Author Topic: Used cutting oil as fuel?  (Read 6587 times)

Tom

• Green power is good.
    • View Profile
Used cutting oil as fuel?
« on: July 15, 2009, 01:54:21 AM »
At work today I was asked if I could use a barrel of once used cutting oil to fuel the generator. It is described as some what thick, like 90wt gear oil, with a clear honey color. I'm going to try and find out exactly what it is, but in general does anyone have a comment?
Tom
2004 Ashwamegh 6/1 #217 - ST5 just over 3k hours.

rl71459

• View Profile
Re: Used cutting oil as fuel?
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2009, 02:11:34 AM »
I have used well filtered grinding oil in my MBZ 190d with no problems in more than a year. I even used it all winter thinned
with RUG.

wrightkiller

• View Profile

Tom

• Green power is good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2009, 02:55:53 AM »
Good info, Thanks! I will get the mfg and type tomorrow and look it up.
Tom
2004 Ashwamegh 6/1 #217 - ST5 just over 3k hours.

M61hops

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2009, 09:19:02 AM »
When I worked in a machine shop that ran automatic screw machines the cutting oil was a very high sulphur content product.  I don't know if all cutting oils are high in sulphur or if that would cause any problems.  Good to check the make up of the brand you'll use as there might be some additives that are undesireable for diesel fuel.  Despite the fact that new diesel fuel is now required to be low sulphur content, I seem to recall that there was something good about having sulphur in diesel fuel.  Please let us know how it works out.     Leland
I pray everyday giving thanks that I have one of the "fun" mental disorders!

panaceabeachbum

• View Profile
    • Thompson Machine
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2009, 06:42:03 PM »
The sulfur in coiting oils is used because it has extreme pressure and heat resistant properties. I believe its commonly used in diesel for the same reason .  The only down side of using cutting oil is it usualy has a very high wax and lard content which might cause a little carbon build up