotors in the first place lol

piperpilot3tk

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2009, 01:28:38 AM »
A brand new ST will groan when the electrical load becomes significantly unbalanced...which will happen frequently if it is wired for 240V.  If it is wired for 120V, the electrical load will always remain balanced and it will not groan for that reason.
I thought it was the other way around.  Please explain.  I was gonna wire my ST8 to the house panel with 240 and let the house breaker panel distribute the 120/240 volts loads just for this reason. 

xyzer

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 13, 2009, 01:45:29 AM »
piper,
Your panel will not balance the load at 240 volts. You might have to swap breakers from side to side and balance the load for your needs. I found on my panel with my 6/1 most of the important gotta have items were on one side of the panel making it hard to equally balance the 120v load. I have fewer watts to play with so it becomes more critical. The more watts or capacity you have to throw at it the less of an issue it becomes. The next time I wire a house I'll put freezer on one side refrigerator on the other and so on....I am no expert so maybe others will splain what I'm trying to say.
Dave   
Vidhata 6/1 portable
Power Solutions portable 6/1
Z482 KUBOTA

Doug

• View Profile
    • Doug's Petteroid Stuff
« Reply #22 on: December 13, 2009, 01:47:55 AM »
Ya and if its wired 120 the circulating currents make them burn more fuel and run warmer ( more or less depending on luck and quality of the build )....
You can't win.

You are better wired 240 and try and keep your load ballanced.

Year after year the same questions over and over..................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

sailawayrb

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 13, 2009, 02:03:48 AM »
A brand new ST will groan when the electrical load becomes significantly unbalanced...which will happen frequently if it is wired for 240V.  If it is wired for 120V, the electrical load will always remain balanced and it will not groan for that reason.
I thought it was the other way around.  Please explain.  I was gonna wire my ST8 to the house panel with 240 and let the house breaker panel distribute the 120/240 volts loads just for this reason. 
I would suggest reading this thread

http://listerengine.com/smf/index.php?topic=4322.msg52641#msg52641

and the ST installation article on this website:

http://www.utterpower.com/installa.htm

It has been well known for a long time that ST groaning is largely caused by electrical load unbalance if it is wired for 240V.  It is also well known that you can only use half the effective power of your ST if it is wired for 240V.  You should only wire for 240V if you have circuits that require 240V.  Again, suggest reading the above.  However, you can still wire both sides of your transfer switch panel by splitting the ST 120V to both sides of panel to feed all your 120V circuits.  Just be sure to use the appropriate gauge wire assuming that any one side could receive the full ST rated power.

Doug

• View Profile
    • Doug's Petteroid Stuff
« Reply #24 on: December 13, 2009, 02:26:07 AM »
Ontraio Industrial electrician...
Ontario electric motor rewinder...
( Goverment regulated trades )
Technologist, OCCETT certified CET...

I guess I had it wrong all these years.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2009, 02:43:31 AM by Doug »

xyzer

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 13, 2009, 02:55:49 AM »
  It is also well known that you can only use half the effective power of your ST if it is wired for 240V. 

Hmmm I'm not an expert for sure but from what I do know(think I know) you can use 100% if wired 240v if both 120v sides are balanced loads?!....or a 240v load.... Straighten me out if I am smokin... ;D
« Last Edit: December 13, 2009, 02:57:20 AM by xyzer »
Vidhata 6/1 portable
Power Solutions portable 6/1
Z482 KUBOTA

Tom

• Green power is good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 13, 2009, 03:22:23 AM »
Sail and Doug, I think you are both right. I have used my ST5 extensively in both configurations. Right now it is wired for 240 because that is the way the inverters are setup for my home and when the batteries are being charged the load is equally balanced at 13 amps per leg. It stays balanced because the inverters back off the charging load as the house load is increased. So right now 240 VAC is the best way to run the head.

During construction the ST5 was wired for 120 VAC because we were running large saws and compressors that would overload a single leg. The system can also start a much larger load in that configuration too. So in that situation that was the best way to run the head. It just depends on what you are trying to do with it.
Tom
2004 Ashwamegh 6/1 #217 - ST5 just over 3k hours.

Doug

• View Profile
    • Doug's Petteroid Stuff
« Reply #27 on: December 13, 2009, 03:31:39 AM »
When some newbie come here quoting George Breckenridge and a conversation I was never part or seen and tells me years of experience are wrong well all I can say is hmm I must have wasted my life in the electrical buisness.....

Tom no offence your a decent fellow but I am considerably more than " 1/2 of both right ". If you had rewired your compressor and saw for 240 volt opperation you may have found it worked at least as good and probably better...

Tom

• Green power is good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 13, 2009, 03:42:18 AM »
Yes Doug, I have learned a LOT from your posts and am REALLY happy that you've returned to the fold so THANK YOU!!! The problem is that the newbies don't know the credentials and history of the old timers who post here. Please note though that I didn't credit anyone with what percentage they were right.  :P
Tom
2004 Ashwamegh 6/1 #217 - ST5 just over 3k hours.

sailawayrb

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 13, 2009, 04:05:18 AM »
When some newbie come here quoting George Breckenridge and a conversation I was never part or seen and tells me years of experience are wrong well all I can say is hmm I must have wasted my life in the electrical buisness.....

I am not exactly a newbie. 

http://listerenginegallery.com/main.php?g2_itemId=351

I just don't spend my time posting a LOT of BAD information.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2009, 04:13:16 AM by sailawayrb »