Author Topic: The Centramatic wheel balancer????  (Read 3563 times)

lister-deaf

• View Profile
The Centramatic wheel balancer????
« on: April 23, 2006, 04:06:03 AM »
Do you think the Centramatic Wheel Balancers (SVU or light truck with five holes)  will help our lister to smooth  with homemade five hole and hole szie adapter fit our lister flywheel shaft?  Will they work??

http://www.centramatic.com/Demo/video2.mpg

visit centramatic.com

JohnF13

• View Profile
    • woodnstuff
Re: The Centramatic wheel balancer????
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2006, 02:20:59 PM »
We hashed this out a short while ago - I talked to the Centramatic folks about it, apparently it will not work because the balancers rely on the "flat spot" at the bottom of the tire as it rotates to function.  However, they did suggest another product, a damper system.  I was about to follow up on this but "other stuff" got in the way so it's on hold for a while.  The other thing was that there were some excellent suggestions under "balancing out the bounce" that suggested much cheaper ways of doing it - the dampers would cost about $200 an engine.
John F
2 x 6/1 JKSON.  1 x 10/1 JKSON, 1 x 27hp Changfa, 1 x 28hp AG295, 1 genuine 1939 SOM, a couple of others in test mode and a Hercules Multu-fuel still in the box.

lister-deaf

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2006, 11:46:30 PM »
  ??? We hashed this out a short while ago - I talked to the Centramatic folks about it, apparently it will not work because the balancers rely on the "flat spot" at the bottom of the tire as it rotates to function.  However, they did suggest another product, a damper system.  I was about to follow up on this but "other stuff" got in the way so it's on hold for a while.  The other thing was that there were some excellent suggestions under "balancing out the bounce" that suggested much cheaper ways of doing it - the dampers would cost about $200 an engine.

because the their movie showed the tire isn't on road or suface and just  air running . They put weight block ( red magent)  on rim cause hop hop then they put centramatic on rim with weight block (red Magnet) and showed smooth balancer " AIR RUNNING "without on road or surface. 
 http://www.centramatic.com/Demo/video2.mpg :'(

jtodd

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2006, 10:32:26 PM »
I'd still say this is worth a try.  It's certainly got to be a lot safer than attaching weights to the flywheel, and it is a bit more "guess-free" because it's self-balancing, and is certainly a safer solution.  The trick is that there needs to be some flex in the rotating mass (1/8" to 1/4") for the system to self-balance itself, so the engine would need to be on rubber mounting points instead of a totally rigid mount base.

Their biggest balancers are 32oz (600-660) of balance capability.  Two pounds... hmm... well, if you put two on (on one side?  one on each side?) that would be 4 pounds of balance  capability, which seems reasonable from what I've heard most people talking about thus far.  An adapter plate that matches the shaft/key to an 18-wheeler lug pattern would be needed, but that shouldn't be that tough to make.  The $199 price is for two of the discs.

Of course, the genset should probably be on the same "base plate" as the engine, so there may be issues where the center of rotating mass is not the center of the crank (because the generator is rotating, too, and perhaps out of phase with the engine's vibrations.)  I think that this is a "you have to try it" kind of solution, unless someone who really knows what they're talking about on harmonic dampening wants to take a crack at an explanation.  Even then, sometimes things work unexpectedly.