Puppeteer

Author Topic: Lister attempts escape!  (Read 20657 times)

ronmar

• View Profile
Re: Lister attempts escape!
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2010, 08:11:05 PM »
Well not all of the piston/rod assembly movement is vertical.  The lower end swinging around with the crank imparts energy throughout the crank rotation.  The remaining purely vertical movement you are not going to be able to compensate for, at least not without a counterbalance shaft running in opposition to the piston travel(active compensation).  The purely vertical part of the equation is also very small compared to the overall weight of the engine/generator.  My 6/1 with frame and generator weighs in at just shy of 1000#.  The piston/wrist pin weight is about 8.8#, that combined with the mostly vertical moving part of the rod means that only about 1% of the all up weight is trying to lift the the generator up and down.  It just won't move with that little energy input, especially considering it is a smooth sinosoidal acceleration/deceleration.  It would have to impart greater than 1000# of force to even start to move the assembly vertical.  You could set it on springs and measure it, but you will still not be able to counter it with flywheel weight alone, so there is no point in going to the effort.  The best and smoothest running comes from countering as closely as possible the spinning forces, which is most easilly measured in the horizontal plane, and let the mass of the assembly absorb the purely vertical forces... 
PS 6/1 - ST-5.

Tijean

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2010, 11:58:25 PM »
Somewhere between 50 and 65% of the piston and rod reciprocating weight is generally recommended. I am sure it will be different between a horizontal and a vertical cylinder arrangement. Weight should be evenly distributed either side of the reciprocating mass or you will have rocking motions which seem more annoying than thump straight up and down or fore and aft. Harder to chase down also.
Frank

10/1 Jkson, ST5 gen. head

vtmetro

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2010, 03:55:36 AM »
The piston/wrist pin weight is about 8.8#, that combined with the mostly vertical moving part of the rod means that only about 1% of the all up weight is trying to lift the the generator up and down.  It just won't move with that little energy input, especially considering it is a smooth sinosoidal acceleration/deceleration.  It would have to impart greater than 1000# of force to even start to move the assembly vertical.

Sorry, I don't buy it.

You think the fully absorbed impact force of an nine pound mass at velocity is still nine pounds? So since you are able to divide 8.8  by 1000  (for your full genset) with a calculator, and hit the percent key, the force of the piston rod assembly is proportional to its stationary weight? And so therefore can't move the genset? Uhhhhhh, no.

Sorry. Here's an experiment, drop an 9 pound iron ball from say 15 feet onto a scale, while taking a high speed movie of the scale dial. Then run it back frame by frame. and tell me if it reads 9 pounds for the whole sequence.

Look, just think for a second. What do you think is the point of the Lister's cast-in counterweights? Don't tell me two sizable chunks of cast iron at about 20" diameter are simply there to oppose a couple inches of crank rotary mass!

Sorry, yes, those counterweights are designed to oppose the vertical reciprocating forces. Of course they do an approximate job, since they're rotary --as I already pointed out. So you necessarily get horizontal oscillation if you put your engine on rollers.

Okay, we're determined to chalk this rollered engine in front, not on top. Hmmm, how do we re-balance to get the chalk even?

Well, we need to actually saw the Lister balance weights off, and add a small weight equal to the crank's swinging mass at only a few inches out on a spoke. Just like the crank.

Gosh, that's a big weight savings. We've exactly countered the crank, and rid the engine of those destabilizing rim weights pushing the engine horizontally back and forth across the rollers, making chalk spots on the rim. Of course our engine started jumping off the rollers and pounding them into the ground, which wasn't too good for chalking either, since the chalk got smashed when the engine tipped over.

ronmar

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2010, 07:23:18 AM »

Sorry, I don't buy it.

You think the fully absorbed impact force of an nine pound mass at velocity is still nine pounds? So since you are able to divide 8.8  by 1000  (for your full genset) with a calculator, and hit the percent key, the force of the piston rod assembly is proportional to its stationary weight? And so therefore can't move the genset? Uhhhhhh, no.

UHHH, I didn't say that, but by the way I wrote that post above, i can see how you might get that impression.  If you re-read carefully, you will note the reference to a smooth sinosoidal accelleration and deceleration.  Yes, the generated force is greater than the all up weight of the purely vertical moving components.  But it is not 100 times as much. That would be the force required to move the engne vertically even .001"

Sorry. Here's an experiment, drop an 9 pound iron ball from say 15 feet onto a scale, while taking a high speed movie of the scale dial. Then run it back frame by frame. and tell me if it reads 9 pounds for the whole sequence.

Well of course it wouldn't.  Here is one for you.  Drop that same 9# ball from 15' onto a scale, but add 2.5"(radius of the crank throw) of foam rubber just dense enough to fully compress just as the ball reaches 0 velocity.  In this case, the peak weight registered won't be much more than the static weight of the ball, and certainly not 100X  If it were, no engine on the planet could survive the pounding.

Look, just think for a second. What do you think is the point of the Lister's cast-in counterweights? Don't tell me two sizable chunks of cast iron at about 20" diameter are simply there to oppose a couple inches of crank rotary mass!

Yes, that is exactly why they are there, for that and the big end of that massive connecting rod. VT, have you ever balanced one of these?  You see, I have the unique experience of balancing a 6/1 with wheels like this(note the lack of cast in counterweight).

OK, so here are the numbers from my balance.  The figure I used for conrod bigend weight plus a bit more for part of the conrod that is still partially radial in motion(about 65% of the reciprocating mass) is 13.64# Those were numbers measured/calculated by XYZER, and I believe them to be very close to the mark.  I estimate the ammount of cast iron in the crank throw to equal about 6.38# based on .2604# per cubic inch of cast iron. That is a total of 19.81# or 316.86 OZ at a 2.5" moment(distance from center of crankshaft). The metal removed from the shaft  keyway that is not filled by the key is mostly compensated for by the head of the key(enough metal to mostly fill the rest of the keyway) so I didn't figure this in. That 316.86 OZ at 2.5" should be able to be balanced by 1/4 the weight, 79.22 OZ at four times the distance, or a 10" opposing moment.  It just so happens that the inside of the flywheel rim where I put my lead counterweight is just over 10" from the center of the crankshaft.  My finished counterweights totaled around 74 OZ...

Sorry, yes, those counterweights are designed to oppose the vertical reciprocating forces. Of course they do an approximate job, since they're rotary --as I already pointed out. So you necessarily get horizontal oscillation if you put your engine on rollers.

Okay, we're determined to chalk this rollered engine in front, not on top. Hmmm, how do we re-balance to get the chalk even?

Well, we need to actually saw the Lister balance weights off, and add a small weight equal to the crank's swinging mass at only a few inches out on a spoke. Just like the crank.

Gosh, that's a big weight savings. We've exactly countered the crank, and rid the engine of those destabilizing rim weights pushing the engine horizontally back and forth across the rollers, making chalk spots on the rim. Of course our engine started jumping off the rollers and pounding them into the ground, which wasn't too good for chalking either, since the chalk got smashed when the engine tipped over.

You have obviously never done any real balance work on one of these. You can chalk mark from on top of the wheel all day long, but you are not going to get anything more than a circle all the way around a true wheel, as they don't move vertical.  Even without counterweights on the wheels, my engine frame and generator didn't move all that much.   It surely didn't move vertical, even with all the radial forces added to the recip forces as the piston arrived at TDC... 

Trying to balance for the constantly changing vertical reciprocating forces(piston and upper rod travel) with a constant radial force(flywheel counterweights) is a fools errand.  Theyt don't call single cylinder engines without counterbalance shafts "thumpers" without good reason.  You could counter all the vertical forces, but the radial forces necessary to do this would cause the engine to move as much if not more in the horizontal plane, especially since the assembly dosn't have gravity or the earth's surface to counter the forces in this plane(less natural resistance in the horizontal). The best you are ever going to get one of these engines is to counter all the constant radial forces, then you are only left with the purely recip/vertical forces, which are pretty easilly dampened with mass, or a properly engineered resilient mount with the proper damping/energy absorption properties.  I like mass.  it is good to have gravity on your side...

Vtmetro, might I suggest you cut the flywheel counterweights off a big single and balance one from the ground up.  It is a wonderfull learning experience...
« Last Edit: May 31, 2010, 07:40:01 AM by ronmar »
PS 6/1 - ST-5.

Stan

« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2010, 03:43:30 PM »
Do the search for Mr. X method.  Lots of guys on here past and present have done it and found it works.  All the theory in the world doesn't count when in practice it works.  I'm not involved myself, as Penelope was made in Dursley, but there have been numerous listeroids balanced by the Mr. X method and attested to on this site.
Stan

vtmetro

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2010, 03:35:58 AM »
Still unconvinced. The counterweights as measured on my Metro 6/1 are 13" long by 1-5/8" wide by 3/4" thick. There are two of them. They average just under 10" from the center of the shaft.Their combined weight is 13 x 1.625 x .75 x .26 x 16 = 132 oz.

That's a lot more than 74 oz. So why do you think that is? Is it a 60 oz mistake on the part of the builder? Or compensation for the reciprocating mass of the piston/rod beyond the swinging weight of the crank/rod ?
« Last Edit: June 01, 2010, 03:39:34 AM by vtmetro »

M61hops

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 01, 2010, 04:03:06 AM »
Hi guys, I've tried to post a few times but it doesn't go through >:(.  I turned my 6-1 Metro from an unusable boat anchor into a useable engine by doing a trial and error balancing job.  I removed the COV plug and set up a 3HP golf cart motor to spin the engine at 637 RPM.  This worked out quite well and only took a few hours.  I got the engine from a guy who couldn't use it because it would jump up off the ground at just above the slowest idle speed at which it would run.  Using chalk just confused me so I ended up just trial and error.  The amount of weight and location didn't seem very critical though I did use a dial indicator to try and get the least shuffle I could.  I made weights from some 3/16 wall rectangular tubing so I had some U shape pieces that straddle the ridge in the middle of the flywheel and clamp on with screws through holes I threaded in the sides of the weights.  I ended up with about a pound of weight on each flywheel about 40 degrees ahead of the cast in weights.  Without these weights the engine had tremendous lifting force at pretty low speed  :o, I couldn't believe how much force it lifted with!  With the new weights, no jumping and about 1/4" of back and forth shuffle with the engine & generator frame sitting on 2 1" pipes so that it can move freely; except for I had it restrained with bungee cords and chains so it couldn't totally escape the yard  ;).  This was very much worth the time spent!                         Leland
I pray everyday giving thanks that I have one of the "fun" mental disorders!

vtmetro

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2010, 05:37:14 AM »
"Without these weights the engine had tremendous lifting force at pretty low speed  Shocked, I couldn't believe how much force it lifted with!"

Hello Leland. Hmmm, lifting. Would you say that was more than .001"?

ronmar

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 01, 2010, 06:11:35 AM »
Still unconvinced. The counterweights as measured on my Metro 6/1 are 13" long by 1-5/8" wide by 3/4" thick. There are two of them. They average just under 10" from the center of the shaft.Their combined weight is 13 x 1.625 x .75 x .26 x 16 = 132 oz.

That's a lot more than 74 oz. So why do you think that is? Is it a 60 oz mistake on the part of the builder? Or compensation for the reciprocating mass of the piston/rod beyond the swinging weight of the crank/rod ?

Yes, I would say it is a 60OZ mistake.  I know of two different people who have placed their 6/1 wheels on a bubble balancer and added test weight opposite the cast in counter weight to determine how much the cast counterweight actually weighs.  One is Magicjack, the other is Quinnf. Perhaps he will chime in here with his measurements.  At any rate, Both determined that the cast in counterweight was in the vicinity of 42-43 OZ on their flywheels... 

You are taking a lot for granted with that indian assembled wonder you are running.  There have been a lot of cases of missmatched parts and poor machinework and assembly comming from india. Incorrect flywheels on an engine would not surprise me in the least...

I don't know how your engine is mounted or installed, but here is a simple test for your 6/1.  Get about 50-60OZ of modeling clay and start adding it equally both sides of both flywheels, just inside the rim directly opposite to your cast in counter weight and see if it smooths out any...

My 6/1, frame and generator weighs in at right around 1000#.  When I did my balance work I set the whole assembly on 3/4" steel rod rollers on my concrete garage floor.  I could push the whole assembly easilly with my fingertip.  I spun the crank with an electric motor(no torque pulses to confuse things) and initially used chalk to get the weight close.  I finished up with a dial indicator affixed to the floor.  When I was done with the balance and had the 74Oz of lead permanently attached to the flywheel, I ran the engine with 1.5KW of load on the generator.  While still setting on the rollers, I had .015" of fore/aft movement...  How smooth is yours...
« Last Edit: June 01, 2010, 07:04:29 AM by ronmar »
PS 6/1 - ST-5.

ronmar

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 01, 2010, 06:55:31 AM »
"Without these weights the engine had tremendous lifting force at pretty low speed  Shocked, I couldn't believe how much force it lifted with!"

Hello Leland. Hmmm, lifting. Would you say that was more than .001"?

More info please Leland.  How was the engine mounted.  What RPM was it operating at, and was it steady at this RPM?  The effects of torque injected into the balance quesation can really muddy the waters.  Are you sure it was going vertcal, and not just trying to stand up on it's hind legs like the engine in this video does at startup?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3a6RZFHyIdQ

VTmetro, I did a little math this morning because I was curious and realized I had never attempted to figure it out.  A 6/1 with 2.5" of crank throw operating at 650 RPM has a peak piston speed of 14.18 FPS.  Decelerating from that speed to 0 in 2.5" of travel, it will pull 15G.  9# X 15G = 135# of force, or less than 1/5 of the typical 6/1 engine weight...
PS 6/1 - ST-5.

vtmetro

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 01, 2010, 02:01:38 PM »
Good work. Not quite 9 lbs of force  (or 1%) Inow. But good on you for reporting it.

Okay Ronmar, how about some further refinements to the model? If interested please add in the portion of the rod I believe you omitted to your 9 pounds of reciprocating mass in your calculation, and rework.

Okay, now calculate the location of your center of mass for the genset (not the engine) since you are claiming an "engine weight" of 1000 lbs.) we need to know where this "1000 lbs." is effectively located. Not on the engine C/L for sure since you're actually including the frame and gen-head in "engine weight". (By the way, this is of course not what an engine manufacturer would do, since he is balancing the engine, not unknown attachments).

Now work out the moment arm to that mass center for the new force you calculated above and apply it there to your 1000 lbs since your "engine" will now have a rotational component attempting to lift one end of the mass. Not done yet.....

Now calculate the spring rate for your bed supports and/or moment arm to attachment point or rollers, crate bottom, or whatever you are using, and do a harmonic frequency analysis for various modes remembering to calculating the downward thrust of the engine and the spring reaction upthrust as well, and apply these to your model.

Or to save some work, several people I've come across in the threads so far report hopping or vertical movement of their engines. Maybe we should just believe them.

Also of interest, please check out the thread where MR X gave his original balancing method. The thread is interesting for more than just that method. We read there:

About balnace factor: I borrowed this from the virtual Indian:

The "balance factor" is the percentage of the reciprocating masses being balanced by flywheel counterweight.

A motor with low balance factor thus vibrates up and down a lot and vibrates fore and aft a little. The extreme case would be a vertically mounted single cylinder motor with ZERO balance factor (only rotating masses balanced). This motor vibrates only up and down. The same motor 100% balanced would only vibrate fore and aft. The basics apply to V-Twins as well, with other things equal the wider the cylinder angle the more the motor vibrates fore and aft. Thus: An identical flywheel assembly put in different cylinder angle motors would have a different balance factor.
Kinematics (the angle of the rod on the downstroke) play the role here.
Practical example: Late Indian Sport Scouts have a balance factor of 82%. If you put Sport Scout flywheels rods and pistons in 45 degree cases the balance factor rises to a little over 84%. This small difference would be only noticable in racing motors if at all.
Scott E

ronmar

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 01, 2010, 03:24:12 PM »
Boy you sure like to put words into my mouth.  When i said 135# was less than 1/5 of the engine weight, I was refering to the typical 750# engine only weight.  But since it is foolish to run one of these not bolted to SOMETHING, there will always be some other weight to factor in.  In my case I was speaking from my experience and that weight is 1000#.  I never said the engine weighed 1000#.  An unsecured engine is naturally going to move all over the place, especially on uneven casting feet as the running forces(mainly torque) are redirected by the wobbling engine so they appear to fotate or wobble.  There are quite a few videos of unrestrained, or pallet mount startups, and non of them hop...

As for the other calculations you request, they are unnecessary as the force to lift the engine vertically just isn't there.  Even without flywheel counterweights, mine never went vertical...  Yes the CG will be somewhere between the engine and generator, probably near the back feet of the engine base.  If the force were there, this would create a rocking motion.  Mine also never did this without flywheel weights.  It did have a good thump you could feel in your feet as the vertical and recip forces combined at top and bottom dead center.  It also tried to drag the 1000# assembly back and forth across the floor as the rotating forces pushed and pulled the engine fore/aft  Once I removed the recip forces, it has very little thump and is pleasant to run.

You ask about the unrecorded rod end weight I neglected to include in my calculations.  Lets go one better.  Force equals mass times acceleration.  If you removed the flywheel weights and the counter force they provide, at just the engine weight of around 750#, it would take 50# of total recip weight decelerating from 14.18FPS to 0 FPS in 2.5" to just equal the weight of the engine.  It would take additional mass beyond 50# to provide any lifting force.  I forget the weight of the entire rod, but I don't think it + piston total 50#.  So if the flywheel counterweights are countering most all of the rod mass, where is this mystical lifting force comming from?  To put this vertical force into perspective, 14.18 feet per second equates to 9.66 MPH...

That method Mr X is refering to is talking about motorcycle engines.  you know in a frame and attached to springs and air filled tires.  Springs store and release energy so the up and down vibration can be seen and felt.  heck, you can compress the motorcycle springs with force from your hand... 
PS 6/1 - ST-5.

vtmetro

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 02, 2010, 04:16:22 AM »
Sorry, ronmar I did indeed misquote you. You said generator weight, not "engine weight." My only excuse was I continue to think in terms of balancing an engine, and so read what you said inaccurately. Apologies.

Continuing, I don't believe that the mass and acceleration of the piston and rod alone account for all of the vertical forces involved, so I would very much have liked to see you calculate what they were, for accuracy sake. Saying they would have to be 50 lbs to cause the case to move vertically is not something I necessarily disagree with, but it isn't relevant to me since I see the the added weight's contribution as part of the picture, not all of it.

We started out with a statement that we had 8.8 pounds of weight opposing 1000 lbs. (1% you said) and by now have moved on to say it was 135 pounds of force opposing 750 lbs. A very different picture of the forces involved, and an important conceptual modification. But the 135 figure is also wrong and needs to be increased, I think you agree.

If you don't mind, in the interest of everyone's else's general understanding, I'll try a lazy method of calculating it, please object loudly and correct me if it doesn't seem accurate or fair:

You took 65% of the conrod mass as rotational and gave a figure for that as 13.64 pounds (I believe). I'd like to grab the remaining 35% if that's okay and call it reciprocal. That seems to be 7.34 pounds (unless I misunderstood your earlier statement.)

Now if the 8.8 pounds you calculated earlier yields 135 pounds of force and we add another 7.34 pounds to that weight, we might guess that the force increases proportionally. So that looks like another 113 pounds or so of force. Total force tending to lift is now 248 pounds. Not enough to do it yet on its own, of course, as you say, but very substantial.

However, what goes up must come down. We also have a force of 248 pounds force headed down every tenth of a second or so and through the crankcase trying to compress whatever is beneath the engine. If the engine is bolted solid to massive concrete, bedrock, etc. we naturally can't bounce.

If it's not, we may bounce more or less depending on what we are on and how attached. That is usually because of an equivalent form of spring compression beneath the engine, and it is caused by the engine appearing to weigh 1000 pounds  one moment, and 500 pounds about a tenth of a second later to whatever it is on.

In a worst case resonant scenario, our spring will store 1000 pounds of energy, and release that against an apparent 500 pound weight every tenth of a second. In this situation, without damping, as in the case of the Tacoma Narrows Bridge which destroyed itself in a moderate wind, our engine may toss itself overboard.

That's unlikely to occur, unless someone intentionally tuned for resonance, or was incredibly unlucky in their choice of mounting. Luckily with damping, restraint, and/or a different spring resonance, we will see less vertical movement, but not necessarily no vertical movement, unless an engine is completely restrained from downward compression.

Restraining is not the same thing as balancing. You can definitely stop vertical and horizontal movement by preventing it, without balancing at all. Is that desirable? That's an open question. Noise and power pulsing transmitted through the ground is often reduced by a compressible mounting system.

I have not added in calculations for the effect I also asked about because of the offset center of mass of the genset .The reciprocating forces would then act on a fairly long moment arm offset to the side of the engine. But we've already got enough going without it to get things moving vertically. I think it isn't necessary to make the case further.

An engine can obviously move vertically, depending on many factors. The forces involved are not trivial -- an 8.8 pound piston and conrod can generate far more force than the numeric relationship of its weight to the overall weight of an engine.

My original question that started this was whether chalking on top of the flywheel would help in balancing an engine's reciprocating masses. I didn't understand why one would chalk in front of the engine. I do now understand that in some specific cases rotary balance is poor, (as in the case of a non-counterbalanced engine) and a particular engine is suffering from excessive fore and aft movement. If that engine is normally mounted to be restrained vertically, and ground pulsing is not a problem, then balancing fore and aft 100% for that case is fine.

My engine is well restrained fore and aft, and less restrained vertically. It has a buried railroad tie in graduated sand mount. The ties cannot move horizontally but are freer vertically. The genset frame is welded heavy channel.

I do have a somewhat objectionable amount of ground transmitted pulsing, as well as channel edge vertical flexing and I wondered if balancing could help reduce this. Balancing fore and aft didn't make much sense to me in this situation. Adding a rubber mat under the channel, as sometimes described to reduce noise might add to the vertical component, so I wondered if I could get better vertical balance with the chalk method on top of the flywheel. Hence the original question.

The proof of the pudding is in the eating. The real way to tell what is happening is to try it. At some point I'd like to loosen the mount and add rubber underneath, then chalk from above, to check periodic vertical movement, and if present, add weights to shift the balance percentage as described elsewhere. If not, report to ronmar, on my fool's errand.

As a side note, and reason why I haven't so far, one difficulty I have is that the ground actually moves vertically now in the vicinity of the engine, so a steady rest placed on the ground is going to be well, less than steady. I'll have to figure out a way to get a stable marker before I can get any results, one way or another..

ronmar

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 02, 2010, 03:39:40 PM »
I didn't calculate the actual non countered vertical force because i didn't have immediate access to a total rod weight that i could trust.  But since the total of piston and rod is far less than 50# needed to hover an engine:)...  That 13# figure is actually the rod big end weight, + around 65% of the piston and rod small end weight, or big end + 65 percent of the reciprocating mass.  My ultimate counter weight wound up being a bit less than what the math said it should be at 65%, so ultimately I am probably countering less than 65% of the recip weight.  But I started with nothing and added weight till I got minimum horizontal  motion.  This also resulted in lowest perceived vibration thru my feet.  During my testing, I added more weight than the 74 OZ I wound up with.  It was just that any increase above that 74 OZ point increased motion and perceived vibration...

You could place an engine on the end of a longer frame with pivots on one end and springs on the engine end to isolate the engine movement mostly to a vertical plane.  This would allow some vertical motion.  The problem with chalk is that it is dependent on timing for usefull results.  Adding springs to the mix adds variables, and you also have the constant one way force of gravity that will also skew your mark results.  the fewer variables you have, the better.  I took torque pulses out of the mix by spinning my engine with an electric motor...  Even on rollers, there were timing lags in movement, so chalk only gets you so far till you need to make some educated guesses to where the next counterweight should actually go.  IMO, some way to gauge total movement such as a dial indicator to a fixed point is the best way to do this.  Chalk got me started, but ultimatly the dial indicator worked the best for me when I balanced mine.

For me the term balance means the overall reduction in forces.  With radial weight you can counter most all of the vertical forces, but the weight required will just shift the force to another plane, and perhaps even increase the overall force delivered.  That is why I called it a fools errand...   
PS 6/1 - ST-5.

M61hops

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 02, 2010, 10:54:15 PM »
Hi ronmar and vmetro, sorry for the delay in reply, I didn't see this for some reason.  I was really shocked by how hard and sudden my Metro 6-1 would jump up!  I weigh 185lbs and standing on the frame had no effect on the jumping  :o!  I think it could lift at least 1000lbs!  I had an image in my mind of the piston and rod reversing at TDC every time it hopped up; I couldn't think of anything else that could cause this to happen.  This was the reason the guy was selling the engine, it was not useable hopping like this.  I was pretty sure I could fix it so I bought it because it was so much quieter than any other diesel that I have stood next to.  I had to just trial and error the balance weights, trying to think it through gave me too much of a headache  ;D!  I think turning the engine with another motor and using a dial indicator are the best way to go about balancing a Listeroid, but I have a bad back and can't hand start a diesel anyway  :'( .  I will eventually bolt this engine, generator and AC compressor frame to a block of concrete for the mass to dampen what little movement is left and to try and get rid of the "thump" I feel in the ground when standing next to the unit.  I ended up with about 1lb of weight on each flywheel about 40 degrees ahead of the cast weights.  I tried more and less in that general area and it did not seem too critical so I settled on what seemed to be the smallest back and forth on the dial indicator and felt the smoothest to resting my hand and feet on the engine and frame.  Looking at where I had to add weight I now think that the jumping was caused by the weight of the piston/rod reversing not at TDC but accelerating down the bore as the crank arm approaches 90 degrees ATDC  ??? !  When the piston starts down the weights I added are still going up and when they get to TDC the piston is about 1/2 way down the bore.  I'm impressed that such a small amount of weight stopped the hopping, I'm not kidding, I think the engine could have lifted thousands of pounds up before I added the new weights!  I was afraid to rev the engine very much for fear of tearing the flywheels apart or breaking the crank or something else  :o !                              Leland
I pray everyday giving thanks that I have one of the "fun" mental disorders!