Puppeteer

Author Topic: Never txt and drive...........  (Read 3824 times)

Oiler

• View Profile
« Last Edit: September 08, 2009, 06:02:13 AM by Oiler »
1962 CS 6/1 for cutting firewood.
Armstrong Siddley AS1 for sale.

1937 Lister D

1918 Lister L

compig

• 1953 Lister CS 6/1 SOM owner
    • View Profile
Re: Never txt and drive...........
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2009, 09:44:37 PM »
Young friend of mine has a problem with text driving , I've nagged him mercilessly about it but he still does it !!  I pray he doesn't pay the ultimate price for his stupidity. Problem is that I'm often in the car when he's doing it !
DON'T STEAL , THE GOVERNMENT DOESN'T LIKE COMPETITION !!!
Lister A
Onan W3S Genny
Petter A1
Villiers C45 industrial
Continental flat six powerpacket
ANOTHER Lister 6/1 CS SOM , temporarily !!!

oliver90owner

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2009, 10:46:38 PM »
Problem is that I'm often in the car when he's doing it !

You, too, are risking the ultimate price for his stupidity.  Get out while you can, is my advice.

Is he aware that he can be monitored for phone texts and these can be tied in with camera recordings of his car registration number and/or the phone network cells from where his text is transmitted.  This is now done routinely after serious accidents.

He is an accident waiting to happen - except that an accident is defined as an unforseen event and that description does not fit in this case.

Regards, RAB

contaucreek

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2009, 11:39:22 PM »
It's a lot easier to text and drive if you steer with your knee. Also on the list is looking at your digi cams screen and using the image to steer the car...having a heart attack yet  :D
L.E.F. Dip #1 Threadstopper Extraordinaire

Irish Artist

• View Profile
    • murphyillustrates.com
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2009, 02:27:33 AM »
I had the pleasure of Living in Southern California for about 13 years back in the late eighties and nineties. During my many hours of commuting I saw people doing the stupidest things. More than one woman putting on makeup while driving, one was actually putting on eyeliner! A bump or sudden brake and the thing would of been in her eye! Not to pick on the ladies, but I actually saw one driving down the road with a portable TV on the dash and she was watching a soap opera!

Allot of my "younger" relations are just absorbed with texting on their phones, it's as though they can't go two minutes without getting some sort of contact fix with the outside world. Most of it is just idiotic banter, nothing of serious consequence, but they just can delay a response because it not "buck" (cool) to do so.

I sure do hope that video has an effect on the teens of the UK. Sorry to say though, I don't think it would do much good here in the states. Shock and Awe has been overworked here and any concern for self-responsibility seems to be lost on the young at this point.
PS 6/1 • PowerMac G5 Quad • An Electric Pencil Sharpener • 10 foot Trebuchet • Woodford Reserve & A Fine Cigar, life is good!  8)

compig

• 1953 Lister CS 6/1 SOM owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2009, 09:58:45 AM »
Problem is that I'm often in the car when he's doing it !

You, too, are risking the ultimate price for his stupidity. Get out while you can, is my advice.

Is he aware that he can be monitored for phone texts and these can be tied in with camera recordings of his car registration number and/or the phone network cells from where his text is transmitted. This is now done routinely after serious accidents.

He is an accident waiting to happen - except that an accident is defined as an unforseen event and that description does not fit in this case.

Regards, RAB

He does seriously worry me. He is a professional racing driver , also , girlfriend  does it when she's driving him and vice versa. The worst of all though is he does it when driving the teams 15 ton race transporter !! That genuinely fills me with horror. In fact writing this has made me determined to try and stop him. Apart from the risk of killing or maiming or inocent people he could , at the very least end up in prison and losing everything.
I wonder if it's possible for the txt function to be disabled when the phone is used in a car ?  Hmmm , but then passengers couldn't use it also , then there are trains , buses etc , etc.  Certainly it's a scourge as bad as drunk or drugged driving.
DON'T STEAL , THE GOVERNMENT DOESN'T LIKE COMPETITION !!!
Lister A
Onan W3S Genny
Petter A1
Villiers C45 industrial
Continental flat six powerpacket
ANOTHER Lister 6/1 CS SOM , temporarily !!!

contaucreek

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2009, 11:40:27 AM »
I dont see why the gps location feature on a phone couldn't be interfaced with an embedded program to disable the phones function while sensing it is travelling ?  ::)
L.E.F. Dip #1 Threadstopper Extraordinaire