Author Topic: My Cat/perkins diesel generator build  (Read 26608 times)

panaceabeachbum

• View Profile
    • Thompson Machine
My Cat/perkins diesel generator build
« on: August 25, 2009, 05:31:26 PM »
Here are a few pics of my generator build using one of the cat/perkins/shibura diesel engines a few of us purchased from surplus center  . 

I am building a couple of these at the same time and will be working hot and heavy over the next few weeks to get the project done. I have cranked one of the engines up and it runs like a top . I am unsure if I will be bolting the sheave (pulley) directly to the flywheel or if I am going to build a simple pto (bearing supported stub shaft mounted in a bell housing) .

I am leaning towards the pto to eliminate the over hung side load on the crank bearings .

More pics to follow over the next few weeks as these come together.

The generator is a brushless 8kw stamford/cummins type purchased from Tom at Georgia Generator in Millidgeville Georgia. Super nice guy and always easy to communicate with. 
« Last Edit: August 25, 2009, 06:34:05 PM by panaceabeachbum »

panaceabeachbum

• View Profile
    • Thompson Machine
Re: My Cat/perkins diesel generator build
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2009, 05:32:46 PM »
These pics will give an idea of the PTO I plan on building for these engines.  In the first pic you can see the rubber insulator that has 6 holes in a radial pattern. There are 3 drive pins sticking out of the flywheel that go thru 3 of the holes in the elastic ring.  In the following pics you can see the three drive pins in the drive plate which is attached to the out put shaft of the PTO.   The elastic rubber disk isolates the load  and vibration of the PTO out put shaft from the crankshaft.

My plan is to machine a flat disk  , the drive plate, 3/4" thick and aprox 6" in diameter to mate with the flywheel. The disk will have 6qty  1" diameter thru holes.  The holes will be lined with 1" diameter polyurethane bushings with a bore of 5/8"". 

The driven plate which will be attached to the PTO out put shaft will be the same diameter and have the same radial patter as the drive plate but will have  5/8" drive pins that will fit in the poly urethane bushings.   The driven plate will be keyed and attached to the output shaft which will run thru a pair of large sealed ball bearings .   I am not a big fan of lovejoy couplings as they are long and would add to the overall length of the setup. I know they work well, just not my favorite.

The pics below will give an idea of the layout I am going to build, the PTO in the pics is from a 2 cyl 2 stroke 45 hp engine .

« Last Edit: August 25, 2009, 08:24:36 PM by panaceabeachbum »

panaceabeachbum

• View Profile
    • Thompson Machine
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2009, 05:34:25 PM »
here is the original Cat thread in the marketplace section which has some interesting information

http://listerengine.com/smf/index.php?topic=4808.0

panaceabeachbum

• View Profile
    • Thompson Machine
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2009, 05:35:26 PM »
Here are links to the specs on the engine

http://www.cat.com/cda/components/securedFile/displaySecuredFileServletJSP?fileId=184036&languageId=7

http://www.perkins.com/cda/files/334130/7/402D-05%20Engine%20PN1812%20May09.pdf?m=97265&x=7

Here is a link to the customer the paticular engines I have were originaly sold to, they were using them in APU for semi tractors

http://www.pdmindustries.net/
« Last Edit: August 25, 2009, 05:37:38 PM by panaceabeachbum »

jzeeff

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2009, 03:59:54 AM »
Very nice looking.  Any idea of BSFC or noise level?

panaceabeachbum

• View Profile
    • Thompson Machine
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2009, 04:36:23 AM »
 cat list it at 2.75 litres per hour

Not sure how loud it will be under load. I did crank it with no load and open manifold and it was not that loud. My Gen shed is 8'x14' so I have no problem with a huge goldberg muffler system if neccesary to make it neighbor friendly .  I have a 15hp 2 stage air compressor thats unbelievebly loud facing the neighbor now with no complaints

panaceabeachbum

• View Profile
    • Thompson Machine

panaceabeachbum

• View Profile
    • Thompson Machine
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2009, 08:41:56 PM »
Alternator hook up info

The heavy term on the side of the  alt goes to the batt , the one labled IG goes to ignition and should rec 12v+ when you want to make power , L goes to an idot light on the dash and S is attached to the 12v on the batt thru a fuse . I believe it will make 12v with just the big lug attached to the batt and the terminal labeled IG energized

panaceabeachbum

• View Profile
    • Thompson Machine
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2009, 08:52:55 PM »
The plugs on the solenoid, oil sender and water temp sender are deutsch dt04-2p   connectors , the mating halfs part number is  DT06-2S

here is a link to a source with these in stock http://www.pcsconnectors.com/DT06-2S.aspx

you will also need the socket pins and the wedge lock pictured at the bottom of the page
« Last Edit: August 29, 2009, 08:55:06 PM by panaceabeachbum »

panaceabeachbum

• View Profile
    • Thompson Machine
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2009, 04:18:54 PM »
Had to pull the flywheel to chase an oil leak. Thoght I would snap a few pics while it was apart.

compig

• 1953 Lister CS 6/1 SOM owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2009, 05:53:25 PM »
Oil leak , oil leak ??!! On a new engine !!
DON'T STEAL , THE GOVERNMENT DOESN'T LIKE COMPETITION !!!
Lister A
Onan W3S Genny
Petter A1
Villiers C45 industrial
Continental flat six powerpacket
ANOTHER Lister 6/1 CS SOM , temporarily !!!

M61hops

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2009, 06:58:05 PM »
Please tell us what was causing the oil leak and what it took to fix it  ??? !  Photos are always good if you can include them!                                  Thanks..........................Leland
I pray everyday giving thanks that I have one of the "fun" mental disorders!

panaceabeachbum

• View Profile
    • Thompson Machine
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2009, 07:22:05 PM »
oil leak wasnt anything major , there was just a flake of paint aprox .1" wide by 1" long that had found its way between the crank shaft and the oil seal and was letting a bit of oil run out onto the counter.
There is a fair bit of overspray on the polished end of the crank, right up to the edge of the seal, the overspray makes for a very rough textured area that might tend to grab  stuff like the loose flek of paint.  I was rather suprised at how easy it was to pull the flywheel , the 4 bolts were easily loosened with a std 14mm box end wrench and were only hand tight , no need for a breaker bar .  I would like to find the proper torque for these bolts to insure they are tight enough.

If you look at the pic you will see a fith hole in the end of the crank for an index pin , I am usre its used to index the crank in the crank turning and grinding machine when the crank was being made , You would figure there would be an index pin in the flywheel but not so

Wizard

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2009, 03:34:23 AM »
Wow.   Typical of CAT slop with paint.  When my brother was pipefitter, he  had to repair the mess CAT engine manufacturers created by pulling seals and clean off paint and new seals. :o

Cheers, Wizard

MeanListerGreen

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2009, 07:09:24 PM »
Oil leak , oil leak ??!! On a new engine !!

That's hilarious.....LMFAO!!!!  You do realize you are on a "Listeroid" forum. 
MLG Gib Key Pullers