Author Topic: Fuel filter on Metro CS  (Read 2908 times)

droptop

• View Profile
Fuel filter on Metro CS
« on: April 20, 2006, 04:40:45 AM »
I just unpacked my new Metex 6/1 and was generally pleased with the condition of the engine.  After looking for sand, I pulled the fuel filter to see what kind of filter element was used.  What I found was a paper filter that was covered in some kind of black gunk.  I don't know what kind of fuel they use to test run them but it must be a close cousin to tar.  Does any one know a source for the paper filter cartridge?  Long term I plan on fitting a better filter, but I want to start my new toy up soon.

Thanks

hotater

• View Profile
Re: Fuel filter on Metro CS
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2006, 02:40:28 PM »
 It might be best to by-pass the OEM filter for now with something like a boat motor tank filled with clean fuel.....or just string a pot filter in the line.

The black gunk is probably the dirt from the parts washer.  Some of these seemed to have been run on dirty Stoddard solvent.  ;)
7200 hrs on 6-1/5Kw, FuKing Listeroid,
Currently running PS-Kit 6-1/5Kw...and some MPs and Chanfas and diesel snowplows and trucks and stuff.

BruceM

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2006, 04:01:45 PM »
George at Utterpower.com has some MICO filter housings for a good price.  The are well built and don't leak. My Metro filter had a nice coiled cotton felt tube filter, but the housing leaked as badly as the rest of the fuel system so I changed to one of the Mico units, and am happy with it. 

Watch out for you brass petcock on the tank-  you might as well assume it will leak. NAPA has decent replacements with standard NPT threads. 

Don't assume that your head clearance, injector timing, etc. are properly set as shipped.  Glad your "kit" of assembled parts wasn't a sand hog. 

Best Wishes,
Bruce M
Snowflake, AZ
Metro 6/1

droptop

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2006, 03:43:42 AM »
Thanks for the advice on the filter.  I just got a new Lucas filter assembly used on Massey Ferguson tractors that looks sweet.  Now all I need to do is dig up all the fittings.  I think the only hard one to find will be the banjo fitting going to the injecter pump.

Thanks again, looking forward to the first start up!!!!

sid

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2006, 04:25:58 AM »
just take the banjo fitting off and reuse it/// sid
15 hp fairbanks morris1932/1923 meadows mill
8 hp stover 1923
8 hp lg lister
1932 c.s bell hammer mill
4 hp witte 1917
5 hp des jardin 1926
3 hp mini petters