Author Topic: Lady Luck and the 16/2  (Read 6790 times)

contaucreek

• View Profile
Lady Luck and the 16/2
« on: July 04, 2009, 05:41:13 PM »
I have been staying quiet about this for fear of jinxing the deal but everything came together and I am the new owner of a gorgeous 1981 16/2 from Western Canada. Pictures are at www.smokstak.com   in the vintage diesels forum-pop on over and have a peek !!  Paul.
L.E.F. Dip #1 Threadstopper Extraordinaire

apogee_man

• View Profile
Re: Lady Luck and the 16/2
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2009, 06:14:15 PM »
WOW Paul!!!!

Congrats on a great find!!!!

Steve

contaucreek

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2009, 06:41:19 PM »
Lets just say not free but very affordable. The funny thing is someone else backed out of the deal  ??? and I just stepped right in  ;D

billswan

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2009, 06:58:37 PM »
WOW ;D
16/1 Metro  in the harness choking on WMO ash!!

10/1 OMEGA failed that nasty WMO ash ate it

By the way what is your cylinder index?

apogee_man

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2009, 07:02:35 PM »
So Paul...

If you ever need room in your engine shed, need extra cash, or grow tired of the 16/2 for any reason....

Please put my name on it!

(figured that it couldn't hurt to toss my hat into the ring very early...)

;D

Again, congrats!

Steve
« Last Edit: July 04, 2009, 07:08:43 PM by apogee_man »

LowGear

• Casey
  • What? My diesel had fries for lunch?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2009, 08:40:52 PM »
Gosh!

I don't like to use that sort of language on a public forum but what God did you pray to for the other deal to fall through?

Casey
NPR Tipper/Dump Truck
Kubota BX 2230
Witte BD Generator
SunnyBoy 6000 + SolarWorld 245

contaucreek

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2009, 10:03:04 PM »
It's still on the trailer and I haven't got home yet, i am at my GF's restaurant out back doing a little spit polish. All the original paint and transfers are present. One decompression handle has been replaced but my Toolmaker buddy will make me a new one. Injector bleed off looks homemade but there is a British car repair shop around the corner from my work and after I look at the dwg's we should be able to come up with a better looking replacement if this is not the original tubing.Zero evidence of any tool marks on the head bolts. When it arrived all the moveable parts had been heavily greased, either a testament to the previous owner or his Mechanic Son who sold me the engine.I dont know what that funky black paint is from the crankcase up but it is slowly coming off however I dont want to get under the M.B.G. so I will probably back off on any more attempts at its removal. Fuel and cooling system needs to be worked out. I will probably replace the filter mount bar with a longer one and add one on the opposite side to make the mount for the tank that I see on most other engines. As for cooling  anyones guess. Engine was probably mounted in a building and had auxiliary fuel and cooling arrangements. I do have an appropriate sized steel tank I pulled from the dump last year with a thought towards it being a cooling tank if a tank cooled Lister ever came my way so might just mount engine on a purpose built trailer for engine, tank and room for a generator or ? Definite showpiece for me here though and I am still pinching myself on the hour to make sure its not some kind of twisted dream I am having !! P. And thanks for the comments guys....my head will start to go down to regular size by the morning !!

M61hops

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2009, 11:13:13 PM »
Congrats on your score!  What are the valve covers made from?  They look like stamped sheet metal?  I would like to get a cast cover for my 'roid to see if it would run quieter.  If you ever strip this motor down maybe you could take photos so we could see the diferences between a genuine Lister and a Listeroid?                                   Leland
I pray everyday giving thanks that I have one of the "fun" mental disorders!

contaucreek

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2009, 11:46:33 PM »
Those covers are cast al-you-minium  :D

compig

• 1953 Lister CS 6/1 SOM owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2009, 04:14:21 PM »
Thats an astounding find and quite incredible good luck !! The condition is fantastic , I have never seen a shiny crank on an engien that old ! 
DON'T STEAL , THE GOVERNMENT DOESN'T LIKE COMPETITION !!!
Lister A
Onan W3S Genny
Petter A1
Villiers C45 industrial
Continental flat six powerpacket
ANOTHER Lister 6/1 CS SOM , temporarily !!!

contaucreek

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2009, 11:32:36 AM »
Lag bolted the engine down to a couple of 4' hardwood 4x4's and made some noise last night. Runs perfect so next step is a cart then on with the fuel and cooling systems !

apogee_man

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2009, 05:23:57 AM »
Cool!!!!

Wish I was at that stage with mine....

Oh well, soon enough I suppose.

Please keep us posted.

Steve

contaucreek

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2009, 09:07:33 PM »
Updated pics are on the lister engine gallery "Paul Clement". Also wanted to post a few of my findings (2nd attempt at this). I found all studs and water fitting gaskets heavily greased. The air inlet manifold has one stud that is quite longer than the others and one has to build it up in order to get the nut to tighten down on it. I found a Gov't tag that stated the engine was the property of the Province of Alberta as the previous owner had stated.The upper water manifold seemed to be a pieced together thing, post factory, but closer inspection revealed that they are 2 seperate unmodified elbows held to the "T" pipe with "Jubilee" clips (unavailable in Canada) Lister primed everything prior to painting. What do you make of this upper water fitting ? Factory ? I was thinking that this may very well be a C.K.D. (complete knock down) engine that was provided as a kit of parts to be assembled by the end user ? Comments or anyone else work on a late Lister CS and find any similarities ?  Paul.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2009, 10:09:45 PM by contaucreek »

rleonard

• Mattoon, Illinois
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2009, 12:48:55 PM »
The water piping arrangement with the cast elbows, rubber coupling and Tee is all stock Lister.  The cast piece on my engine is from a Bamford and modified to fit the Lister.  Hole pattern is slightly different.

Most clamps I have seen used are the standard worm-screw type stainless steel.  T bolt clamps could be used if you want to upgrade.

Bob
Faster - Better - Cheaper  You can have any two, but not all three