Puppeteer

Author Topic: changfa 1115 head problem  (Read 6373 times)

dakota3c06

• View Profile
changfa 1115 head problem
« on: August 04, 2009, 08:51:56 PM »
My changfa runs great but last winter I noticed water seeping around the injector.  Any ideas of the problem and possible repair?  If the head needs to be removed, how much torque on the head bolts?

Dakota3c06

mobile_bob

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: changfa 1115 head problem
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2009, 09:34:12 PM »
if i am not mistaken the 1115's are DI engines
so if you have coolant leaking up around the injector you probably have
a small pinhole in the casting.

if it is running find, i would just go find a can of K&W block seal, and follow the instructions
on the can, that stuff will fix you righ up without having to take the engine apart.

anyway that is what i would recommend, if its just a seep and not a torrent
and has been pretty much a consistent leak that hasn't gotten alot worse over time.

the stuff is very effective if you follow the directions to the letter, and the steps are really easy to do.
and they guarantee that the repair will last indefinetely.

bob g
otherpower.com, microcogen.info, practicalmachinist.com
(useful forums), utterpower.com for all sorts of diy info

oliver90owner

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2009, 10:30:33 PM »
Hope you can still get the injector out!

Regards, RAB

dakota3c06

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2009, 10:52:02 PM »
thanks, I will try the k&w.  As for the injector, I have not tried to take it out.  Is the injector threaded or is it held in by the two bolts on the side?  I hate to start tearing into something I might need, but I guess I better do it before the bad weather hits.

Dakota3c06

mobile_bob

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2009, 01:02:01 AM »
Rab is probably right, getting the injector back out of the hole after using block seal
might be a challenge, but

for the price of an injector and the head (which is likely going to need replaced if you don't use the block seal)
i would look at the injector as a consumable, and part of just keeping it running as is.

depends on what you want? or need?

another option would be to remove the injector and coat it with neversieze or grease as a release agent
so the block seal shouldn't stick to the injector when it does its job, that way you got a better chance of
injector removal down the road.

just saying "if it were me"  and i needed the genset to continue to keep my needs covered while i waited for replacement
parts to come (that is if i used the engine regularly for long hours) or, i would just block seal it and leave well enough alone
(that is if i only needed the engine during hurricane season for a week or so per year)

might as well get full value out of the head if possible, if you pull it down and find a pinhole you likely will never feel right about
putting it back together and using block sealer then, not unless you have to.

there is a time and place for everything, it all comes down to what your "wants" vs "needs" are i suppose.

and of course to fix it right, pull the injector, pull the head and have it pressure tested, or test it yourself.
then if you find a pinhole or crack, order a new head, gskts, and replace everything necessary, but

keep the old head!  and put it up on a shelf with a can of K&W, never know when that head might come in handy
for you or someone else that is in a jamb

bob g
otherpower.com, microcogen.info, practicalmachinist.com
(useful forums), utterpower.com for all sorts of diy info

oliver90owner

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2009, 07:53:46 AM »
An engineering alternative might be to bore and sleeve the injector housing. I have no idea how much metal there might, or might not, be :).  Could be a last ditch effort rather than throwing away the head?

Regards, RAB