Puppeteer

Author Topic: Solar industry seeing a big glut  (Read 8106 times)

apogee_man

• View Profile
Solar industry seeing a big glut
« on: August 14, 2009, 06:01:23 AM »
I've been patiently waiting for this!!!!!

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/solar-panel-glut-may-lead-to-more-price-implosion-2009-08-13

Haven't been following closely and had no idea that prices have fallen ~ 40%...

Wooohoooo!

Steve

LowGear

• Casey
  • What? My diesel had fries for lunch?
    • View Profile
Re: Solar industry seeing a big glut
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2009, 09:43:00 AM »
I check "Solar Systems" on Ebay every couple of weeks and they've gone down some but 40% - not on Ebay for 4 to 5K systems.

Where is all that Obama money that I heard was coming?  I've got my roof up and panting for modules.

Casey
NPR Tipper/Dump Truck
Kubota BX 2230
Witte BD Generator
SunnyBoy 6000 + SolarWorld 245

mobile_bob

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2009, 11:44:40 AM »
a 40% drop in battery prices would be nice as well!

bob g
otherpower.com, microcogen.info, practicalmachinist.com
(useful forums), utterpower.com for all sorts of diy info

ronmar

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2009, 03:15:07 PM »
Obama money!!!   You mean MY(and your) money don't you...
PS 6/1 - ST-5.

LowGear

• Casey
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2009, 07:22:05 PM »
No Ronmar,

Our money goes to pay the interest on this money that is mostly borrowed from the governments of Japan and China.  And I think of it as a tax return program.  But a grant would be pretty nice. 

OR

Yes Ronmar,

And I hope to spend it on me and my needs.  And a federal grant would be pretty nice.

But hey, let's keep this thread on topic. 

Any solar news going on that I've missed?  Incredible deals?  Grants?  Tax Credit programs.  The one thing that has reduced your electrical use the most?  Great web sites?

Casey

NPR Tipper/Dump Truck
Kubota BX 2230
Witte BD Generator

panaceabeachbum

• View Profile
    • Thompson Machine
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2009, 10:30:28 PM »
$4000 per kw rebate in Fl , but their out of money currently , here is the site where you can check for programs in your state

http://www.dsireusa.org/

LowGear

• Casey
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2009, 01:41:59 AM »
Thanks panaceabeachbum,

Interesting site but Hawaii isn't anything like some of the other states.  Darn that President Barry.  I voted for him primarily for his propaganda about the green revolution that is going to hit our planet sooner or later only he implied his leadership would make it sooner.  ;)

Our local solar guy says he can get us down to $2000 for a brand new solar water heater after all the rebates and tax credits he knows of.  Very tempting as we're currently paying about 32 cents a KWH.  I'm guessing that's over a buck an hour when the thermostat is on.  I wish they had a 90 day trial period to see how much your electric bill would actually go down.

LowGear
NPR Tipper/Dump Truck
Kubota BX 2230
Witte BD Generator

LowGear

• Casey
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2009, 09:15:06 AM »
Jens,

The federal tax credit is 30%.  State of Hawaii is 35% tax credit (yes we have a state income tax).  And the electrical company will kick in another $1000.  I think it’s in power rebates but with monthly bills of $500+ that would be welcome.  I can't believe someone is doing less than Hawaii.  I'll start working on being a little less critical.

Casey
NPR Tipper/Dump Truck
Kubota BX 2230
Witte BD Generator

panaceabeachbum

• View Profile
    • Thompson Machine
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2009, 04:40:36 PM »
My dad just got a qoute of $2500 before any rebates for a solar hot water heater here localy

LowGear

• Casey
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2009, 05:44:00 PM »
Hi panaceabeachbum ,

Do you know what configuration that is.  I know there are some kind of cheesie looking systems like at the country fair that sell for that sort of money. 

This system that I was quoted on is a "Solar Hart" which has been around here for decades.  I think it is out of Australia.  This 80 gallon model is pasive and sets up on the roof (usually) costs around $7,000 installed.

Jens,

If memory serves me correct your electrical rate is 6 cents a KWH.  But an important part of this decision for me has to do with reducing the demand on our energy infrastructure.

Casey
NPR Tipper/Dump Truck
Kubota BX 2230
Witte BD Generator

Doug

• Why don't pictures ever work for me?
    • View Profile
    • Doug's Petteroid Stuff
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2009, 10:00:46 PM »
With the grow threat of new neuclear reactors here in Ontario coupled, the goverments desire to shut down the two remaining coal stations and the age of the existing nukes I feel very uncomfortable about the price of hydro in the future.

I think John F has it right get off the grid if you can.....
It's a Good Life, If You Don't Weaken

panaceabeachbum

• View Profile
    • Thompson Machine
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2009, 10:02:19 PM »
we are at 12.7 per kwh on progress energy with all the crap they tack on. We got a letter a few weeks ago stating the rate may be going up by 50% in Nov , will be a big hit for me, our usage with all gas appliances is already at $800 per month between the house and the shop .

I do not know the brand on the solar system, he has thrown out so much info from comparrison shopping that its all running together. I know the fellow its coming from is very reputable and has been in the solar business way before it was "cool" to be green.
 I do remember it was a 4x10 collector with differential controller, a pump and an 80 gal tank , the $2500 qoute is for the system at actual cost if he drives over to the fellows shop localy and pics it up ( the guy being his neighbor may help also) ,his retail qoute was $5400 before instalation,  the instalation qoute was aprox $2000 .

My reason for responding was to point out that a savy shopper willing to do the instal themselves can ferret out a deal

LowGear

• Casey
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2009, 12:26:10 AM »
Aha Mr. panaceabeachbum,

You have uncovered the cleaver ploy.  For the electric companies $1000 it must be installed by a licensed solar (maybe only plumber) contractor but if it has an electric backup element (most do that have storage tank) that would require a licensed electrical contractor as well.  But then as a homeowner in the state of Hawaii I can't pull electrical nor plumbing permits.  The going rate for a licensed pickup is about $100.  I've been know to call it the black market permit market.  I think for the IRS you just need receipts.  I don't really have any idea about the state tax credit program and having to be installed by a licensed professional.  Here's a an interesting system:

http://honolulu.craigslist.org/big/for/1318278743.html

But who makes it and will his van be there in the Safeway parking lot if I have problems and need parts next year?

Casey
NPR Tipper/Dump Truck
Kubota BX 2230
Witte BD Generator

LowGear

• Casey
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2009, 12:49:54 AM »
PV powered pond pump costs - PV + Pump - will make you rethink the water feature project.  It's just amazing how little bang you get for your buck with PV.  But it does make you realize what a wonderful thing the grid is.  A 60 watt 24/7 pump uses 1.44 KWH per day.  If you have 6 hours of good solar window then you need at least 240 watts of panel and probably three deep cycle batteries to get you through the hours of darkness.  240 watts X $4 = $960 in panels.  Three batteries = $500.  Controller = $100.  So were going to be close to $1600 in parts alone.  I left the pump out because you'd pay for that whether you go PV or Grid.  Now $1600 will buy about 4800 KWH of electricity in my market.  So break even is 4800 / 1.44 = 3333 days of pumping or close to nine years for the break-even.  Oops, new batteries in year 7 will set us back even further.  Of course at todays market rate for money a nine year payback may not be that bad.  Come on PV panels, lets get those prices down down down!

Now if we grid tie then the battery cost is gone but the inverter might eat us for breakfast on a really small system like 1 KWH.  Have you seen the wall plug ` 300 watt grid tie inverters?  I wonder if I could get a deal on 20 of them? ;D

Casey
NPR Tipper/Dump Truck
Kubota BX 2230
Witte BD Generator

LowGear

• Casey
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2009, 08:46:42 AM »
I read some of the questions in one of the listings and the're limited by the breaker size.  My guess is that once your in the panel then the bus is the limit but you would surely want to keep them fairly balanced to the two legs.

I'm curious about the electrical companies opinion of them.

Casey
NPR Tipper/Dump Truck
Kubota BX 2230
Witte BD Generator