Author Topic: Anyone add a glow plug to their 6/1 ?  (Read 8131 times)

Randybee1

• View Profile
Anyone add a glow plug to their 6/1 ?
« on: August 21, 2009, 09:23:07 PM »
Anyone add a glow plug to their 6/1? I'm curious because Central Maine Diesel sells one and I figure that when I get old (like 110) it would/should make start up a breeze, but I'd like a little input before I buy one.  Randy B

Randybee1

• View Profile
Re: Anyone add a glow plug to their 6/1 ?
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2009, 07:51:45 AM »
Thanks, I guess I'l probably put one in and see what happens. Where did you get your glow plugs from?
Randy B

Irish Artist

• View Profile
    • murphyillustrates.com
PS 6/1 • PowerMac G5 Quad • An Electric Pencil Sharpener • 10 foot Trebuchet • Woodford Reserve & A Fine Cigar, life is good!  8)

Lister Rob

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2009, 09:46:07 PM »
 on my startomatic 6-1 it is 24 volt so would you have to have a 12 volt battery just for the glow plug. didn,t want to get one and have it burn up. maybe someone may have went through this. thanks.

Tijean

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2009, 09:53:01 PM »
That is a bargain compared to making one up and finding the right glow plug.  Not cold enough to give mine a test yet but the glow plug is there now and it is electric start though the finishing touches need to be put on that project.

http://s655.photobucket.com/albums/uu276/Tijean_photo/

If this link works there are pics of starter mechanism and glow plug assy. I made. There is no way I would get that 10-1 going in really cold weather otherwise. I know my VW lets me know as soon as one of the glow plugs have gone open when it is -30C

« Last Edit: August 23, 2009, 09:59:46 PM by Tijean »
Frank

10/1 Jkson, ST5 gen. head

centralmainediesel

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2009, 10:02:49 PM »
We had a 12/1 "thumper" and a 24/2 unit set up with the glowplugs out in our yard this past winter. Morning temps were -10 and we left the engines outside for a couple of hours to get "acclimated" to the cold. After applying the glowplugs to both units for about 20 seconds, both fired with relative ease and we were impressed with the results. We tried the plugs, again on a couple more occasions and are satisifed that if they engines will start in the middle of a Maine winter, they will start anywhere. Give 'em a try; I am sure you will be pleased.....Thanks, Phil from Central Maine Diesel

oliver90owner

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2009, 09:03:00 AM »
so would you have to have a 12 volt battery just for the glow plug.

No.  Either put in a series resistor to drop the volts (could be another glowplug) or get a suitable glowplug in 24 volt rating (most lorries are 24 volt although not many might be fitted with glow plugs these days).  The former solution is cheap if you puchase car-type glow plugs from your local auto parts supplier.

Regards, RAB

Randybee1

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2009, 11:53:07 AM »
so would you have to have a 12 volt battery just for the glow plug.

(most lorries are 24 volt although not many might be fitted with glow plugs these days). 
Regards, RAB

Problem is, I've NEVER seen any lorries here in the states! :D
Randy B

oliver90owner

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2009, 05:33:47 PM »
I've NEVER seen any lorries here in the states!

A truck over here is what you might call a SUV or is a tipper lorry - a skip on wheels.

Oh, and gas is actually a gas not a volatile liquid hydrocarbon mixture over here.  Now it contains -ols and other components, of course.  I reckon petrol is a much better descriptive word, but not sure of its original derivation.

One has to remember that the US is really only a small part of the world! :)

lol,

RAB

BruceM

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2009, 09:21:47 PM »
I've been using George's glow plug in my 6/1 the last couple years.  I highly recommend a glow plug for anyplace with colder temps.

You can use a buck converter to change that 24VDC to 12V for a glow plug.

Or make up a simple 50% duty cycle oscillator circuit with 4000 cmos (say 10KHz) and drive a Mosfet with it.  The glow plug will be happy enough with that.

Bruce M

listeroil

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2009, 11:18:03 PM »
Randy B
One thing that nobody has mentioned yet is the compression ratio on a 6/1 is 16 to 1 low compression and 19 to 1 in high compression mode. If you fit a glow plug kit you will need to adjust your bump clearance to get the compression ratio correct 75thou to 80thou dont just fit one in. It would be the same as running in high compression all the time. Not a good idea.

Lister Rob
RABs idea off using 2 glowplugs in series is very good you could mount the second glow plug in the inlet port and add a bit of extra heat to the system for an even bigger improvement.

Mick

listeroil

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2009, 06:19:32 PM »

I respectfully disagree with that comment. The glow plugs are supposedly designed to set the resulting compression in the middle between high and low compression. I do not think it is a point worrying about.

Sorry I was talking about genuine lister engines it seem like indian engines are made without the co valve and it is only fitted if people say they want it.
http://www.utterpower.com/cov.htm
I stand corrected.

Mick

Tijean

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2009, 02:30:06 AM »
Some of the warnings about piston clearance to deck or to valve might have more to do with ensuring valves and piston clearance with the reduced valve lash and extended valve duration on some of the 8-1 10-1 engines than it does with setting the compression ratio. You would have to accurately measure the volumes of the various combinations and see what the net result would be. If you are making up your own plug assembly you can vary the volume it contributes to final chamber size and CR.

The increase in compression pressure iitself as a stressor is quite insignificant though compared to the pressures during combustion. It certainly could affect optimum injection timing though. Low compression that contributes to delayed or erratic ignition can actually result in higher peak pressures than a higher compression ratio might.
Frank

10/1 Jkson, ST5 gen. head