Puppeteer

Author Topic: Electric start with a different twist!  (Read 3563 times)

Tijean

• View Profile
Electric start with a different twist!
« on: August 02, 2009, 07:32:39 PM »
Putting the pieces together to make an electric start for 10-1 as there is no way this old guy will start it in winter hand cranking. Also made up a new glow plug adapter for the changeover plug. Had to set it in a hole to get the protrusion I need with the same plug  used for my VW TDI. Waiting now for the two flange mount bearing assemblies and keyed hubs to mount ring gear and wheel.

I am going to use a trailer wheel for the friction drive and it will mount on a moveable pedestal that tilts for engagement. The ring gear goes on the other end to get proper rotation. Starter and ring gear from a GM V8. Should turn engine close to same speed as donor vehicle since the trailer wheel is 18" OD driving the 20" flywheel. Certainly a bulky setup but parking space is not an issue; nothing else going on that end of the engine mount but the starter assy. It can come off in seconds with two pins if need be.

Link to some progress pics. [urlhttp://s655.photobucket.com/albums/uu276/Tijean_photo/[/url]
« Last Edit: August 02, 2009, 07:39:05 PM by Tijean »
Frank

10/1 Jkson, ST5 gen. head

Tijean

• View Profile
Re: Electric start with a different twist!
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2009, 07:42:44 PM »
Screwed something up; try again with link to Photobuckedhttp://s655.photobucket.com/albums/uu276/Tijean_photo/
Frank

Tijean

• View Profile
Re: Electric start with a different twist!
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2009, 01:15:13 AM »
On the VW they project in about as far but are not getting hit with the injector spray. If it is any problem I can plug that hole and set the glow plug off centered to the top; just have to mess with keeping the body indexed. I wish I had measured the actual compressed volume when I had the head off, to see what my compression ratio really is. I perhaps could stand to reduce the volume of the dish in the plug as well. That would be easy to fill with weld and simply re drill the last 1/4" or so. That would hide a bit more of the plug end.

Frank