Author Topic: Hopper cooled CS  (Read 8525 times)

contaucreek

• View Profile
Hopper cooled CS
« on: July 15, 2009, 11:34:32 AM »
Hi guys. Can anyone provide a picture of a CS with the bolt on water hopper ?. This was an option in the late 1930's Thanks, Paul.
L.E.F. Dip #1 Threadstopper Extraordinaire

compig

• 1953 Lister CS 6/1 SOM owner
    • View Profile
Re: Hopper cooled CS
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2009, 06:33:13 PM »
Where did you see reference to a hopper cooled option ?  I can't find any reference to this anywhere. There was a radiator cooled option. Would hopper cooling be even possible with overhead valves ?  Various petrol Listers had the hopper option , but they were all side valve.
DON'T STEAL , THE GOVERNMENT DOESN'T LIKE COMPETITION !!!
Lister A
Onan W3S Genny
Petter A1
Villiers C45 industrial
Continental flat six powerpacket
ANOTHER Lister 6/1 CS SOM , temporarily !!!

contaucreek

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2009, 11:44:34 PM »
The hopper bolted to the cylinder after you removed the water jacket inspection plate. I assume it evaporated out of the head port to a riser tube...dunno.Are you missing your copy of David Edgingtons book on the CS Compiq  ;) ??

Stan

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2009, 01:39:01 AM »
Any tank cooled engine with a dip in the rubber line to the tank become a hopper cooled engine.  ;D
Stan

compig

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2009, 04:25:59 PM »
Didn't see it in the CS book. Doesn't sound like hopper cooled in the true sense.
Lister A
Onan W3S Genny
Petter A1
Villiers C45 industrial

contaucreek

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2009, 05:24:56 PM »
Look closer, it's there with a little line drawing depiction. Also many references to hopper cooled models in the early delivery logs that David had listed.Hopper cooled models had the letter "H" where the letter "R" was normally present for a rad cooled model in the serial number. Other interesting tidbits are the fact that Lister manufactured some CS's that were reverse rotation and also some offered a fuel filter warmer heated by the cooling system ! I am still working on a cooling system for the new 16 but it looks like its going to be tank and engine on a nice vintage steel wheel cart I restored last year. There were many changes along the way for the CS weren't there !!

compig

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2009, 06:12:57 PM »
Ah ha !! Found it !!  So many versions available , Lister knew how to exploit a design !!  I'm off to a Vintage Rally tomorrow , little place called Much Marcle , only about 20 miles from me. You never know , I may even see a Hopper CS !!  Will post up pix of anything interesting !
Lister A
Onan W3S Genny
Petter A1
Villiers C45 industrial

wrightkiller

• View Profile

contaucreek

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2009, 10:51:00 PM »
That is Fred Van Hooks engine Wrightkiller, thanks for posting. I guess we could call that a hopper  :)

listerdiesel

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2009, 10:11:12 AM »
I'm off to a Vintage Rally tomorrow , little place called Much Marcle , only about 20 miles from me. You never know , I may even see a Hopper CS !!  Will post up pix of anything interesting !

One of the Usenet forum guys went there last evening, turned around and went home as the field entrance was a mudbath with more heavy rain forecast.

Peter

listerdiesel

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2009, 10:19:41 AM »
There is a 5-gallon water tank listed under the heading of "Hopper" in the Changed Number listing, part number 8-7-52, from engine 4803 onwards.

Looking at the parts list, it seems that there is a joining bracket to the block, with gaskets, and a pipe from the cylinder head to the tank as well.

Peter

compig

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2009, 10:51:44 AM »
I'm off to a Vintage Rally tomorrow , little place called Much Marcle , only about 20 miles from me. You never know , I may even see a Hopper CS !!  Will post up pix of anything interesting !

One of the Usenet forum guys went there last evening, turned around and went home as the field entrance was a mudbath with more heavy rain forecast.

Peter

Well , it isn't very far so I'll chance it. You never know they may have put some mud mats down !  Thanks for the alert though.
Lister A
Onan W3S Genny
Petter A1
Villiers C45 industrial

Combustor

• Combustor
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2009, 11:17:17 AM »
Hi Contaucreek and members,
                                         I assume that hopper cooling was only ever recommended for a CS sized engine on intermittent service.  I have an 8/1 with a steel hopper of about 40 litres, and with a 2KW load it is near boiling in about an hour. It gets occasional standby use, but is mostly a display item at the odd show or rally, as the hopper
makes it somewhat more transportable. Still a great looking old motor and still draws its share of attention.  Regards,  Combustor.
Toys include- Lister CS 8/1, Lister VA SOM plant and some Aussie engines.
   "Old iron in the Outback" Kimberley, West Australia.

compig

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2009, 05:23:51 PM »
Was ok at Much Marcle , the wind & sun had dried things up considerably. No hopper CS's but there was a lone CS ! Just chugging away at about 300 RPM driving a nasty little alternator and a car alternator. Just a standard version not a SOM type. There were a couple of other interesting engines including a Crossley 2 stroke , pressure scavenged oil engine. Mostly it was the usual Lister D's , A's , Amanco and other small horizontals. Took some pix but proper photographs so it will be a few days before I get them up on the gallery. 
Lister A
Onan W3S Genny
Petter A1
Villiers C45 industrial

contaucreek

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2009, 05:53:25 PM »
O.K. Mr. Forbes, now we are getting somewhere thanks. Out of curiousity I wonder if twins had 2 hoppers or just piping to accommodate the 2nd cylinder. Seems like the natural solution was to go to a higher capacity tank than the constant replenishment that a hopper would require.Thanks for the digging,  P.