Author Topic: Heat Exchanger  (Read 4618 times)

apogee_man

• View Profile
Heat Exchanger
« on: July 24, 2009, 06:47:23 AM »
I happened to see this on Ebay and it got me thinking...

Why not run the exhaust through the big side connections on something like this and use the end connections to generate hot water or use it to preheat just about any alternate fuel or for whatever?

I would think it would be pretty efficient heat transfer.

Yes, it would likely create back pressure, but I'm wondering how much as I bet there is significant space between the tubes...

It might also function as a decent muffler...

All stainless, so when it cokes up, just rinse it out with water....  The tubing won't dissolve or melt....

A bit spendy, but might be worth it in the long run....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200355883066&ssPageName=ADME:B:EF:US:1123

Thoughts?

Steve

« Last Edit: July 24, 2009, 06:50:23 AM by apogee_man »

mobile_bob

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Heat Exchanger
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2009, 09:04:22 AM »
install it with unions so it could be removed easily and taken in to
a truck shop for a steam clean periodically?
maybe it would do a decent job of recovery?

not sure i would run the exhaust down the insides of the tubes however, getting caked on
tar/coked oil would be a bitch to get out of clogged tubes.

i would expect the efficiency to fall of pretty quickly unless the engine is run up to fairly high loading
where the exhaust is very hot and burning as cleanly as possible.

gotta get busy and finish the writeup on my exchanger and get it released!

now that the new doc has my meds worked out and i am not in constant pain, maybe i will start feeling up
to getting it done.

bob g
otherpower.com, microcogen.info, practicalmachinist.com
(useful forums), utterpower.com for all sorts of diy info

AdeV73

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2009, 10:25:25 AM »

gotta get busy and finish the writeup on my exchanger and get it released!

Yep!  ;)

now that the new doc has my meds worked out and i am not in constant pain, maybe i will start feeling up
to getting it done.

Sorry to hear about your health issues... but maybe this heat-x will take your mind off it...  ;)

Geno

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2009, 11:41:05 AM »
Several of us use a shell and tube for an exhaust heat ex. Ours have removable end caps for easy access to the tubes. A power washer cleans them pretty easily and the only build up I've seen is soot. I could probably go 500 hrs between cleanings but mine is quite large. They make a lot of condensate which you don't want getting back to the engine. If I didn't have one I'd wait for Bobs plans.

Some pics about 3/4 down the page. http://genedevera.com/listeroid/

Thanks, Geno

billswan

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2009, 01:50:14 PM »
To all

Don't do it you will just have trouble eventually!!!!!!!!

This is what will happened to mine, yes I knew it would turn out this way because the tubes are way too small but I just could not resist trying.
This is about 100 hours of run time on a 10/1. It was real efficient for the first 50 hours but the efficiency caused the  small tubes to  plug up way faster than I was thinking they would. If you could rig up a way to flush out the gunk every day it would work, but the grief of the daily clean out would out weigh the efficiency. If the tubes would have been .5 inch id it would have been much longer between those messy clean outs............

Billswan
16/1 Metro  in the harness choking on WMO ash!!

10/1 OMEGA failed that nasty WMO ash ate it

By the way what is your cylinder index?

apogee_man

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2009, 04:24:04 PM »
Hmmm....

Well, so much for the simple solution...  I figured it was too simple and did think that removable end caps would have be better.  I just happened to see this one and noticed that it had 1.5" side openings and thought "heat recovery and muffler combo."  Oh well...

Thanks all for the feedback and the pics! Since my engines aren't done yet, it gives me an idea of what to expect...

I too am looking forward to seeing what Bob has come up with!

Feel better Bob, because if you don't, the honey-do list will just keep getting longer and longer.  You'll never get a chance to finally kick-off, because the list will undoable and you'll have to stick around, back pain or not, until it's all done...

;)

Regards,

Steve