Author Topic: Difference between 3 phase STC and Stamford heads???  (Read 11923 times)

Doug

• Why don't pictures ever work for me?
    • View Profile
    • Doug's Petteroid Stuff
Re: Difference between 3 phase STC and Stamford heads???
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2009, 09:19:35 PM »
Once you ride the bus it doesn't realy matter.
If you manage to get off the bus you can debate what hurts more or made you shake harder.
The reality is the muscles in your body realy can't move at 60 hz so if you got good grip on soemthing live you are on it unless you can pull yourself free.

From personal experince I can tell there are some differences:
The AC does have a buzz and a shake to it no doubt.
The DC has that burning feeling and pain more pronounced

And if the voltage is high enough it can feel like giant 2 by 4 has wacked you in the chest and your stunned from it when you come off

BUT there is that chance you don't come off and you cook there for bit....
You feel the burning in you hands and fore arms mostly and an extreme pain and tightness in your chest. I guess that secodn part is the internal organs spamsing and baybe a bit of burn but its not a localized as in the hands and arms.

Hmm.
sort of feels like this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m6GgoT7FVR8
It's a Good Life, If You Don't Weaken

AdeV73

« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2009, 11:14:28 PM »
I've only ever experienced 240ac @ 50hz, and I got thrown off each time (luckily). I felt the last one go right through my chest, thought my heart was going to come out of my chest for a while... that was 20 years ago (when I was about 15), haven't been shocked since...

Apparently, if the only live/not live test instrument you have available is yourself, it's best to touch the object in question with the back of your hand: That way, if it is live, when the muscles contract you won't end up with a death-grip on the live item...

Doug

• Why don't pictures ever work for me?
    • View Profile
    • Doug's Petteroid Stuff
« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2009, 11:36:43 PM »
Testing if something is live with you hand is kind of like trying to French kiss tiger to see if its receptive to affection.

That much said I have touch tested stuff AND worked on live stuff but I don't sugest its somethign a novice do.
It's a Good Life, If You Don't Weaken