Puppeteer

Author Topic: Antifreeze in oil  (Read 3590 times)

guest23

Antifreeze in oil
« on: August 09, 2009, 10:44:31 PM »
I have an Ashwamegh 6/1 with about 1000 hrs on it.  I now have antifreeze getting into the oil.  I think it is probably the o rings on the cylinder.  I am getting ready to tear it down.  Is there anything else to look for while apart? Where is the best place to get parts?

Brian

oliver90owner

• View Profile
Re: Antifreeze in oil
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2009, 11:44:12 PM »
Is there anything else to look for while apart?

Big end bearings.  Antifreeze eats white metal.

Regards, RAB

mobile_bob

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2009, 12:12:05 AM »
don't take it apart until you know where it is leaking

take the crankcase cover off, drain the oil
and add a bit of pressure to the cooling system by whatever means you 
have.

then with a good light and a small mirror look around in there to determine where it is seeping in from

might be one or more of the cylinder studs leaking past the threads, could be the liner orings if it has ever
been overheated, or maybe oring mangled on installation?

or it might be a casting flaw

better to check what it is together before you take apart and destroy evidence
otherwise you might not find it and have to put it together again to find the leak

bob g
otherpower.com, microcogen.info, practicalmachinist.com
(useful forums), utterpower.com for all sorts of diy info

SHIPCHIEF

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2009, 09:03:43 PM »
Bob is absolutely correct.
My Ashwamegh was leaking from the cylinder studs. That means you don't have to tear down the engine.
Just drain the water, untorque the studs, remove them one at a time, reseal the threads and reinstall. You might have to lift off the head to double nut the studs (to get them out), but you won't have to disturb the cylinder. Consider it an oportunity to de-carbon the head.
Then retorque.
Also, was the base gasket mentioned? It's made of paper, and might be leaking. In this case, you could lift the cylinder enough to change out the gasket with an new one(s). You can split the gasket(s) at all the holes, and use sealant. You need to take compression height readings and add or subtract gaskets to get the correct value for your engine and the altitude it operates.
If you do lift the cylinder, be sure to put too many base gaskets in before checking the compression height. Then tear out the excess ones untill you are in spec. I made mine out of manilla folder stock from the secretarial supply store.
Ashwamegh 25/2 & ST12
Lister SR2 10Kw 'Long Edurance' genset on a 10 gallon sump/skid,
Onan 6.5NH in an old Jeager Compressor trailer and a few CCK's

Tijean

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2009, 02:56:49 AM »
Here is bottom view of sleeve and cyl studs. Should be no prob. seeing where the water is coming from.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2009, 12:24:01 AM by Tijean »
Frank

10/1 Jkson, ST5 gen. head

guest23

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2009, 10:56:25 PM »
Antifreeze is leaking by o rings on cylinder liner and bottom ring on cylinder is broken.  I am going to get new rings and rod bearing and gaskets and it should be as good as new.  I don't know how the o rings both are broken, maybe poor installation.  I am also going to put new rings also.  What is a  fair price to ask for the complete unit with generator? I may possibly get a larger unit probably about 8k.

Lister Rob

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2009, 09:48:57 PM »
 i had the same problem with mine. it was the head gasket so i went with a gasket to go head gasket and never had a problem after.