Author Topic: Checking for sand  (Read 2869 times)

Grael

• View Profile
Checking for sand
« on: October 07, 2009, 04:42:06 AM »
Well, as some know, I finally made the journey to Lethbridge (7.5 hours one way) to Troy's and got myself a 6/1 and a gen head. Troy mentioned that there may be some sand somewhere on a ledge by the cam. Now how do I get at this spot to check? Remove the cylinder head & cylinder and look down through where the con rod comes through? Anywhere else? Anyone have a picture? I have removed the inspection plate and checked, and I haven't found a speck of sand, and Troy mentioned that these were a pretty clean set of engines. So that's good.

I'll be relying on this engine a lot this winter, and I want to make sure there is less chance of it going wrong. ;D
GTC 8-1

"Traveling 33 RPM in an iPod world"

Stan

Re: Checking for sand
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2009, 04:48:59 AM »
Lots of folks here better than I am at finding sand in a listeroid.  I do know however that a complete teardown has been a real learning experience for me, one which I wouldn't have, in retrospect missed for the world.  I sure learned a lot doing it, and it'll make me a more caring operator.  Take my advice and tear into it, learning all the way.
Stan

Grael

• View Profile
Re: Checking for sand
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2009, 05:02:46 AM »
My net was being difficult and somehow it seemed that the first thread didn't post, so I re-submitted it and added more info. Can we continue the thread there?

Thanks.
GTC 8-1

"Traveling 33 RPM in an iPod world"