Author Topic: Nickel Iron (Edison) Batteries Good? Bad?  (Read 15731 times)

Stan

Re: Nickel Iron (Edison) Batteries Good? Bad?
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2009, 03:22:58 AM »
I don't know too what you guys are referring, and I don't think I even want to know.  I'm just an innocent farm boy back from the big city with my virtual virginity intact.  ;D

Anyway, there are free cells that will deliver the goods out there, just for the asking.  8)
Stan

Doug

• Why don't pictures ever work for me?
    • View Profile
    • Doug's Petteroid Stuff
« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2009, 09:33:15 PM »
Thought for the day:

If I were left alone in the shack of emergency ham I would probably eat.
What ever you had in mind Stan sounds more like the shack or lonely Sheep.
In any event leave me alone for any length of time in one or the other and I'm not coming out hungry......
It's a Good Life, If You Don't Weaken

listeroidsusa1

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2009, 04:18:34 AM »
I've been reading through a couple of books that have some great information. They are the American Electrician Handbook 1915 (got mine at a swap meet for $2) and the one I've been studying most is Storage Battery Engineering on Google books.

The American Electrician has an excellent section on the Edison NIFE batteries.

I was interested in the old glass jar type batteries that would have been standard equipment for my 32 volt Delco Light generator. It looks like the glass type battery elements would be fairly easy to build from scratch using lead pipe and red lead (lead tetroxide). Storage Battery Engineering has excellent discussions of the various plate designs as well as the Plante plates and the pasted plates. According to the book building a decent battery is not exactly rocket science. Give it a look, I thing you'll like it.

Mike

SteveU.

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2009, 01:37:34 PM »
Thank You Mr Mike.
Are you still vacumn distilling Waste Motor oil?
Regards
SteveU.
Use it up. Wear it out. Make Do, or Do Without.
 Electrodyne 12vdc. AC MeccAlte 8.5kw
John Deere 950 w/Yammar 3cyl IDI; Peterson 21" sawmill w/20hp Kohler v-twin; four Stilh chainsaws,  Stilh weedeaters; various Kohler, Onan, Honda, Briggs, Tecumseh singles.

Stan

« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2009, 01:53:07 AM »
Focus guys, focus.....Ham shack, Amateur radio eh?  Don't worry, Allah will forgive you.  ;D
Stan

mkdutchman

• mkdutchman at gmail dot com
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2009, 12:38:26 PM »
I've been reading through a couple of books that have some great information. They are the American Electrician Handbook 1915 (got mine at a swap meet for $2) and the one I've been studying most is Storage Battery Engineering on Google books.

The American Electrician has an excellent section on the Edison NIFE batteries.

I was interested in the old glass jar type batteries that would have been standard equipment for my 32 volt Delco Light generator. It looks like the glass type battery elements would be fairly easy to build from scratch using lead pipe and red lead (lead tetroxide). Storage Battery Engineering has excellent discussions of the various plate designs as well as the Plante plates and the pasted plates. According to the book building a decent battery is not exactly rocket science. Give it a look, I thing you'll like it.

Mike

Thanks for the heads up on that book, I downloaded a copy, looks interesting