Author Topic: Progress on the Ruston & Hornsby 1ZHR  (Read 64033 times)

listerdiesel

• View Profile
Progress on the Ruston & Hornsby 1ZHR
« on: September 25, 2009, 10:29:31 PM »
Various happenings while the forum has been down, and also I haven't had a lot of spare time to chat or show what's been going on, but here are the pictures of the Ruston & Hornsby 1ZHR diesel and the new trolley and chassis. There is a Start-O-Matic alternator that is going onto the end of the chassis, that was reconditioned earlier in the year. The pulleys and layshaft are for the speed step-up to get 1500rpm out of the Ruston's 375 rpm.

First picture is the trolley (Ex Trident aircraft aircon rig) with the chassis frame mounted loosely on top.

Then we have the bolted down frame.

The engine is put on bit by bit (It all has to come off again....)

Holes drilled for the 3/4" or 20mm through-bolts to hold the engine down (3 bolts only)

Couple of closer shots of the engine with the crankshaft laid in place.

Couple of shots of the layshaft and the flywheels in place (34" diameter)

It's only a display unit, it will not be used for house power as we don't get that many power cuts in the UK, and we have any number of Onan and Villiers-powered gennies around the place to run electrics for a few hours.

Peter
« Last Edit: September 27, 2009, 12:37:05 PM by listerdiesel »

Doug

• Why don't pictures ever work for me?
    • View Profile
    • Doug's Petteroid Stuff
Re: Progress on the Ruston & Hornsby 1ZHR
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2009, 10:52:36 PM »
Looks very nice Peter keep us posted
It's a Good Life, If You Don't Weaken

listerdiesel

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2009, 11:32:36 PM »
Will do, the Start-O-Matic alternator rebuild was done earlier this year, I might put those pictures up if there's enough interest.

The pictures all were taken with a Sony Mavica 1.2mp camera, not bad!  It is almost as good as my Sony 5mp for sharpness.

Peter

listerdiesel

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2009, 12:38:54 PM »
The Start-O-Matic alternator was bought secondhand for £65 including the remains of the top control box.

We stripped the alternator down and went through the unit, changed the main bearings but most of what was left was pretty goo.

The pictures tell most of the story.

At the start, the armature was taken out, cleaned up and skimmed. Bearings changed etc.

The stator needed a bit of TLC, and the leads were cut and extended with new cable, and the smaller ones sleeved in some high-temperature woven material sleeving. Brushes and holders were cleaned up and checked

Most of the following are shots of the brushgear and the lead-out repair.

I'll post some more as soon as I get a minute or three  ;)

Peter
« Last Edit: May 02, 2010, 09:04:04 AM by listerdiesel »

Doug

• View Profile
    • Doug's Petteroid Stuff
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2009, 03:08:37 PM »
Peter I have a little discomfort looking at the general conditon of that Alternator and being returned to service in that condition.

In your place I migh look to buy a gallon of light Naphtha and a soft brust and try and clean any grease and oils off before I went any further. I know you have some experience with this sort of thing with this sort of thing from the railway and its obvious from the way you have made ther repairs but I think a good solvent cleaning and a coat of air dry varnish would go a long way to protecting your investment in time and effort.

Doug

listerdiesel

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2009, 12:49:14 PM »
Hi Doug:

Sorry I couldn't reply earlier, we are a bit busy with 'end of the month' builds to get out!

The armature and field coils were flash tested OK, and the general condition is better than it may appear in the pictures.

It won't be running 24/7, so i don't see a problem, but you'll be the first to hear if we do!  ;)

Peter

Doug

• View Profile
    • Doug's Petteroid Stuff
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2009, 04:04:33 PM »
No problem I understand. Lucky you for being buisy, I haven't worked since June....

My feeling is because of the age and the Organic materials used in the insulation it may need a little help.
You say you gave it a poke with an insualtion tester and it looks OK, that great! However once warmed up in service that value will drop. Its juts the nature of old windings.
The cost of a quick clean and spray with some Air dry is very little. Replacement however is considerably more.

Again its just a feeling but that insualtion looks to me to have suffered some oil and grease contamination and this combined with the natural degrading of organic material with age and exposure to oil and Carbion brush dust bother me some.

There' s nothing I can do from here it you run into some trouble with it but in your possition an ounce of preventions is worth a lorry of !@#$%# lol.

Wizard

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2009, 04:59:57 PM »
I also vote for my disturbed state about this windings condition of stator and rotor.

Get the gunk out with degreasers and have motor shop check it out and baked to dry out, if test passes the insulation test, dip both for insulation renew and mechanical integrity JUST in case!

Cheers, Wizard

listerdiesel

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2010, 09:03:11 AM »
Fast-forward a month or so, the beast is almost ready, we have had it running, there are some videos on YouTube under my username.

Here's an assortment of the latest pictures:

Still plenty to do, and we sail for Holland on the 21st May!

Peter

« Last Edit: May 02, 2010, 09:05:30 AM by listerdiesel »

listerdiesel

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2010, 07:59:39 AM »
It's all running now, there are some videos on YouTube under my username, here are the three latest ones showing the electric starting, the last one is where we have it up on wooden blocks as it was bouncing a lot on the trolley tyres:

First one is a shot as the engine is started on the motor.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kIw0v7HE494

Next is Rita starting it up while I shoot the sequence.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5vlWk3YNZhY

Last is the engine running while up on the blocks.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PUEAamOI-2A

Peter

compig

• 1953 Lister CS 6/1 SOM owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2010, 05:40:22 PM »
Thats a beauty !! Some very nice detail work there Peter !!
DON'T STEAL , THE GOVERNMENT DOESN'T LIKE COMPETITION !!!
Lister A
Onan W3S Genny
Petter A1
Villiers C45 industrial
Continental flat six powerpacket
ANOTHER Lister 6/1 CS SOM , temporarily !!!

fabricator

• Grand Haven MI
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2010, 01:40:52 AM »
That is absolutely beautiful.
BioDiesel Brewer

listerdiesel

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2010, 02:56:48 PM »
Just a bit of an update:

We took the engine to the Nuenen Stationary Engine show on the Dutch Whitsun weekend, we hadn't sorted all the electrics out, but it ran for three days off and on, the drive side was fine, the engine we ran up to 80 dec C then shut if off to cool down, the water tank was losing water through splashing out of the top and uncovered the top feeder pipe which stopped the circulation.

Going to re-jig the rotation of the Start-O-Matic unit to bring it back to normal rotation. It is at present running backwards to suit the 1ZHR's rotation.

We did forget to load the starting handle, so the Start-O-Matic starting function really had a good test.

Picture below of us as we left the rally field yesterday morning (Tuesday) to drive to the Ferry.

Peter

« Last Edit: May 26, 2010, 03:04:32 PM by listerdiesel »

mike90045

• Mendocino Metro
  • Mmmm BBQ
    • View Profile
    • Mikes Solar PV page
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2010, 08:52:40 PM »
Must have some special gear in you car, looks like you are towing more than the car weighs !!    Wonderful restore job. :)

listerdiesel

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2010, 10:14:04 PM »
Thanks, Mike:

The trailer and engine/trolley weighed in at just on 2.5 tons, the Disco is 2.2 tons empty, so with 3 adults and all our camping gear we were probably up to 2.5 tons there as well.

It's a V8 4litre engine, 183hp but we run it on LPG to keep the costs down.

Peter