Puppeteer

Author Topic: Re-building crankshafts----  (Read 4216 times)

hotater

• View Profile
Re-building crankshafts----
« on: April 22, 2006, 05:11:09 PM »
  I've seen noted several places that the original CS engines had a straight, not stepped, crankshaft so once the mains were scored the crank couldn't be reground and another bushing machined to repair them.

I've not seen any reference to this being a problem, but if it is modern welding technology (metalizing sprays), can repair them easily and economically.  The same goes with the big-end rod journals.

This might be something to explore in England.  Are there engines or just cases and cranks with wallowed mains to be had cheap over there?  Surely they didn't scrap them out..... :(
7200 hrs on 6-1/5Kw, FuKing Listeroid,
Currently running PS-Kit 6-1/5Kw...and some MPs and Chanfas and diesel snowplows and trucks and stuff.

GuyFawkes

• View Profile
    • stuff
Re: Re-building crankshafts----
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2006, 06:44:17 PM »
most of the "dead" one I know of had physically broken cranks (as in the picture I posted yesterday) which was usually due to vibration, the general theory behind the design being that the crank lasted a literal lifetime.

you are right though that a merely worn or exposed to the elements crank is not beyond repair, technically at least.

in reality I can remember a scrapyard in cornwall simply smashing what was clearly well over a dozen CS singles and twins that had nothing more wrong with them than being shut down one day and left standing idle for years, because it compacted the scrap.

we did the same thing (breaker bars and gas axe) to literally tens of thousands of tons of perfectly good steam locomotives 40 years ago when the rails were electrified and diesel powered.

the best source now for listers and the like is farm auctions, but you have to be in the uk and able to travel with chequebook and trailer and be in the know to hear about them (for instance there's pughs, but little point me giving links to that sort of stuff here) so you have twenty lots that go for good money and 200 lots that go for basically scrap.... I could buy running or damn near running farm tractors like fergie T20's for 200 pounds a pop and fill a hangar with them, but they are worth more as scrap and that's what is happening to vast amounts of stuff every day.
--
Original Lister CS 6/1 Start-o-matic 2.5 Kw (radiator conversion)
3Kw 130 VDC Dynamo to be added. (compressor + hyd pump)
Original Lister D, megasquirt multifuel project, compressor and truck alternator.
Current status - project / standby, Fuel, good old pump diesel.

GuyFawkes

• View Profile
    • stuff
--
Original Lister CS 6/1 Start-o-matic 2.5 Kw (radiator conversion)
3Kw 130 VDC Dynamo to be added. (compressor + hyd pump)
Original Lister D, megasquirt multifuel project, compressor and truck alternator.
Current status - project / standby, Fuel, good old pump diesel.

t19

• Tanks and Lister... Heavy Metal
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2006, 07:17:32 PM »
Repairable?  Would be fun to restore, too bad its so far away and no way to collect and ship it
There is plenty of room for all of Gods creatures... right next to the mashed potatoes...

listeroidsusa

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2006, 06:42:12 PM »
NEW listeroid cranks are available for around $50 or so, even for the good ones. If I remember correctly the good ones are EN-16 grade, I suspect that this is a British grading system since it is not one we use here in the US. I've personally never seen, or even heard of a Listeroid crank breaking. Some of the Listeroid cranks are a direct replacement for the R.A. Listers. I know I've sold a lot of parts to people restoring them. On the last shipment of R.A. engines I got the primary damage was freeze damage. The parts I had on hand fitted well and the engines ran fine with them. The CS parts I stock are Lister-Petter brand, made in India.

Doug

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2006, 06:55:50 PM »
Like Mike says on the Listeroids buy a new one or order spares with your engine....
I just purchased my first engine with enough spares to last a life time, all the rotating parts bearings, head cylinder liner injection system for 20% more than the engine alone. When it come right down to it a crank and a couple of sets pf bearing might onlycost you an extra 40 bucks, you can't have get a crank ground at that price in this country.

Doug