Alternative fuels > Bio-diesel Fuel

The rarely heard of, yet incredible SVO source

<< < (2/8) > >>

binnie:
The site wouldn't come up for me either...What is this stuff? Interested....

Sukhoi_fan:
Sorry guys, I don't know what to tell ya about that link not opening for ya. I just cliicked on the link in original post and it opened just fine for me. Of course it is a pdf document and you know how squirrelly those can be in Windows.

Go to your favorite search engine(s) and do a search on 'Chinese Tallow tree'.

I searched and found sources stating a yield of up to 1,000 gallons or more of oil per acre from the berries of the Chinese Tallow tree. :o

Andre Blanchard:
Here is a link the the entire directory.
http://www.hear.org/pier/pdf/

And the parent page.
http://www.hear.org/pier/

rpg52:
I believe I recall hearing it already is a big problem in the Everglades.  I think I heard it dries out the swamp, burns like gasoline and spreads like wildfire.  For what it's worth, I'd be very, very careful.  Quotes of fantastic yields ("1000 gallons of oil per acre") nearly always are either gross exaggerations or are dependant on other factors unnamed.  (Like, it took 30 years to begin yielding, etc.)  More Kudzu anyone?  How about some beautiful Water Hyacinth?  Everyplace has their nasty introduced weeds, but some of the worst are ones purposely planted because they seemed so useful once.  My $0.02.  :)
Ray

Sukhoi_fan:
From all the research I've done thus far and the RKIs I have chatted with, 500 to 1,000 gallon/acre yields seem realistic, IF they could be harvested on a large scale. The challenge is harvesting the berries economicially, that's why no one has already done this. And it is a huge, seemingly insurmountable challenge. At this point I have serious doubts it could be feasible due to all the little problems. In China where manual labor is dirt cheap, they harvest by hand, but because of other factors their culitivation of Tallow tree berries is on the decline.

The current line of thinking is to get one of those tree shakers like they use to harvest pecans with. We're likely going to give it a shot, but this year's berries wouldn't be ripe enough until fall.

And because it is considered a noxious weed by many (and it really is), it would be a really bad idea to introduce them somewhere where they haven't already invaded.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version