Author Topic: The little CAT diesel  (Read 59817 times)

ZackaryMac

• Nova Scotia, Canada
    • View Profile
Re: The little CAT diesel
« Reply #75 on: August 29, 2009, 03:35:07 AM »
Funny how all those still decent gas engines all of a sudden are JUSSSSTTT too weak to do the job any more, when a nice little engine like this comes along.

Wife: Honey, I thing the string trimmer needs new string.
US guys: I think the engine won't turn the new spool of string if I refill it honey! But I can boost the trimmer with a nice little diesel that will help you do ALL the trimming that you like to do so that the property looks better than anyone's around for a hundred miles, babycakes! Let's go out for dinner tonight!

ANY excuse to justify buying something like this that is too good to pass up!  :D
Kubota EL300A-R 4hp 12v Generator
Kubota B6100 HST Compact Tractor
Onan RDJA 8hp
1994 Chev S10 w/Isuzu C223
All are diesel.

DRDEATH

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: August 29, 2009, 07:18:55 AM »
OK I waited for all of the dust to settle because I have a question about lovjoy couplers. On my generator trailer I used one of these to go from the generator to the 540 attachtment which came with the generator. I think I have it pretty good "BUT" it is not exactly straight across. How close to straight does this have to be. I welded a bracket to secure the 540/1800 gear box   to the trailer so there is no actual weight on the coupler I think. It seems to turn freely. Any help would be nice before I shell out something. Thanks
Breast cancer kills. It takes money to save lives.

Randybee1

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: August 29, 2009, 09:47:40 AM »
I think it was on the Lovejoy website, but somewhere there is a spec sheet that tells you the max deviation allowed for each connector.

DRDEATH

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: August 29, 2009, 09:50:16 AM »
Thanks Randy. Mike
Breast cancer kills. It takes money to save lives.

Tijean

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: August 29, 2009, 12:10:29 PM »
I would say that it is more important to have axial alignment (up down and side to side) bang on and not quite so critical about a bit of angle change between the two shafts. In either case the cushion element will last much much longer and run quieter if there is no sliding movement necessary.

There can be the difference in a few months to lasting for years without replacement. Do everything reasonable to eliminate the misalignment. They are not cross and yoke U Joints that thrive on - even demand,,,,,,,,,,  offset and angularity.
Frank

10/1 Jkson, ST5 gen. head

bantor

• View Profile
« Reply #80 on: August 29, 2009, 03:32:56 PM »
My little CAT arrived yesterday.  What a nice little package.  Of course this leads me to a few more questions for the experts.

Has anyone found a soruce for the little two pin conector that are used for the glow plugs, oil p SW & temp Sw?

Also does anyone know the pinout for the three pins on the alternator?

Thanks for all your help guys!

Chris
John Deere 2210 compact tractor
Yanmar 1GM10 4.5KW Generartor
Cat c0.5 generator... in progress :)

panaceabeachbum

• View Profile
    • Thompson Machine
« Reply #81 on: August 29, 2009, 08:33:27 PM »
The plugs on the solenoid, oil sender and water temp sender are deutsch dt04-2p  connectors , the mating halfs part number is  DT06-2S

here is a link to a source with these in stock http://www.pcsconnectors.com/DT06-2S.aspx

you will also need the socket pins and the wedge lock pictured at the bottom of the page

Alternator
The heavy term on the side of the  alt goes to the batt , the one labled IG goes to ignition and should rec 12v+ when you want to make power , L goes to an idot light on the dash and S is attached to the 12v on the batt thru a fuse . I believe it will make 12v with just the big lug attached to the batt and the terminal labeled IG energized

« Last Edit: August 29, 2009, 08:56:11 PM by panaceabeachbum »

mobile_bob

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: August 29, 2009, 11:19:03 PM »
i would concur with the recommendation of going to the lovejoy site for recommendation
on alignment issues, and follow them as close as is possible

the results will only be better if you do.

bob g
otherpower.com, microcogen.info, practicalmachinist.com
(useful forums), utterpower.com for all sorts of diy info

panaceabeachbum

• View Profile
    • Thompson Machine
« Reply #83 on: September 01, 2009, 04:51:49 AM »
so anybody else cranked theirs yet?

I ordered the connectors from the company in the link i posted on page 6, got a shiiping notice an tracking numbr this morning, total came to $3 per plug with shipping and looks like they will be here wednesday

bantor

• View Profile
First Crank
« Reply #84 on: September 08, 2009, 03:50:05 PM »
Guys thanks for all of the help in putting together my setup. 

I just wanted to share my first crank experience.  I am newbie with regard to diesels to bear with me.

I filled the crankcase with shell synthetic Rotella.  Checked make sure it was not overfilled :)

Attempted to crank, and engine would not get past the compression stroke.  I my past experience this was generally a connection problem or low batter output, so I checked the connections and swapped batteries.  Still no go.

I slowly rotated the flywheel by hand and it sound wet in the intake.  I guessed that there was oil in one or both of the cylinders.

Sure enough when I removed the glow plugs and turned it over oil cam out.  So I cranked it with the glow plugs out and sprayed oil all over my garage in a fine mist.

Re-installed the plugs and bingo, it lit up on second compression stroke. 

I did use a big funnel to fill it.  Could I have accidently sent oil into the cylinders some how through a valve?  Or is this simply oil that they ship the units with?

The engine is VERY smooth and quiet though!

Chris

panaceabeachbum

• View Profile
    • Thompson Machine
« Reply #85 on: September 08, 2009, 06:22:19 PM »
good to  hear, mine fired right up also . I was amazed at how quite the engine is with open manifold, although I am sure it get pretty darn loud under load.   They are really smoot

Quinnf

• Rest in peace
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: September 08, 2009, 07:02:52 PM »
Um . . . I think the preferred term is, "First Smoke."

Quinn
Ashwamegh 6/1, PowerSolutions 6/1 "Kit" engine, and a Changfa R175a that looks like a Yanmar I once knew

bantor

• View Profile
« Reply #87 on: September 11, 2009, 04:08:58 PM »
My build is coming along very well.  Since the engine does not have a fuel lift pump or air filter, here is what I am going to use:

Fuel Pump
http://cgi.ebay.ca/Low-Pressure-Electric-Fuel-Pump-gas-diesel-marine-3-5lb_W0QQitemZ320422178683QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMotors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories?hash=item4a9aa66f7b&_trksid=p4634.c0.m14#ht_529wt_859

Air Filter

http://cgi.ebay.ca/K-N-AIR-FILTER-RU-0360-UNIVERSAL-BANSHEE-1-75-IN-FLANGE_W0QQitemZ250443210221QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMotorcycles_Parts_Accessories?hash=item3a4f941ded&_trksid=p4634.c0.m14#ht_1928wt_859

I was able to cut an alternator plug off a 1996 Toyota Corolla (1.8L) alternator to use for the Cats Alternator

I will let you know how the air filter fits when i get it.

Thanks

Chris

tymbo

• View Profile
radiator
« Reply #88 on: September 14, 2009, 10:13:00 PM »
I ordered one of these radiators from surplus center.  Made for 13hp engine, it has 1" hose fittings, just like the CAT ;D
I found a pressure cap/filler neck on ebay from a snowmobile parts place, also with 1" fittings. 
https://www.surpluscenter.com/item.asp?UID=2009091416031944&item=28-1685&catname=

ZackaryMac

• Nova Scotia, Canada
    • View Profile
Re: First Crank
« Reply #89 on: September 16, 2009, 02:55:28 AM »
I filled the crankcase with shell synthetic Rotella.  Checked make sure it was not overfilled :)

I did use a big funnel to fill it.  Could I have accidently sent oil into the cylinders some how through a valve?  Or is this simply oil that they ship the units with?

Chris
 At the Massey dealership I work at, the smaller tractors are really Japanese tractors, and if you pour oil into the top of the motor, which is in the valve cover, with a big funnel, it fills the valve cover cavity faster than the oil can drain down to the sump through the drain ports on the head and block, and ends up going through the crankcase breather tube to the intake manifold, where it either runs though an open intake valve, or gets drawn in as soon as the valve opens, and hydro-locks the engine with oil.

Take more time when filling the engine during the next oil change, and everything should be just fine. Using a smaller funnel will help there too.
Kubota EL300A-R 4hp 12v Generator
Kubota B6100 HST Compact Tractor
Onan RDJA 8hp
1994 Chev S10 w/Isuzu C223
All are diesel.