Author Topic: Progress on the Ruston & Hornsby 1ZHR  (Read 64020 times)

listerdiesel

• View Profile
Re: Progress on the Ruston & Hornsby 1ZHR
« Reply #75 on: March 13, 2014, 10:19:24 AM »
Not quite as nice outside today, but the whisper of a bit of sunshine, so I had a quick lunch and went out to change the filter and water bowl on the 1ZHR.

Although we have never yet suffered with any water on this engine, I wanted a bigger reservoir so I could see it without the distortions of the smaller glass bowl, which has internal ribs moulded into its bowl.

Despite my taking some care over removing the old filter, it came away with a jerk and I splashed diesel over the chassis, but not too much, the drain container got most of it.

Old filter and bowl:

New filter and bowl:

Bled it and that was that. There was some very fine rust particles in the bottom of the old filter, probably from the tank, but no water at all.

Couldn't run it as the offices above me had their windows open, and although Leanne would close them if I asked, I don't need to run it right now.

Peter

listerdiesel

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: April 18, 2014, 10:07:11 AM »
We took the Ruston and trailer up to Shildon in County Durham last weekend, for a vintage machinery show at the National Railway Museum (there are two, one at York, the main one and the other at Shildon which is the overspill site)

Weather was very cold with a bitter wind, the Ruston ran near 20 degrees (C) cooler than normal, but ran the whole day without any problems.

Another Ruston, this one is a 1HR, 5hp, the smallest of the range:

and finally a 1XHR, 8hp:

Peter

honda lee

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: April 18, 2014, 10:05:07 PM »
I see these pics and  I can't help but to say out loud ( Isn't  this engine beautiful ?). It seems I am the only one in my house that has that reaction.

listerdiesel

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: January 25, 2015, 08:28:38 PM »
Both the Rustons are up for sale, the 1YB has provisionally sold, the 1ZHR is still available.

Peter