Puppeteer

Author Topic: Computer wiz needed !!  (Read 17702 times)

compig

• 1953 Lister CS 6/1 SOM owner
    • View Profile
Computer wiz needed !!
« on: August 17, 2009, 01:21:00 PM »
Would appreciate the help of any computer experts on a problem I have with my laptop.
Went back to it yesterday after around an hour of watching Moto GP and the display had changed !!  It's difficult to describe but instead of normal colour and tone it's gone like a topographical map !!  The contrast has also increased. It almost looks like a special effect. There were no virus detections during my absence , I've checked all the relevant settings in control panel , there are no reported conflicts , nothing else obvious. It's a 2 year old Philips with Vista Ultimate OS. The fault exists on everything displayed , even video , even this forum , text has also lost resolution. Any idea's ?
DON'T STEAL , THE GOVERNMENT DOESN'T LIKE COMPETITION !!!
Lister A
Onan W3S Genny
Petter A1
Villiers C45 industrial
Continental flat six powerpacket
ANOTHER Lister 6/1 CS SOM , temporarily !!!

Tugger

• View Profile
Re: Computer wiz needed !!
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2009, 02:25:54 PM »
Firmly hold down the keyboard half with your forearms and twist the monitor half gently with your hands....
This worked for an old laptop i had..
Cheers
Tug

Irish Artist

• View Profile
    • murphyillustrates.com
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2009, 03:17:03 PM »
That does sound like a hardware issue, I'd suspect your video card.

never heard of twisting the monitor as Tugger suggests, if your very gentle it shouldn't hurt anything.

Nice Avatar by the way Tug.

Murph'
PS 6/1 • PowerMac G5 Quad • An Electric Pencil Sharpener • 10 foot Trebuchet • Woodford Reserve & A Fine Cigar, life is good!  8)

compig

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2009, 03:31:33 PM »
I have tried twisting the screen a little as that can sometimes reveal a faulty cable.
Am hoping it isn't the video card , it means dismantling the damn thing ! Laptops are a nightmare to strip !!
Lister A
Onan W3S Genny
Petter A1
Villiers C45 industrial

Wizard

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2009, 03:50:30 PM »
Usually the keyboard is held down by couple or three, even four screws from bottom (special marking besides each screw denoting them), once done, lift out the keyboard and you will see LCD cable plug, if power button is seperate from keyboard, turn on and press down on that LCD plug to see any changes.

Some did have little hooks around the edge of keyboard assembly, you have to gently ease edge of keyboard around each hook.  It is just a hint of each hook.

Be certain problem is either with mainboard itself (video chipset or LCD itself.  What model is this?).

Cheers, Wizard

compig

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2009, 04:56:41 PM »
would the graphics be on a seperate plug in board or a motherboard chipset ?  Can't provide the model # just now , I'm not at home.
Lister A
Onan W3S Genny
Petter A1
Villiers C45 industrial

Wizard

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2009, 05:52:56 PM »
The video chipset is on mainboard.  Most used shared memory using intel or ATi northbridge, some better models uses separate mobile video chipset with own memory.

Do troubleshooting first.

Cheers, Wizard

compig

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2009, 11:57:56 PM »
It's a Philips X57.  Graphics is Geforce Go 7400. I was tempted to download the latest driver version from Nvidia but they warn of issues using a non oem driver release.
Lister A
Onan W3S Genny
Petter A1
Villiers C45 industrial

bschwartz

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2009, 12:51:59 AM »
Have you tried plugging in an external monitor yet?
-Brett

1982 300SD, 1995 Suburban 6.5, 1994 F250, R170, Metro 6/ sold :( , Witte CD-12 ..... What else can I run on WVO?

compig

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2009, 01:02:20 AM »
Unfortunately I don't have the correct cable as the only monitor I have available uses a different connector than my laptop.
Lister A
Onan W3S Genny
Petter A1
Villiers C45 industrial

LowGear

• Casey
  • What? My diesel had fries for lunch?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2009, 03:37:06 AM »
My HP Laptop only has the 15 pin VGA plug but both matching docking stations have DVI.  Reallyy opens the old guy to the newer monitors.

Casey
NPR Tipper/Dump Truck
Kubota BX 2230
Witte BD Generator
SunnyBoy 6000 + SolarWorld 245

rf

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2009, 06:19:07 AM »
Suggestion, Go to desktop right click properties, click settings and try a different (Screen resolution) possibly lower setting, this may have been changed by accident by an application or software upgrade ?

Good luck

RF

compig

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2009, 10:55:19 AM »
Did try that , but thanks. The problem is the colour resolution has been drastically reduced so images , video etc cannot be displayed correctly. But in display settings it is still selected at 32 bit , the highest setting. I'm beginning to think this is a windows update issue as the previous day there was an automatic update. Now then , there is vista service pack 1 waiting to be installed , do I risk that ?
Lister A
Onan W3S Genny
Petter A1
Villiers C45 industrial

AdeV73

« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2009, 08:00:52 PM »
I'm beginning to think this is a windows update issue as the previous day there was an automatic update. Now then , there is vista service pack 1 waiting to be installed , do I risk that ?

If it is an update that's caused it, then you need to back that update out before you try adding the service pack...

I'm no Vista expert, but if you go to the control panel, add/remove programs (or whatever it's called now), I think you can choose to uninstall updates. There should be a date next to each one, so you can just remove the ones that were installed immediately before the problem appeared. This should prove that the problem either is or isn't due to an update: If you fix it at this point, take a system state backup (Acronis True Image Home can be had for a 15 day trial version, if you haven't got the built in Windows backup available); then apply the service pack. If it breaks again, at least you can roll back to the backup; if it doesn't break, then you should be OK.

compig

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2009, 12:07:57 PM »
Thanks for that suggestion. Had a look at the updates on the day in question and they were not related to display drivers. Have now installed the latest nvidia driver update , no change except for a more comprehensive nvidia control panel !  Am tempted to install that service pack !
Lister A
Onan W3S Genny
Petter A1
Villiers C45 industrial