Puppeteer

Author Topic: Computer wiz needed !!  (Read 17667 times)

AdeV73

Re: Computer wiz needed !!
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2009, 12:22:35 PM »
Thanks for that suggestion. Had a look at the updates on the day in question and they were not related to display drivers. Have now installed the latest nvidia driver update , no change except for a more comprehensive nvidia control panel !  Am tempted to install that service pack !

Can you post a photo of the screen? It might be enough to determine whether it's software or hardware... You could also try downloading a "LiveCD" (e.g. Ubuntu do one, and I think you can even get a Windows one); this allows you to boot from a CD; if the display comes up garbled in the same way, then your lappy is toast; but if it works, then you know it's something gone pear shaped in the software...

compig

• 1953 Lister CS 6/1 SOM owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2009, 12:46:56 PM »
I'll try to post a photo that shows the problem. Windows Vista has a feature that allows backup of the entire computer , must get an external HD !
DON'T STEAL , THE GOVERNMENT DOESN'T LIKE COMPETITION !!!
Lister A
Onan W3S Genny
Petter A1
Villiers C45 industrial
Continental flat six powerpacket
ANOTHER Lister 6/1 CS SOM , temporarily !!!

compig

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2009, 03:31:17 PM »
There is no way I can determine if the fault is visible in this image to others as it just seems the same as all others on my afflicted laptop !!

« Last Edit: August 19, 2009, 03:33:11 PM by compig »
Lister A
Onan W3S Genny
Petter A1
Villiers C45 industrial

Wizard

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2009, 03:39:45 PM »
Snap a picture of it on your camera.  Screenshot is good means it is not the notebook's problem with picture handling.
Problem lies with the either video chipset (mainboard) or the LCD cable or LCD itself.

Cheers, Wizard

compig

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2009, 03:49:34 PM »
That is a photo from my camera.
Lister A
Onan W3S Genny
Petter A1
Villiers C45 industrial

AdeV73

« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2009, 05:32:34 PM »
The image looks OK - a bit contrasty, as I think you mentioned elsewhere - but the text looks bad to me. Is it as bad as you sit in front of it, as it appears in that photo?

WRT external hard-drives, I recently got one of these: http://www.ebuyer.com/product/149510

Also bought 2x 750gb hard disks to go in it. It's rather good... and over gigabit ethernet, nicely swift as well.

Right, on with the diagnoses...

Have you tried altering the screen resolution settings? Set them lower than they are now, & see if it has any effect (good or bad). If nothing changes, assume your software is broken; if it gets even worse, maybe we're looking at a hardware fault - but it could still be a driver fault. I presume you've already tried refreshing the driver? Again, caveat that I only really know XP & it's probably changed... but try the following:

- Get to the display driver properties window (the one with the tabs on it).
 - Choose the Adapter tab
 - Click the "Properties" button
 - On the window that opens, click the Driver tab.

Check the driver date; if it's recent (2009), try "Roll Back Driver". If it's old (2008 or earlier), try "Update Driver". Another option is to actually uninstall it.... but that will rather rely on Windows spotting that there's no driver & installing an appropriate one...

Meanwhile, download & try a LiveCD (start here: http://www.ubuntu.com/GetUbuntu/download)
You don't need to know how to use Linux or owt, you're just looking for a munged display. If it's just as bad under Ubuntu, then it's hardware. If not, it's software...

compig

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2009, 05:42:32 PM »
The txt is bad , almost unreadable on with some background / type colours. Even black on white there is a blue double image on some characters. It's not quite as bad as that pic though. Trust me though , colour rendition is terrible , so much loss of detail it makes images useless.
Have tried messing with res , apart from size change there is no difference to the fault. Also tried the driver update etc , no change. The nvidia driver I updated to is 2009.
I have found a windows error report that refers to something related to display , but I can't print screen on it to post up. Any idea how I can get that onto the forum ?
Lister A
Onan W3S Genny
Petter A1
Villiers C45 industrial

LowGear

• Casey
  • What? My diesel had fries for lunch?
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2009, 01:37:48 AM »
VISTA:   Control Panel   Hardware and Sound   Device Manager   Display Adaptor   [Double Click]  Drivers Tab

XP would be very similar.
NPR Tipper/Dump Truck
Kubota BX 2230
Witte BD Generator
SunnyBoy 6000 + SolarWorld 245

compig

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 22, 2009, 06:14:04 PM »
Just managed to connect the laptop to the TV via an SVHS cable. Images displayed on the TV are fine , just as they should be. Do I deduce from this that the laptop screen is the problem ?
Lister A
Onan W3S Genny
Petter A1
Villiers C45 industrial

Wizard

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 22, 2009, 09:38:39 PM »
Hard to tell with a TV because it is very low resolution and poor bandwidth that muddles the quality.

Go and visit someone who have a monitor with VGA input or a LCD that have VGA or have dual input (VGA/DVI) and try again using your notebook's VGA output.

Cheers, Wizard

compig

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 22, 2009, 10:19:30 PM »
The image displayed on the TV  definitely does not have the problem that the laptop screen has , even though the res is lower.   
Lister A
Onan W3S Genny
Petter A1
Villiers C45 industrial

Wizard

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 22, 2009, 11:05:09 PM »
Maybe.  I don't intend to doubt you, but been working with TVs and monitor for long time.  The bandwidth via s-video and composite is very low due to only 1 or 2 signals (s-video).  Around 6MHz bandwidth, circuit in TVs for analog especially for composite and s-video is destructive to the high bandwith of video like computer's output of fine details get "smeared".  Component, VGA input and DVI/HDMI addresses the bandwidth issues by seperating out the to 3 or more channels and have vastly higher bandwidth (50-100MHz) for the video content either analog or digital.

We need to be totally be certain, hence the insistance on finding one with VGA input and only take a couple minutes to try.

Second, this is reasons we ask you to remove keyboard and inspect the screws (all notebook loosen their screws with time and use) and press down on the LCD connector on mainboard's (takes firm pressure)  Easily done while notebook is on to see any changes without keyboard.  Some did use loctite on screws but sometimes come loose.

And yes, I do repair notebooks often enough to know.  Some is rather bad with connections, some are really reliable.

Cheers, Wizard

LowGear

• Casey
  • What? My diesel had fries for lunch?
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 22, 2009, 11:41:12 PM »
1.)  You should be able to drive about any VGA monitor with the output from the back of your laptop.  [Fn] + [F4] is the usual switch for putting the signal on that connector.  It just don't happen.  I agree "S" video is like timing a drag race with a sun dial.

2.)  Reinstall drivers from the system disk that came with the computer before you get too depressed or excited. 

3.)  If it's the Laptop screen can I have your hard drive. ;D

Casey
« Last Edit: August 23, 2009, 02:09:26 AM by LowGear »
NPR Tipper/Dump Truck
Kubota BX 2230
Witte BD Generator
SunnyBoy 6000 + SolarWorld 245

compig

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 22, 2009, 11:43:37 PM »
I'm pretty convinced it's ok on TV but I'll try it on a monitor to be conclusive. Also convinced it isn't a loose connection as I've had experience of that before.
Lister A
Onan W3S Genny
Petter A1
Villiers C45 industrial

lendusaquid

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 24, 2009, 10:39:28 PM »
Try a live cd like AdeV sugested