Puppeteer

Author Topic: Voltage regulator wonder box add on  (Read 4605 times)

buickanddeere

• View Profile
Voltage regulator wonder box add on
« on: August 08, 2009, 08:10:22 PM »
   Once upon a time I thought somebody had posted here about an aftermarket voltage regulator/exciter. It was pretty much just connect to the output windings connect the field windings and enjoy regulated 120/240V power.
  Any links to the topic, manufacture or dealer?

trigzy

• View Profile
    • High Tech Hicks
Re: Voltage regulator wonder box add on
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2009, 06:13:34 PM »
http://listerengine.com/smf/index.php?topic=2854.0

I am that dealer.  There is a link in there to the review done by Ronmar.

Steve
Power Anand 24/2, Brushless 20kW, some other antique iron.
Vendor of AVR's, Small Clones of Yanmar Diesel and Honda Gasoline Engines

buickanddeere

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2009, 12:52:34 AM »
Steve that looks pretty good ;D. I'm not concerned about the minor DC pulses to the field/slip rings :D.
   Tis the nature of the beast with a single phase input to the AVR with two zero voltage evens per cycle/120 per second. And normal for a "switching" power supply that doesn't use a transformer to achieve the desired voltage.
  The noise/spike/pulse on the excitation and it's refection on the AC output wave. Should be rendered from being a very minor concern to no concern with the addition of a beefy DC filter cap across the leads supplying the brushes.
  Almost every machine shows noise and spikes at no idle and they smooth out when loaded.
  Of course I've made the 2-1/2 hr trip to London about 6 times in the past year not knowing :( about your AVR's being located there. 

ronmar

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2009, 03:41:24 AM »
I think a little bit of a filtration cap on that field input back into the generator would remove the spike seen in the output waveform, or at least transform it from a spike to a slight distortion of the output waveshape.  I would be hesitant of putting in too much of a filter cap as it may effect the regulators reaction time and it's ability to reduce flicker.     
PS 6/1 - ST-5.