Puppeteer

Author Topic: Water Temperature Gauge's  (Read 26779 times)

jedon

• View Profile
Water Temperature Gauge's
« on: August 23, 2009, 03:33:41 AM »
I'm getting my Metro 6/1 set up and want a water temp gauge, something like this work okay?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Faze-2-Competition-White-Oil-Water-Temperature-Gauge_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp3286Q2ec0Q2em14QQhashZitem53dc624109QQitemZ360179712265QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

Also, I'm having trouble figuring out where to put the thermostat, my Metro came with a water pump and I'm using a car radiator from a 93 RX-7 twin turbo. The thermostat I have came from a 95 Pathfinder ( trying to use stuff I have lying around ).

Thanks!
-Jedon

xyzer

• View Profile
Re: Water Temperature Gauge's
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2009, 07:06:39 AM »
If you have 12v that will work....I use a mechanical tempeture gage that is not dependent on any type of power source. I put a "T" on the return line with the sending unit there.
Dave
Vidhata 6/1 portable
Power Solutions portable 6/1
Z482 KUBOTA

Irish Artist

• View Profile
    • murphyillustrates.com
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2009, 07:55:41 AM »
Hey there Jedon,

I drilled, tapped and set my sensor right into my 6/1's head, that's where the action is, that's where the temp reading is critical in my mind. Have to admit it was a bit stressful to drill a hole in the head, but once I had it all done and running, I'm happy with my choice. If I have to do it again, I'll do it with confidence.

Mind you, pull the head off the engine, do the deed and then be sure to blow all the drillings out.

It's the brass adapter on the left.

Murph'
PS 6/1 • PowerMac G5 Quad • An Electric Pencil Sharpener • 10 foot Trebuchet • Woodford Reserve & A Fine Cigar, life is good!  8)

compig

• 1953 Lister CS 6/1 SOM owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2009, 09:57:46 AM »
That's a bit bling for a Listeroid !!  How about going for a NOS aircraft guage ?
DON'T STEAL , THE GOVERNMENT DOESN'T LIKE COMPETITION !!!
Lister A
Onan W3S Genny
Petter A1
Villiers C45 industrial
Continental flat six powerpacket
ANOTHER Lister 6/1 CS SOM , temporarily !!!

jedon

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2009, 04:23:27 PM »
I'm pretty sure the 12v is just for the light, the gauge should be mechanical. It does come with the sensor.
Iriish Artist, wow nice! I'm not going to bother with that right now but I'll put it on the list of future upgrades.
My main goal right now is just to get the setup working so I can stop running my gas generator all the time.
I'm getting close to finishing up my off-grid house. http://picasaweb.google.com/jedon13
I will take a picture of where the thermostat should go, it is just way too small.
-Jedon

jedon

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2009, 04:32:32 PM »
This one is less bling
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Sunpro-Mech-Water-Temperature-Gauge-2-CP8080-New_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp3286Q2ec0Q2em14QQhashZitem35a313ce1dQQitemZ230369250845QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories
I looked for NOS aircraft gauges but Google just kept showingme pretty much the same gauges I had been looking at?
I was thinking a larger one would look cool but they all seem to be around 2"

Irish Artist

• View Profile
    • murphyillustrates.com
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2009, 05:58:42 PM »
Jedon,

The sunpro is about the same as the one I installed. I got mine from the local Auto parts store on sale for $10.00. Most of the sensors have the same threads, so where ever you choose to install, you can always upgrade if you want.
PS 6/1 • PowerMac G5 Quad • An Electric Pencil Sharpener • 10 foot Trebuchet • Woodford Reserve & A Fine Cigar, life is good!  8)

jedon

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2009, 07:32:42 PM »
Anybody also put in oil temp gauge?

xyzer

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2009, 05:01:41 AM »
I put a "T" on the return line with the sending unit there.

Why did you choose the return line rather than measuring the temperature on the hot end ?

Jens

Jens
I guess it depends how one looks at it..... I should have been more clear I suppose. The cold comes in the bottom, the hot returns to the raditator.

This is  mechanical guage. No power needed unless you need a light.

http://cgi.ebay.com/New!-USG-Mechanical-Temperature-Gauge-60-260F-Capillary_W0QQitemZ110361348290QQcmdZViewItem

Dave
« Last Edit: August 24, 2009, 05:08:11 AM by xyzer »
Vidhata 6/1 portable
Power Solutions portable 6/1
Z482 KUBOTA

NoSpark

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2009, 05:41:50 AM »
I like the idea of drilling and tapping the head for the sender, it isn't the only one I've seen and I think I'm going to do it to mine as well. Hey Murph, how did you know that was a safe place to drill and how much clearance around the hole on the inside was there?
Anand Powerline 6/1 ST5

Irish Artist

• View Profile
    • murphyillustrates.com
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2009, 06:46:08 AM »
Hey NoSpark,

After I had pulled the head, I poked around with screwdrivers through the various holes for the water jacket. I'd poke, measure, then lay the blade on the outside at the same angle to see where it was at. I also used a small flashlight and mirror to see what was in there. I found about three cavities that where large enough for the sending unit. But the location I ended up with was the best for exterior location. Lots of room into the head until you get to the casting for the injector mounting bolt, which if I remember was about 2+ inches from the exterior wall. Mind you, that was this head, I would not assume they are all casted the same.

Regards,
Murph'

ronmar

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2009, 12:03:41 AM »
I'm pretty sure the 12v is just for the light, the gauge should be mechanical. It does come with the sensor.
Iriish Artist, wow nice! I'm not going to bother with that right now but I'll put it on the list of future upgrades.
My main goal right now is just to get the setup working so I can stop running my gas generator all the time.
I'm getting close to finishing up my off-grid house. http://picasaweb.google.com/jedon13
I will take a picture of where the thermostat should go, it is just way too small.
-Jedon

Jedon, That is an electric gauge and will require 12V to operate.  One post on the gauge gets 12V, the other post on the gauge connects to the sender which is screwed into the engine.  In an auto application, the engine is grounded, which completes the circuit.  A mechanical gauge will have a copper capilary tube between gauge and sender...  An electric can make for a neater installation, but you will now need a 12V power system to operate it. 

Quite frankly, unless you are going to set there and watch a temp gauge, like you do while driving, or if the gauge can give you a temperature alarm contact closure, a non-contact IR thermometer makes a lot more sense for these things.  You can check the temp any time you like with a point and a click, and you can also look at any other temp associated with the genset or cooling system.  Engine outlet temp, engine inlet temp, radiator inlet temp, radiator outlet temp, exhaust temp, generator case or bearing temp and the list goes on and on and on...  Pretty handy IMO when you are working the bugs out of a home grown power system...
PS 6/1 - ST-5.

Irish Artist

• View Profile
    • murphyillustrates.com
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2009, 12:33:20 AM »
Ronmar,

Good Idea on the IR thermometer, I've seen one of those in action, amazing how quick and easy they are. one concern, it'll only read surface temp, not sure if that's a big deal but as I understand it, in a diesel, you can have a fair amount of variation in temp when comparing the internal and the external temps.

I've always liked the suggestion on the Utterpower cd, the barbeque remote meat thermometer. Just strap the sensor to the outlet line and you can carry the remote around with you while your engine is in operation, you can set the temp for it to go off and get a warning if it starts to overheat. For around $30 bucks, I'm planning on getting one for myself! Hell of allot cheaper than an auto shutdown system and you get some peace of mind.

Murph'

ronmar

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2009, 04:47:09 AM »
Yep the remote temp gauge/alarm is a good idea.  But a auto shutdown is not that complex, and can be had for about the same $30...  Two thermal snap switches for redundancy and a 120VAC solenoid to pull the trigger on a spring loaded fuel cutoff lever or compression release.  Plug the thing into a generator power outlet receptical...

The IR will give you a pretty accurate representation of the internal temp with a little prep.  You do need an emmissive surface to get a good IR radiation to read.  The green that the roids usually come painted with is pretty good if not too glossy.  I shoot a small spot of flat green or black primer to shoot with the IR. This spot also gives me a consistent point to always take my measurements from.  The cast iron itself is pretty thermally conductive.  I would say it won't be more than a degree or three off the actual temp. It is certainly repeatable.  I wonder what the margine of error is on that $15 mechanical temp gauge?
« Last Edit: August 25, 2009, 04:51:51 AM by ronmar »
PS 6/1 - ST-5.

Irish Artist

• View Profile
    • murphyillustrates.com
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2009, 06:12:59 AM »
Ronmar,

I bow to your knowledge and experience. I might have gumption, but I have allot yet to learn. One of the main reasons I so enjoy this forum!

I've read about the thermal snap switches, got some digging to do where to find some.

Murph'