Author Topic: One engine two alternators.  (Read 17935 times)

Stoaty

• View Profile
Re: One engine two alternators.
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2009, 09:34:36 PM »
I am still here. Haven't been able to get onto the forum. There is no concerns about the size of the cabling. All the cables are well oversize. They would be good on a 12v system let alone my 24v system. The current alternator is remote sensing. However it's not connected to the engine start or domestic bank. It's either in the main fuse/breaker box or in the engine terminal box. Apogee your almost spot on with how its wired . There are secondary electrical boxes in the wheelhouse for the instruments and lighting, fish hold for winches and hydraulics, Battery compartment for other domestics and 240v shore/generator power and an engine terminal box for all things associated with the lister.

A wiring diagram is the only thing missing from the boats paperwork. The schematics and build data from lister for the engine are a work of art.

Mobile bob No cables are overheating. the boat is very reliable I have done over 1200 hours on her in the last 3 years. All I want to do is increase the bulk charge rate to what the batteries want to take and cut down the charge time. I have an on board generator but for some reason I don't understand it won't work the built in battery charger (50amp).

jzeeff

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2009, 02:20:25 AM »

What happens when you try to run the battery charger off of the generator?

Stoaty

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2009, 06:35:30 PM »

What happens when you try to run the battery charger off of the generator?

Normally when I switch the battery charger on when attached to shore power, the volt meter jumps up to 26v and the amp meter briefly reads 50Amps before dropping down to what the batteries want to take, The voltmeter will rise as the amps drop eventually entering into a equalising phase where the volts will rise to 32V and the amps to 0.25 amps .

When I connect the shore power cable to the generator the volts slowly rise to 26V and the amps stay at 3.5 amps. The generator behaves as if nothing is connected. The charger which Hums loudly when working hard barely makes a sound. Switching the engine room lights on (which draw 10 amps) under shore power has no effect on the charge rate, the charger just hums a bit louder. Where as when connected to the generator a 6.5 amp discharge is shown.

I have tried a small, plug in 8 amp portable charger and that does not work either.

Everything else works ok. The urn boils, the fan heater works and mobile phone and laptop chargers work ok.