Puppeteer

Author Topic: Annoyed, can't tell the time, AND lucky...  (Read 11134 times)

AdeV73

Annoyed, can't tell the time, AND lucky...
« on: September 13, 2009, 01:15:07 AM »
...or, "Why you should never use a mill when you're not 100% firing on all 8 cylinders".

Earlier today, after using an edge finder, I popped my 1/4" cutter in the collet, then went & grabbed a cup of coffee. You can probably guess what's going to happen next.... yup, on returning to the mill I reached up & hit the on switch; and the spanner (aka: wrench) that I'd left on the draw bar smacked into my wrist... In my surprise, it was a good five seconds before I had the presence of mind to kill the power & hit the spindle brake. Luckily, neither collet nor cutter fell out of the quill.

Even luckier still, I don't have a broken wrist... my wristwatch took the spanner clean in the face, knocking the glass out and killing the mechanism stone dead. Which is why I'm annoyed.... 'cos now I don't have a watch, and I'm stupidly fussy about watches. It took many months to track down the green-faced Orient I just broke, and the place I bought it from (an eBay shop in Maryland) - while showing 2 green-faced Orients in stock which MIGHT be the style I want, only has pictures of the back of the watch(!).

Grumble grumble...

wrightkiller

• View Profile
Re: Annoyed, can't tell the time, AND lucky...
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2009, 01:35:20 AM »
 :o :o :o :-[  we have all been their  at one time or another. :-X    http://www.longislandwatch.com/Orient/Orient_Watches-5.htm
« Last Edit: September 13, 2009, 01:39:27 AM by wrightkiller »

M61hops

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2009, 02:41:17 AM »
I've always been grateful that my body heals itself, otherwise by now I'd be missing a lot of pieces!  As it is I'm in pretty bad shape even though  :P !               Leland
I pray everyday giving thanks that I have one of the "fun" mental disorders!

Grael

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2009, 03:40:45 AM »
Live and learn, life moves on. Bet you won't do it again.  ;) Just like me and putting my car back together today, forgot to put the IP locking pin in place when reinstalling the timing belt. Won't do that again. Had to replace valve stem seals... :P
GTC 8-1

"Traveling 33 RPM in an iPod world"

compig

• 1953 Lister CS 6/1 SOM owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2009, 10:46:55 AM »
Oh the joy of human error !!  I'll tell you one machine operating mistake you REALLY do need to avoid , forgetting to remove the chuck key from a lathe before turning it on !!!  I've only done that once and that was in metal work class at school !!
Watch death is harrowing though , I like my watches and that would traumatise me !!
DON'T STEAL , THE GOVERNMENT DOESN'T LIKE COMPETITION !!!
Lister A
Onan W3S Genny
Petter A1
Villiers C45 industrial
Continental flat six powerpacket
ANOTHER Lister 6/1 CS SOM , temporarily !!!

AdeV73

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2009, 01:49:44 PM »

Watch death is harrowing though , I like my watches and that would traumatise me !!

What annoys me is I keep buying automatic watches, because I like the fact they need no batteries, etc.; but end up having to buy a new one roughly every year because either they fall to bits (Citizen brand) or I smash them up (Orient). I bought a Sekonda (auto again) from some bloke at the Malpas Yesteryear rally this morning, so it'll be interesting to see how long this one lasts...

oliver90owner

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2009, 02:55:06 PM »
Probably be signing it's death warrant by posting this. 

Bought my present watch in '88.  Still going as good as when new, well over over 21 years.  Has gone completely through one bracelet and a few batteries. 

Seiko analogue/digital and waterproof.  Was expensive but is gradually nearing the cost of a large number of 'throw-aways'. If it does me another twenty, or so, years I will not be complaining.

Make a separate clearly defined space for the chuck spanner and use it faithfully, every time, without fail!  One glance, or even without, should ring the alarm bells loud and clear, if it is not in it's proper resting place.  Been close, before now!  I would now notice if mine were not there, even if I were not actually going to use the lathe.

Regards, RAB

compig

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2009, 04:51:37 PM »

What annoys me is I keep buying automatic watches, because I like the fact they need no batteries, etc.; but end up having to buy a new one roughly every year because either they fall to bits (Citizen brand) or I smash them up (Orient). I bought a Sekonda (auto again) from some bloke at the Malpas Yesteryear rally this morning, so it'll be interesting to see how long this one lasts...

Are you talking electric auto , like Seiko kinetic , or spring drive mechanical auto ?  My preference is mechanical but I do have some battery powered watches. Got around the problem of battery replacement cost by equipping myself with a watchmakers kit for removing all types of case backs including screw type. , so I just replace them myself now !  If you want a tough watch get a Casio G Shock. I have one for when I don't want to worry about wearing a watch like when doing pit work at a race track !  Batteries last 5 years and I defy you to kill  a G Shock !!
Lister A
Onan W3S Genny
Petter A1
Villiers C45 industrial

compig

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2009, 05:04:36 PM »

Make a separate clearly defined space for the chuck spanner and use it faithfully, every time, without fail! One glance, or even without, should ring the alarm bells loud and clear, if it is not in it's proper resting place. Been close, before now! I would now notice if mine were not there, even if I were not actually going to use the lathe.

Regards, RAB

Lathes should have a safety switch so that it can only be turned on when the chuck key is placed into it. No chuck key , no go !
Lister A
Onan W3S Genny
Petter A1
Villiers C45 industrial

trigzy

• View Profile
    • High Tech Hicks
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2009, 01:17:38 AM »
Glad no one was hurt.

However, it should serve as a good reminder, regardless of personal or business use, properly locking out and tagging out equipment is always a good idea.  Not that someone in a one man shop will come and turn on something you are working on, but the fact that you have to get your key out, unlock the breaker and turn it on, reminds you to double check everything.

Steve
Power Anand 24/2, Brushless 20kW, some other antique iron.
Vendor of AVR's, Small Clones of Yanmar Diesel and Honda Gasoline Engines

AdeV73

« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2009, 08:35:00 AM »

Are you talking electric auto , like Seiko kinetic , or spring drive mechanical auto ?  My preference is mechanical but I do have some battery powered watches. Got around the problem of battery replacement cost by equipping myself with a watchmakers kit for removing all types of case backs including screw type. , so I just replace them myself now !  If you want a tough watch get a Casio G Shock. I have one for when I don't want to worry about wearing a watch like when doing pit work at a race track !  Batteries last 5 years and I defy you to kill  a G Shock !!

The last 5 watches I've had, have all been mechanical automatics. 3 Citizens, an Orient and now Sekonda (which has a clear plastic back so you can see the gubbins inside).  2 of the citizens just gummed up, the third had bits that kept falling off the face (hour markers usually, but the date bezel fell out once). The Orient was OK except I dropped it after I'd had it about a week, which buggered up the date wheel (it got stuck on the 9th every month), then the aforementioned spanner incident which nailed it for good.

I did consider a Citizen "eco-drive" at one point, but I like the ticking a classic auto makes, and most electric automatic watches frankly look like they've been covered in superglue then thrown at the bling shelf...

compig

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2009, 10:04:33 AM »
In that case look for older stuff on ebay , like Omega's etc. Sieko , Sekonda etc also made mechanical watches back in the day which appear on ebay regularly. Interestingly , Swatch make mechanical's !
Lister A
Onan W3S Genny
Petter A1
Villiers C45 industrial

rcavictim

• Certified Generator Head and Grand Master Sparky
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2009, 07:53:59 PM »
I honestly cannot remember the last time I wore a watch.  It HAS to have been at least 30-35 years ago now. Where timekeeping is actually important I have very specialized and accurate time bases.  I do not wear jewelry of any kind either.  No necklace or rings to get caught up in spinning machine tools or become an electric heating element if caught in a storage battery bank misshap, possibly burning off a finger someday.  Speaking of no jewelry, I ENJOY every minute of not having a nose ring either.  ;D
-DIY 1.5L NA VW diesel genset - 9 kW 3-phase. Co-gen, dual  fuel
- 1966, Petter PJ-1, 5 kW air cooled diesel standby lighting plant
-DIY JD175A, minimum fuel research genset.
-Changfa 1115
-6 HP Launtop air cooled diesel
-Want Lister 6/1
-Large DIY VAWT nearing completion

compig

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2009, 11:31:22 PM »
What would these timebases be then ?
Lister A
Onan W3S Genny
Petter A1
Villiers C45 industrial

rcavictim

• Certified Generator Head and Grand Master Sparky
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2009, 04:28:19 AM »
What would these timebases be then ?

In a lifetime of observation and impatience for the stupidity of society I have come to the conclusion that the human preoccupation with the time is entirely artificial and is designed to suit control of others over our lives, not rather for our own best interests. Most of the time the calendar on the wall is the timebase that provides sufficient temporal resolution for my lifestyle.  Even at this relaxed level of time resolution you might be surprised how many times I am now late for something.  I tend to miss out on week long sales at the grocery store because I cannot make it in time.  That sort of thing.
-DIY 1.5L NA VW diesel genset - 9 kW 3-phase. Co-gen, dual  fuel
- 1966, Petter PJ-1, 5 kW air cooled diesel standby lighting plant
-DIY JD175A, minimum fuel research genset.
-Changfa 1115
-6 HP Launtop air cooled diesel
-Want Lister 6/1
-Large DIY VAWT nearing completion