Author Topic: Lost my My Lister Mentor and Diesel Resource; George Helmuth  (Read 4646 times)

rleonard

• Mattoon, Illinois
    • View Profile
Mr George Helmuth, Owner of Helmuth and Son Engine Shop, Arthur, IL. passed away Sunday July 5 2009 at the early age of 63.  His death was sudden and very unexpected.  His knowledge of Lister CS and the entire line, Petter, Deitz, antique machinery, his friendship and service to the community will be deeply missed.  Services were held today, July 8, 2009 at his residence.

I saw my first CS, a 3 hp, running at his shop pulling a generator for the lights.  From that point on, the interest in the Listers and the seeds of a friendship were sewn.  Over the next several years we went to shows, spent countless hours together and he taught me a few things bout the Listers.  Saturday lunch at the R&I in downtown Arthur was a fairly regular event.  He had forgotten more than I'll ever know about the engines.

I bought my engines from him and although he hated to part with them I think that he was glad to see them find new life and a caring owner.  We went thru the rebuild process and he was mindfull that I was doing things right.

I referred many forum members to him for parts.  He helped many members here.

George, I'll miss you.

Robert Leonard
Faster - Better - Cheaper  You can have any two, but not all three

MoeK

• View Profile
Re: Lost my My Lister Mentor and Diesel Resource; George Helmuth
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2009, 04:54:27 AM »
Sorry to hear that. I did not know him well but did speak with him once over the phone. I enjoyed my discussion with him and he clearly knew a lot about the Lister. He has a great deal of knowledge about the British Lister and also knew of the history.

wrightkiller

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2009, 02:03:55 PM »
 :( :( :( :'( :'( :'(

rcavictim

• Certified Generator Head and Grand Master Sparky
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2009, 08:05:37 AM »
Sorry for your/our loss.

In the Amateur or Ham radio community a deceased liscensed radio operator is referred to as a 'silent key'.  Perhaps something similarly reverent could be applied to active stationary engine enthusiasts when they pass on.  Might I humbly submit the term 'still flywheel', or 'flywheel at rest'.
-DIY 1.5L NA VW diesel genset - 9 kW 3-phase. Co-gen, dualĀ  fuel
- 1966, Petter PJ-1, 5 kW air cooled diesel standby lighting plant
-DIY JD175A, minimum fuel research genset.
-Changfa 1115
-6 HP Launtop air cooled diesel
-Want Lister 6/1
-Large DIY VAWT nearing completion

Dail R H

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2009, 01:22:23 AM »
   Sorry to hear of his passing. If it counts,I vote for "Still Flywheel"

sid

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2009, 02:22:51 AM »
Dail/ hope you made it home from Denton o.k/ had a good time running the diesel/it was too hot to stay too long/if we had the time I would have intoduced you to my mentor there/ he is 87 and a pain in th a** a lot of the times but the amount of knowledge is beyond belief/we have been to dozens of shows the last 20 years and there will be a big void when his flywheel stops/ I hate to see all  that knowledge stop/ we will take a 3 day trip and he will start a story when we leave and not finish until we arrive home/he will have branched off on side stories many times but will always return to the original story/he started working for Ford in 1949 after 4 years in the military and graduating from clemson//he is one of the few people to work a steam locomotive in 1940/not many like that left/ there will be big void when he leaves us/sid
15 hp fairbanks morris1932/1923 meadows mill
8 hp stover 1923
8 hp lg lister
1932 c.s bell hammer mill
4 hp witte 1917
5 hp des jardin 1926
3 hp mini petters
2hp hercules 1924
1 1/2 briggs.etc