Author Topic: Vissit with Tijean  (Read 4157 times)

Doug

• Why don't pictures ever work for me?
    • View Profile
    • Doug's Petteroid Stuff
Vissit with Tijean
« on: October 20, 2009, 06:51:32 PM »
Tijean dropped by today to see me with a Coleman lantern in need of fixing.

After a few hours of tinkering he now has a nice flicker free 236 that sghould be good for years to come. We also had nice chat about Listeroid and Petteroid engines.

Thank you for the Dozen farm fresh real eggs and look forward to next time your in town so we can have a cup of coffee again.

Fine people on this forum I wish more of use could get together and meet.

Doug 
It's a Good Life, If You Don't Weaken

Stan

Re: Vissit with Tijean
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2009, 09:07:32 PM »
I've got to agree with that.  I've met and chatted with John, Andrew and Troy so far.  All great people. ;D
Stan

Doug

• View Profile
    • Doug's Petteroid Stuff
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2009, 09:42:02 PM »
There have been others that called on me from time to time and wanted to drop in but it seems bad things happen at the worst times.

And I hope next time I get around Barry I can drop in on Rob and vissit or next time he is in my area I can offer him some hospitatlity.

I'm frying those eggs tonight  ;D

Tijean

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2009, 10:50:36 PM »
Just home and stashed my treasures; had to fire up the old Coleman again just to make sure it was not just running on the magic of your workbench Doug.

Yes, it is nice to get together for a face to face with people you have met in cyberspace. Dougs reference to other methods for just a bit of lighting being more efficient than running an engine,  led to us to getting together on this gas lantern resurrection today and of course off onto some philosophical rants and general solving of what ails the world today! Lots of things from the recent past need preserving unless you really feel good about the future. I imagine there are lots of us here on this forum are hedging our bets in this regard; what a bunch of throwbacks,  :)
Frank

10/1 Jkson, ST5 gen. head

Doug

• View Profile
    • Doug's Petteroid Stuff
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2009, 11:52:09 PM »
For those who need parts....

http://www.oldcolemanparts.com/

Bob is a nice fellow that seems to be able to pull just about any obscolete part out like magic.

http://www.leacockcolemancenter.com/

And these nice Amish people have new lamps and lanterns as well as premium quality Thorium mantles. recently they hada special on some new table lamps based loosely on the early Coleman table lamps that wen t out of production in 1970 here in Canada ( much earlier in the USA ). Any how they were selling this fantastic 2 mantle table lamp with a nice plain nickel base made from all new parts and its used the Coleman T44 gas generator soe parts for it will be available for years to come. I am particularly fond of the T44 based lanterns because a simple gas jet change will allow them to burn Kerosene or Gasoline 

Thorium realy is the only way to go if your going to be serious about a gas lamp sinc ethey are brighter and longer lasting.

For may last tid bit of info follow this link:
http://oldtownyucca.websitetoolbox.com/post?id=3422414

There are a lot of parts out there you just can't get anymore and if your a handy fellow this list will tell you what you can use tomake a replacement part that will work. Special thanks to my friend Matthew for taking the time to measure and document all these parts.
Tijean this is how I was able to figuere out the R gas tip from the 635 would be a close match for the Obscolete triangle gas tip you needed.
Also a clever fellow can read this list and use to to do fuel conversions of older lantern types fdor example lest say you have the old standard red 200A and would like it to burn Kerosene. The list will tell you how to do it. Lets say you have a 228 lantern or 157 lamp and would like to make it run on Kerosene the list will tell you how to do it too!

Eugen

• 12V electric start on a CS 6/1 using chevy starter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2009, 02:03:56 AM »
Doug:

Anytime your heading South I'm 40 minutes from ParrySound onĀ  Highway 518 East or 16 minutes West on highway 518 at the Emsdale exit on Highway 11. Your cordially invited for a coffee or what ever you prefer. I even have an old Coleman lantern that hasn't seen the light of day for a lot oif years, needs globe among othher things.

Eugen

Doug

• View Profile
    • Doug's Petteroid Stuff
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2009, 10:41:17 PM »
As a matter of fact Eugen I may be heading south to look for work in the next few weeks.

What kind of lamp do you have?
Post a picture if not sure and I can probably tell you what you have.

I don't have a whole lot of spares left and I have parted with things I will probably regrete for years to come but I know the people I have posted links too do have a lot of parts and although not cheap they have almost anything you need.

Where I shine is making things for example Tijean needed a new 236-299 gen for his 236. This part has been out of production since 1990 but I can make or repair them. I can also make the Q99 and just about any other tip with the exception of the R55 roto gens ( and thtas something you can still buy ).

If there is enough interest in this stuff I may put up a for sale sign on some of the things left but to be honest I don't feel to good about that idea. Some of this stuff has become dear to me and just typing this and thinking about it makes my head pound.

I would like to encourage everyone here to look for a 242 or a 200 lantern since these are so easy and forgiving to work on and with a few simple modifications can burn Gasoline or Kerosene. These are the lanterns everyone should have

http://s426.photobucket.com/albums/pp344/Dougwp/Coleman%20stuff/?action=view&current=100_8892.jpg

Technicly these are 247 kerosene lanterns ( the one on the left is opne I made from parts ) but a 242 or a 200 can easily be converted. In the winter I cary one in the car just incase of an accident or something since the can put out as much heat as small stove for warming yourself up and most importantly being seen if stranded ina storm.

Ya I realy enjoy the one on the left I call it the MilScout since its one part 247 Scout ( for kerosne or gasoline ) and 1 part US army 252. I take this with me when I go out for extened hours at night. Its a fluke realy a massive tollerence stack up that gave me a lantern with the heat and power output close to a big frame. The down side it it demands special a blend of diesel fuel lol. 

Eugen

• 12V electric start on a CS 6/1 using chevy starter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2009, 02:24:52 PM »
Doug,

The lantern I was reffering to I cannot locate right now (in the barn somwhere) the only thing I can tell you about it is that it had a red base. However  I did locate another one I have and it is a 242b it also needs some repair in the pump area the plunger with the leather on it is missing everything else looks good. It was a dump special, I felt sorry for it and gave it a new home more than a few yerars ago.

Cheers,

Eugen

Doug

• View Profile
    • Doug's Petteroid Stuff
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2009, 09:36:54 PM »
send me a PM with youe email and I will see what I can scare up for you.

The leather is the easy part....