Puppeteer

Author Topic: My Listeroid sprung a leak  (Read 13944 times)

t19

• Tanks and Lister... Heavy Metal
    • View Profile
My Listeroid sprung a leak
« on: July 04, 2009, 03:45:10 AM »
What a mess, thank god for Absorball

Well my Indian fuel parts have sprung fuel leaks... screwed around with it but screw it going to a truck center and getting all new lines made and using a standard spin on truck fuel filter

the filter leaks, the lines connections are leaking and will not screw tight into anything else.. and would you not know, we had a power failure and I cant start it because I cant get prime...$#%#$%# indian parts

There is plenty of room for all of Gods creatures... right next to the mashed potatoes...

ronmar

• View Profile
Re: My Listeroid sprung a leak
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2009, 03:48:27 AM »
Yep, those indian fuel line fittings need to bottom out on a flat face in order to seal.  They will scre into a regular NPT fitting, but they won't seal.  A different filter and lines was one of the first things I did...
PS 6/1 - ST-5.

tiger

• Retired-Retarded-Work well with adult supervision
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2009, 04:02:38 AM »
If you need to temp get running try this: find some waxed string 1/16 dia aircraft folks call it spot tie. wrap the string around the banjoe bolt5to10 turns on both sides and cinch down, do the same on the fuel injector lines and cinch the nuts down. I ran a Buda with 2 cracked injector lines fom Lund BC to Oak Harbor Wash. back in the 70's. all it did was weep a bit
Metro 12/2 ST 10 KW

mobile_bob

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2009, 04:04:09 AM »
for a simple fuel filter that works

get one of those little metal inline gas filters,,

now before someone starts laughing !! :)

freightliner used this sort of filter in a fuel filter leading to a transfer pump from the tank to the 5.9 cummins
engine's they used in the FL60 series trucks,, and they ran for a very long time

i know of one truck where it was found, that had been in for well over 100k miles and over 3 years

i have no idea what micron they are, may come in various, i dunno
but i cannot think of a simpler filter to replace either a changfa or listeroid oem product with.

fwiw

bob g
otherpower.com, microcogen.info, practicalmachinist.com
(useful forums), utterpower.com for all sorts of diy info

JohnF13

• View Profile
    • woodnstuff
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2009, 11:13:13 AM »

sigh;

Andrew, didn't I TELL you Indian tin is junk and needed to be replaced ASAP?  As Bob says, take off the stock filter and replace it with an in-line one.  Has worked well for me for 20k+ hours!  Pop over and see me this morning and I'll get you fixed up.
John F
2 x 6/1 JKSON.  1 x 10/1 JKSON, 1 x 27hp Changfa, 1 x 28hp AG295, 1 genuine 1939 SOM, a couple of others in test mode and a Hercules Multu-fuel still in the box.

t19

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2009, 01:18:16 PM »
Yes you did, but you know the story......

It was working and other things came to my attention .

Hey thanks, I'll drop by
There is plenty of room for all of Gods creatures... right next to the mashed potatoes...

WGB

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2009, 02:41:19 PM »
I played with mine long enough that I got the leaks stopped.
I use fiber gaskets where the lines bottom out in the fittings & found a oring that fit the filter can.
All that said I'm going to change all the fuel line components.

t19

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2009, 04:44:16 PM »
Well I finally got all the new parts in place.  Thanks John F for the bits and parts and of course timeless advise.

I bought a heavy duty metal shelving unit to hold my fuel, Rad and assorted bits to clean up my garage. 

HEre are the pictures of the completed monster.  BTW it works great, bleed the lines and started right up, this system is so much better than the crap that came with the engine, stronger feed, easier to read how much fuel, and NO LEAKS!!!!

All cleaned up

The Trouble Maker - leaking piece of crap

My new set up

Rad Mount and in line fuel filter - I bungied it off to stop it bouncing around, works great

Refill Gravity feed, so much easier than the old tank, and 100% easier in the Dark - No spinning wheels to get me

View from the side, I have marked Front back and sides so I can see how I am doing while working in the shop

This is the front of the fuel tank.  I have two scales, on the right, How much fuel (I have a small reserve under the Empty, but I wanted to be safe.  On the left side is a scale of time... This will not be 100% accurate - depends on load, ect, but will be a rough guide to let me, or family know our remaining run times ( how much fuel is left means nothing to them)

I will fill that in as I start to use it, and yes we had a power outage last night... which inspired me to finish the job this morning...

So, let the darkness come, I have power once again!!!!

Cheers

Andrew

t19

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2009, 04:55:18 PM »
The next thing to remove is the old fuel tank, it will go off to the dump as it leaks like the titanic as well... poor on/off selector.

You might have noticed the metal L shaped bracket, that was from an earlier experiment with a spin on fuel filter - Over engineered,, leaked too... now going to use it to mount a simple fuel return catch bottle off the injector.  Just something I can check and dump back in to the main tank when it starts to fill.

BTW she had been sitting idle without fuel for months, once I bleed the lines and start to hear the clack of the fuel injector, I spun it up and she started right away... ran her for 30 minutes with a load just to heat her up... she loved it.

oliver90owner

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2009, 05:47:38 PM »
I spun it up and she started right away

I hope you oiled the mains, big ends and camshaft non-drive end bearing if those were appropriate for an engine standing for an extended length of time ;D

Regards, RAB

Tijean

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2009, 05:56:00 PM »
Mine leaked at the fuel shut off valve shaft so replaced it with a 1/4 npt ball valve and cobbled an adapter. Will definitely change out the whole system and mount the tank and a spin on element filter/water separator on the frame, not the engine.

I am sure no fan of the straight threads for sealing fluids! The system probably has some redeeming quality but it escapes me!
Frank

10/1 Jkson, ST5 gen. head

t19

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2009, 07:30:36 PM »
I used that white pipe seal, stays soft but gums up the threads really good... much better than Teflon tape, all my threads are good and note leaking anything at all... that makes for happy faces:D

matt

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2009, 12:34:08 AM »
Great pics Andrew!!!!!!

I replaced my tank tap with a ball valve as well....much better.
Also I use a Powerline fuel filter - this is way better than other Indian offerings. No leaks!!!!!!!!

regards,
Matt

t19

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2009, 01:11:19 AM »

I hope you oiled the mains, big ends and camshaft non-drive end bearing if those were appropriate for an engine standing for an extended length of time ;D

Regards, RAB

She has not started in months... i did spin her a lot trying t get prime... twice the damn thing nearly killed me spinning by hand and not being able to get prime.

Tijean

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2009, 01:29:21 AM »

Regards, RAB

She has not started in months... i did spin her a lot trying t get prime... twice the damn thing nearly killed me spinning by hand and not being able to get prime.

I found I could rock the flywheel repeatedly back and forth just through the inject period and work the air out without all the cranking. It would have started first attempt then if I hadn't fumbled by  having the exhaust valve lifter locked down. It was the first time for us both so we were a bit nervous.

The usual half gasket to adjust for their machining tolerances as shown in the first pic I grabbed to test putting up photos!

http://i655.photobucket.com/albums/uu276/Tijean_photo/Copy2ofIMG_1047_2.jpg?t=1248653747

Seeing if Photobucket works
« Last Edit: July 27, 2009, 01:37:16 AM by Tijean »
Frank

10/1 Jkson, ST5 gen. head