Author Topic: Automatic Start  (Read 13644 times)

jsw123

• View Profile
Automatic Start
« on: August 12, 2009, 03:11:03 AM »
Has anyone used a genset controller with automatic start with a slow speed lister engine? I plan to use a Dynagen SC400 genset controller and I am wondering if this has been done before or if there are any opinions about whether or not it will work with these. (When I say automatic start I mean the start button is momentarrily pressed and the starter runs for a set time or untill a set level or RPMs is reached.)
« Last Edit: August 12, 2009, 03:14:56 AM by jsw123 »

compig

• 1953 Lister CS 6/1 SOM owner
    • View Profile
Re: Automatic Start
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2009, 01:07:55 PM »
Like a Start-O-Matic you mean ?!
DON'T STEAL , THE GOVERNMENT DOESN'T LIKE COMPETITION !!!
Lister A
Onan W3S Genny
Petter A1
Villiers C45 industrial
Continental flat six powerpacket
ANOTHER Lister 6/1 CS SOM , temporarily !!!

jsw123

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2009, 09:45:24 PM »
I hope to use a woodward 1500 series genset controller. This controller has a start button which is pressed momenterrily and energizes the starter untill engine RPMs reach a certain level when the engine starts.

compig

• 1953 Lister CS 6/1 SOM owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2009, 09:50:57 PM »
No reason why it shouldn't work. Some way of communicating engine RPM to the contoller would be needed but there are several ways that could be achieved.
DON'T STEAL , THE GOVERNMENT DOESN'T LIKE COMPETITION !!!
Lister A
Onan W3S Genny
Petter A1
Villiers C45 industrial
Continental flat six powerpacket
ANOTHER Lister 6/1 CS SOM , temporarily !!!

dubbleUJay

• Lister AK,CS,D,G1,LR1
    • View Profile
    • dubbleUJay on Lister Engine Gallery
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2009, 04:47:45 AM »
Hi JSW123,
I'm busy doing just that to my CS.
I presume your engine has a starter fitted, or your gen-head has a DC motor built in.
The next thing to have is a decompression/fuel-rack solenoid. (My gen-head starter cannot turn my motor over against compression as suggested in the Start-o-Matic manual)
You can also have a temperature switch to monitor the water temp. The easiest method for this (4me anyway) is to use one of those switches that screws into some cars radiator to run the electric fan, one that "makes" at say 100degC or a little more, if u can get one, I think most switches @ 80C. ( This is to say if your controller has a digital inputs, i.e. On or Off, not analog like a cars heat-gauge.)
Most controllers monitor oil-pressure as well, but I've tried to monitor this on a CS and it seams difficult because of the low oil-pressure.
The spare inputs can either be by-passed or used for monitoring fuel level or such.

I hope this help a bit, my controller died on me so I'm busy looking for another. I'm leaning towards one with a comms port for PC remote monitoring, but they are pricey!

dubbleUJay
:) ;) :D Posted by dubbleUJay[/b]from South Africa!! >:( :( :o

Using: Lister CS 6/1 Gen-Set
Restored: Lister AK,D,G1,LR1

jsw123

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2009, 05:20:39 AM »
Have you looked at Datakom controllers? They are quite cheap and can be monitored from online Look at DKG-317. One glitch: the starter is programed to disconnect at 15 herts and this is not changeable. Maybe you should contact the manufacturer and request they change this.

jsw123

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2009, 05:26:02 AM »
Could you explain how you plan to use the temp switch to activate the decompresion?

dubbleUJay

• Lister AK,CS,D,G1,LR1
    • View Profile
    • dubbleUJay on Lister Engine Gallery
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2009, 08:27:25 AM »
Could you explain how you plan to use the temp switch to activate the decompresion?

AND

Have you looked at Datakom controllers? They are quite cheap and can be monitored from online Look at DKG-317. One glitch: the starter is programed to disconnect at 15 herts and this is not changeable.

Hi jsw123, sorry, but I think u misunderstood me, I meant that the temp switch is wired to the high temp input for monitoring and shutdown, the controller monitor the temp input and switch the engine off with the solenoid. this is if your controller does have that facility obviously, but I think most do as that is the most common thing to do. You can also get the temp switch to switch a relay to disconnect the solenoid when the over temp is reached.
I'm not sure of your knowledge of electrical systems, but this is quite straight forward and I can happily draw you a cct diagram if you wish. (Actually I think I saw one somewhere on this forum, but it could be on another)

About Datakom's products, I'll try and see if they are available here in ZA. That "glitch" is quit severe! By the time it reaches 15Hz, some electronic ccts, like TV's and my beloved PC, definitely wont like that and will probably fail if its a slow decrease of frequency, but that's debatable and a whole other subject.
One can buy a over/under frequency monitor and use that to switch the engine off, but that's defeating the object if you buy a new controller that cannot monitor properly!

I would like my controller to monitor water temp and frequency between say 47&53Hz. If these are out of bounds, it should switch off the engine via the solinoid.
An aux input to monitor fuel level would also be nice, I hate "bleeding" the CS fuel system ;-)
It should also have Auto Start, not just a momentary switch like starting a car and I decide when the engine is running. (I would like to remote start it, say from the house)

Let me know if I can be of any further assistance,
dubbleUJay
:) ;) :D Posted by dubbleUJay[/b]from South Africa!! >:( :( :o

Using: Lister CS 6/1 Gen-Set
Restored: Lister AK,D,G1,LR1

SveinHa

• View Profile
    • sveinha.com
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2012, 10:34:19 AM »
Have you looked at Datakom controllers? They are quite cheap...
Sorry for bringing back to life an old thread but do anyone know where to buy Datakom controllers?

I have sent an inquiry to Datakom asking for prices and/or dealers. I got a reply where they asked who I was. I replied with my full name and address and also my intentions (as a private person building one genset for my private use). About one month since my first contact and one week since my last reminder... Still no luck....

Link to a webshop would be nice.
Fresh owner of a HA3 for powering my summerhouse :-)

Stan

« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2012, 06:38:19 PM »
I've always gone back to an old dodge car commercial when thinking about these types of things.  It was years ago when computers first came onto the auto scene.  It boasted that the computer had "X" number of sensors that fed information to the computer and the computer made 10,000 decisions per second on how the car was running.  All I could think of was that this vehicle had 10,000 things that could go wrong every second, who on this earth would want to drive something like that.

We have, in our Lister CS engines one of the most elegant, well engineered pieces of equipment I have ever had the fortune to own and play with.  It has the fewest moving parts of any engine that I know of that was produced in these numbers and kept in service for so many years.

The ultimate goal of any mechanical engineer is to produce the most efficient machine for a specific purpose, with absolutely no moving parts, therefore nothing to break down.

I heartily agree that trying to make a silk purse out of a Lister is a fun occupation, but I am certainly not going to get carried away with changing the essence of the engine's original design. YMMV
Stan

btw...I felt the same way about the '74 VW beatle that I drove for almost 30 years without any major mechanical breakdowns. ;-)

SveinHa

• View Profile
    • sveinha.com
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2012, 09:30:33 PM »
I see your point Stan but my use of the generator means that I must be able to start it automatically on a regular basis to charge the battery bank in the summer house when I am not present. I have for some years now had a SDMO Alize 5kW generator that has 20,000 hours on the counter. Works great but is periodically too small, far more than enough power for battery charging, but too small for some tools and other stuff. So I'm working on building a new generator with a Lister HA3 of 18.5 hk/1500 rpm. Looks to be run by a Dynagen GSC300 or GSC400 if not Datacom get involved with something...

A short video of the very first start even before it was properly assembled: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3xayx5O7b1s
« Last Edit: January 29, 2012, 09:34:06 PM by SveinHa »
Fresh owner of a HA3 for powering my summerhouse :-)

t19

• Tanks and Lister... Heavy Metal
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2012, 10:07:02 PM »
Agree with you Stan

My unit sits and waits.  When the time comes, I manually start it, flick a few switches and I have light again.   I thought about electric start... but the handle works so well.

I thought about gauges and computer fuel controls ect... but a plastic transparent fuel tank lets me know at a glance Im low on fuel, the tape stuck to the side shows me from full how many of hours of run time I have based on past runs, and my black market lets me jot new information right on the fuel tank.

I am going to upgrade my radiator this summer... in my old house it was close to the door and I could open it on hot days to cool it off.  My current rad came out of a Dodge Caravan.  My next will be bigger and out of a truck.  In my present location at the back of the garage... it gets a bit hot in the summer and I need to have additional fans to cool off the small rad.

that said these engines are KISS and reliable, and do the job asked of them.  Im happy knowing she always starts

Andrew

There is plenty of room for all of Gods creatures... right next to the mashed potatoes...

Stan

« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2012, 11:27:13 PM »
Hi Andrew, long time no see!  How are you doing these days.  We're still making lots of trips out to Ottawa but they never seem to let me have any time on my own what with all the babysitting with the grandkids.  Chris and I are still travelling a lot, going to Australia and New Zealand this spring for a couple of months, just to bum around and see what we can see.  Still haven't gotten the house rennos finished, we're doing rennos on the rennos LOL. 

Penelope is fine, found a bit of a problem with the new big end bearings, started getting very fine threadlike bearing material coming off when hand cranking, going to tear her down again to see what's up with that.  Good practice all this work, I now know her insides way better than my own.
Stan

BruceM

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2012, 12:50:19 AM »
Ignore the Luddites, SvenHa.  Everyone has there own needs and there's nothing wrong with adding some basic emergency monitoring and remote/auto start to an older engine that suits your needs well.

I have remote start and emergency shut down for my Listeroid 6/1 and wouldn't want to be without it.  Why?  The engine shed was sited over a hill from the house site, for sound reasons. Some days walking doesn't work so good for me (MS, epilepsy).  If I wasn't home all the time I'd do auto start too, now I just have to flip some switches in the shop, which is right next to the house with a concrete walk and no stairs.  For now I don't mind the lube every 8hrs of run time, since that's only once every couple weeks or more. If that got hard I'd even add an auto oiler.

bluesky

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2012, 06:37:22 PM »
BruceM,

Sounds like you have licket the remote start problem. So that those of us with needs like yours don' have to reinvent the wheel, could you provide some parts and controller info?  Photographs would be great.