Author Topic: ROCKET BOY  (Read 8059 times)

DRDEATH

• View Profile
ROCKET BOY
« on: September 30, 2009, 08:02:14 PM »
Rocket boy I need to speak to you if possible. I concerns my lister engine. It is not one of yours but I think you might have the answer. My email address is listed but I would rather speak in person. My phone # is 620 339 5671. It has to do with oil filtration on a 24/2. If you send me a tele # by email I have free calling US wide. Thank you, DRDEATH (Mike Lisenby)
Breast cancer kills. It takes money to save lives.

cujet

• Lister power rules!
    • View Profile
    • www.cujet.com
Re: ROCKET BOY
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2009, 09:53:13 PM »

Dr Death,

I drilled and tapped (1/8th pipe) the top plug of the oil pump. I then hooked a hose to it and through the oil filter.

It comes out of the oil filter, goes through a 0.035 inch orifice and drains back into the sump. I simply drilled and tapped a hole in the block.

Chris
People who count on their fingers should maintain a discreet silence

westcoaster

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2009, 01:17:43 AM »
FOUND HIM!!!!

zipping about in the swiss alps....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-oQ--U-WaQ&feature=fvw

DRDEATH

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2009, 04:14:49 AM »
Ok Chris I see where you are talking about. My next question what is the route of oil flow. Is the filtration done before it enters the berrings or is this just a type of clean up filter to keep the sump clean. Then I noticed another engine that had a pressure valve in that spot. Will this change the oil pressure? Sorry for all of the questions, I just want to help make my engine last as long as possible. DRDEATH, Mike
Breast cancer kills. It takes money to save lives.

cujet

• Lister power rules!
    • View Profile
    • www.cujet.com
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2009, 04:03:24 AM »
Hi Mike,

In my "bypass" filter setup, the oil pressure is not affected by the installation of the filter due to the tiny flow rate through the filter.

The oil flow is as follows:

Out the top of the oil pump
Into the inlet of the filter
Out of the filter and into a "fitting" with a small orifice.
Out of the fitting and into a hole I drilled in the block

The filtered oil flows very slowly through the filter, like a fast drip, not a stream. Remember, the pump only produces a tiny amount of pressure but a fairly decent flow rate. It also does not pressure lubricate anything. It provides a flow to the center bearing and to the roller bearings. However, splash lube can do just as good a job in this case.

Most listeroids have oil pumps that don't retain prime. That means there is no oil pressure at all when the pump loses it's prime. Rocketboys oil pump failed for many hours without any problems at all. The listeroid is really a splash lubricated design.

The filtered oil never directly lubricates anything. However, if you are very clever, you could use it to lube the #2 injection pump cam and roller. (a problem on the twins).

Amsoil sells a spin on type bypass filter. You could use just about any remote filter. I chose the Motorguard filter due to the 1/2 micron filtering capacity.

Rocketboy does not have a filter on his twin.

billswan

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2009, 04:19:49 AM »
cujet

In your post above you mention a "Motorguard filter" that has a 1/2 micron rating.

Where would I purchase such a filter?

Is motorguard a brand or is it ford?

Is there a part number?

Is the filter an oil only or can fuel be run through it also?

After rereading your post I assume it must be some sort of bypass filter?

Thanks for your time.

Billswan
16/1 Metro  in the harness choking on WMO ash!!

10/1 OMEGA failed that nasty WMO ash ate it

By the way what is your cylinder index?

cujet

• Lister power rules!
    • View Profile
    • www.cujet.com
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2009, 03:45:29 PM »
This is the basic unit. I think I used an M45 or an M30. The only difference is the pipe thread size.

http://www.motorguard.com/air_2.html

This is the amsoil variant. Very high quality.

http://www.syntheticwarehouse.com/bypass.htm

Here is a forum where I talk to Ralph Wood, who used to sell a fantastic bypass setup based on the Motorguard.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1088020&fpart=2

Here is where I purchased mine.

http://www.spraygunworld.com/products/MotorGuard/Motorguard%20M30.htm

Remember, the Motorguard was originally an engine oil filter. It was a common thing in the 1950's. They used toilet paper to filter the engine oil. Generally to a 0.5 micron level. I used it on the lister to keep the oil clean. It does work perfectly. The oil, while black is obviously clean. A dipstick comes out amber. And a drop of oil on paper looks clean. Not scientific, I know, but it's good enough for a lister.