Author Topic: Heatwave ???  (Read 30581 times)

compig

• 1953 Lister CS 6/1 SOM owner
    • View Profile
Re: Heatwave ???
« Reply #30 on: July 08, 2009, 02:59:55 PM »
Or the big droughts in the Mid West dust bowl of the '30's was it ?
DON'T STEAL , THE GOVERNMENT DOESN'T LIKE COMPETITION !!!
Lister A
Onan W3S Genny
Petter A1
Villiers C45 industrial
Continental flat six powerpacket
ANOTHER Lister 6/1 CS SOM , temporarily !!!

Combustor

• Combustor
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 08, 2009, 03:32:44 PM »
Hello Compiq,
                 Re your query regarding oil grades etc. in the hot tropics, most engines cope fine as long as their cooling systems have adequate capacity.
Engines are thus maintained at thermostat controlled temperatures so regular oils such as 15W/40 are fine. Many aircooled diesels are OK as long as they are kept
clean and not overloaded. Auto aircon systems are a whole different story as many were never made to cope with this climate. Just buy a Toyota Landcruiser
and it will handle any climate OK. Regards,  Combustor.
Toys include- Lister CS 8/1, Lister VA SOM plant and some Aussie engines.
   "Old iron in the Outback" Kimberley, West Australia.

compig

• 1953 Lister CS 6/1 SOM owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 08, 2009, 03:49:25 PM »
My knowledge tells me that's how it is but somehow it just seems impossible !  Even my humble , decade old , Citroen HDI daily driver shrugged off the recent 32 Deg C temps we've had in the UK recently , the only thing different was that the fans cycled more frequently in traffic !!  Aircooled motorcycles are a different deal though. I know Penrite marketed an SAE 50w70 lube for Harley's used in the Oz climate !!  But of course aircooled bikes rely on the oil to do far more cooling than a liquid cooled motor.
Land Cruisers will indeed cope with anything !!
DON'T STEAL , THE GOVERNMENT DOESN'T LIKE COMPETITION !!!
Lister A
Onan W3S Genny
Petter A1
Villiers C45 industrial
Continental flat six powerpacket
ANOTHER Lister 6/1 CS SOM , temporarily !!!

LowGear

• Casey
  • What? My diesel had fries for lunch?
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 08, 2009, 07:54:01 PM »
GOOD NEWS!  GOOD NEWS!  GOOD NEWS!

The climate is coming but won't make any big impact until after we're all dead.

Just call me Good News Casey
« Last Edit: July 09, 2009, 05:40:22 AM by LowGear »
NPR Tipper/Dump Truck
Kubota BX 2230
Witte BD Generator
SunnyBoy 6000 + SolarWorld 245

Stan

« Reply #34 on: July 08, 2009, 10:50:23 PM »
Actually Bob, the bleeding hearts and the tree huggers are (perhaps unintentionally but non the less) are hurting the situation by their rabid, mouth frothing insistence that nuclear power is bad.  Quite the contrary, some of the newer, smaller designs of the rapid breeder reactors are essentially the only things that might preserve a semblance of our civilization as we know it.

They are much more efficient at converting fissionable material into power, on the order of 90+%.  They produce very little radioactive waste, however that waste is very very radioactive, enough so that terrorists couldn't ever use any of it to harm us because it would kill them first.  The radioactive waste is also relatively short lived so it could be encased in glass and dumped in the ocean and it would be non radioactive before the glass deteriorated.

They are cheap to produce, and very very safe.  The only thing that is keeping the world from developing them is the political will of the leaders.  Most uninformed citizens have grown up hearing about unsafe Chernoble type reactors poisoning the earth for millions of years, and maybe if we let the Russians build them they will.  However they can be built and operated safely.
Stan

Grael

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 10, 2009, 04:12:11 AM »
GOOD NEWS!  GOOD NEWS!  GOOD NEWS!

The climate is coming but won't make any big impact until after we're all dead.

Just call me Good News Casey

Works great for you older folk. I, on the other hand... :-\
GTC 8-1

"Traveling 33 RPM in an iPod world"

Stan

« Reply #36 on: July 10, 2009, 04:31:41 AM »
Don't worry, you won't be alone in facing the music.  I guess I should have made it more clear.  It isn't the freaky weather caused by global warning that we have to worry about, however that will be a concern.  It's you and me!

I mean people worldwide, of course. Politics!  If anyone thinks the Pakistan government (a nuclear power of course) is going to sit there and let many of it's people die of starvation while India takes most of it's water away from it after 4 or 5 years of permanent drought, think again.

If anyone thinks the USA is going to get off scott free when 6 or 7 million Mexican people who are starving to death because they haven't had any rain for 5 years decide they have to crash the fence and cross the Rio Grande, and women and children get machine gunned by (servo controlled weapons) to death on world wide viewed webcams, think again.  There are, what(?) several million people of Mexican descent already bona fide American citizens who aren't going to put up with that crap!  The US civil war was fought over less.

If anyone thinks that China is going to let millions starve to death while Russia continues to hold on to it's territory (Siberia) that China has always maintained belongs to it, they're crazy and will probably get a really good dose of radioactive fallout to boot.

It just goes on and on and on.

Read "Climate Wars" by Gwynn Dyer.  It's an eye opener.

Grael

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 10, 2009, 05:18:11 AM »
I got to check out that book next time I'm near a book store.

*mental note* Start stock piling fuel, food and ammunition.  ;)
GTC 8-1

"Traveling 33 RPM in an iPod world"

SHIPCHIEF

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 10, 2009, 05:54:25 AM »
I don't really like Gwynn Dyer.  :P
I guess as a brain washed American, I think he's biased, in an unhealthy way. Although I do read up on his site periodically.
However, I do believe that wasting money on excess homeland security directed at the citizens; and phoney enviromental laws that add up to people control of mobility and choice, well, nothing good can come from it. So NO, I don't agree that persuing an envoronmental adjenda is no harm if it is not valid. And it's not valid.
The CO2 cycle follows global warming by about 800 years. It's not a trend indicator, it's an artifact. It's also not a pollutant, try living without it!
This is just a tax ruse, brought to you by your UN and gov't treaties.
I just heard the biggest one yet: Nitrogenated fuel! The new green fuel. What crock! How can an innert gas that makes up 70% of our atmosphere be a power constituent of a fuel?
I swear our culture is being turned upside down. Slutty girls are good. Morals are bad. Spending is good. Savings are bad. Screaching hate into a microphone is good entertainment. Music and songs of familiy values are sooo yesterday. We're so bad we don't deserve to live.
Wait! maybe we are being inundated by a media blitz to accept the absurd. To reduce the US (heck, all of us) to the point where a One World Dictatorship sounds like a good idea? Why else would the US & Britian debauche our currencies to nothingness?
I live as clean as I can. I believe in Good Stewardship. I don't believe in anthropogenic global warming. I have property close to Mt St. Hellens. I flew over it many times between and after it's major eruptions. Humans are pikers. Pseudo scientists that tell you people pollute more than volcanoes are trading on your ignorance. Mt. St. Hellens was a piker compare to Mt Pinotoba (sp?). Yet it was beyond AWSOME! It still emits 2/3 of Washington States sulfer dioxide emissions and it's been pretty quite for years now.
Pollution control is worthy on it's own merit. It's a good goal and good economics too, but it does not need multiple super gov't organizations plus the UN and a carbon trading scheme that could only be thought up by a criminal mind. buying, selling and trading pollution based on arbitrary quotas and estimated values that can't be apealed is the kind of thing you'd expect from the mafia.
Ashwamegh 25/2 & ST12
Lister SR2 10Kw 'Long Edurance' genset on a 10 gallon sump/skid,
Onan 6.5NH in an old Jeager Compressor trailer and a few CCK's

apogee_man

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 10, 2009, 08:02:57 AM »
Wait....

What if I LIKE slutty girls?

;)

I want to be very clear, that I also don't want the govt footprint in my life. 

You want to REALLY get me riled, let's talk low VOC auto paint and what a freakin misguided fiasco that is!!!!!!

My point was simply that I do think it's important to raise awareness and make changes that force humans to clean up our act.  As the world's top consumer of energy, it would make sense that the US start paying attention to the nest, and the damage being done.

I think there are HUGE opportunities in cleanly manufactured and ultra energy efficient products.  I also think the third world is going to be forced to get on the bandwagon because energy is only going to continue to get more expensive, and the costs will force the changes.

Not everything is about money, but unfortunately, it seems that way here in America.  There is little to no value placed on living a good life, running a clean business, or minimizing one's environmental footprint.  I also believe it will be America's ultimate undoing because I believe people are getting mighty tired of feeling like hamsters on a wheel.  (I know I am)  I think we are going to see a revolt and a transition back to a simpler way of doing things.

The thing that make me most angry about the climate talk is disparity between us individuals having the screws put to us, because they can, vs big business being allowed to continue screwing around without making serious changes.  We as individuals aren't organized and don't have lobbyists looking out for our interests, so we are the easy targets.

No long ago I visited Chicago and drove around the bottom of the Lake Michigan to where the steel industry is...  Flat out PATHETIC that they haven't been forced to clean up their act.  Yeah, it costs money, but the bottom line is it should have been being done all along.  That area is horribly polluted and the air is unfit to breathe...  Made me sick that they are still allowed to pollute like they are...  It is simply ridiculous!

I do think Bob and I are on the same page to a point.  However, the difference is I don't believe people will do the right thing without having some rules to follow.  I'm not talking having big brother breathing down our necks, just rules that make sense and are UNIFORMLY enforced.

I do disagree with the notion that because the third world isn't cleaning up their act that we shouldn't bother.  I completely disagree with that philosophy.  I would submit that we could lead by example and develop super energy efficient products then export that technology worldwide.

I've also witnessed enough businesses that fought the "green" concept tooth and nail, heels dragging the whole way, who then figured out they were more profitable once they cleaned up their act.  Yeah, some of them were forced.  But even then, it was very eye opening to hear owners that fought it admit that that they were more profitable and it wasn't so bad after all.  I didn't just witness it once, but many times over.  It pretty much completely pulled the teeth of the "it's going to ruin us" crowd and turned some of the biggest skeptics into the biggest supporters.

That having been said, I'll be right next to Bob when the try to impose an airtight house on me, tell me my Lister is too dirty, tell me that I can't paint my projects without a licensed spray booth, or demand that I start wearing a mask while sleeping to cut my personal CO2 emissions...

I've gone back and forth on this issue within myself for years.  I grew up in Los Angeles and remember driving a truck in downtown LA, sitting in traffic and not being able to read the freeway sign 30 yards in front of me due to smog.  I remember spending weeks in summer not able to take a deep breath because I'd be coughing it all out for the next minute due to the smog...  It's not like that anymore.  Even with more cars and more people, it's not even remotely close to what it used to be like...  So, as much as I HATE the Calif Air Resources Board, I begrudgingly do have to admit what they've been doing all these years is working.

That having been said, I think forcing manufacturers to put catalytic converters on all new lawnmowers is a bit overkill....  On the other hand, based on the air quality, what they've done thus far is working...

Hence, the internal argument...

Bottom line is there just needs to be balance.

I see no argument that justifies continuing to be the world's top energy consumer without regard to the environmental costs or resulting degradation, especially when the technology already exists to improve the situation.

I fail to understand how conserving natural resources and cleaning up the environment could not possibly be beneficial to the country in the long run.

How to best accomplish it or raise awareness?  I don't know...  I just know that we need to start moving in that direction one way or another... 

Whether cap and trade works or it doesn't, it's raising awareness and that is good.  The problem is, it allows industry, who are the biggest polluters, to just continue business as usual because they've "traded" and that pisses me off...

Bottom line is, if we don't get our collective act together soon, climate change, pollution, overpopulation, sickness, etc are going to become the limiting factors, and we won't have any choice as a species once that starts to happen.

Hence why I think it might be better to be proactive rather than reactive.

And no, I won't be burning tires in my yard anytime soon.

Steve

« Last Edit: July 10, 2009, 08:15:33 AM by apogee_man »

SHIPCHIEF

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 12, 2009, 12:41:37 AM »
Well I see your point and generally agree.
 Iceland uses Geothermal energy, and the nation would have gone bankrupt during last year's oil price gouge, except that they had their own energy for stationary use. Vehicle fuel was a problem, but keeping the house warm and the lights on is pretty important in Iceland, and they had that covered.
What gets me peeved is that Washington State is sitting on a very generous Geothermal 'reservation', and as of yesterday, there are NO PLANS to build a geothermal power plant, and No State Laws or guidelines to even start the process!
There are some notable geothermal plants in the US. We rate on the list of major geothermal wattage in the world, it's just that our needs are so high that the % generated by geothermal is pitifully small. That Tarp 'bailout' money didn't seem to go in the right direction. Capitalizing this kind of infrastructure in today's pre-hyperinflation dollars would be less damaging than starting it later.
Ashwamegh 25/2 & ST12
Lister SR2 10Kw 'Long Edurance' genset on a 10 gallon sump/skid,
Onan 6.5NH in an old Jeager Compressor trailer and a few CCK's

LowGear

• Casey
  • What? My diesel had fries for lunch?
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 12, 2009, 03:01:50 AM »
Our local utility manager, Hawaiian Electrical Company (HELCO) - a privately held corporation, buys a few percent of their electrical energy from a local geothermal company.  The company could supply twice as much but the infrastructure isn’t sufficient to deliver it to the island grid.  HELCO pays the same for geothermal as for diesel generated electricity – a state law that should encourage the development of locally produced electricity.  But HELCO won’t spend the money on infrastructure as they don’t see any advantage to them.  This book should be titled When Capitalistic Driven Marketism Fails the People.

Casey
NPR Tipper/Dump Truck
Kubota BX 2230
Witte BD Generator
SunnyBoy 6000 + SolarWorld 245

panaceabeachbum

• View Profile
    • Thompson Machine
« Reply #42 on: July 13, 2009, 02:15:04 AM »
its been 95-102f at 80% humidity for a couple of weeks here , a little cooler than the last few years .

Reading back thru some of the post in this thread , wouldnt it make you kind of a weenie to post how bad global warming is on a furum that revolves around oilburners??  In my opinion its the sun that has the greatest impact on or global temp , not humans . Mars has the same highs and lows as earth and no humans there

Stan

« Reply #43 on: July 13, 2009, 03:14:20 PM »
You are right in thinking that the sun is indeed heating up.  As a matter of fact, it has been for a couple of billion years.  It will surely enter a phase in which it will become uninhabitable on the earth, in about 2 - 3 billion years. 

I'm personally not too worried about that, I'm just worried about how the Chinese and the Russians are going to take it when most of Southern China becomes too difficult to live in due to the immense changes already evident in the monsoon circulation, and Northern China which now produces most of their food, becomes too dry for agriculture.  This is happening now!  One of these days the Chinese are going to politely ask the Russians for Siberia back, and the Russians are most certainly going to say no. It's what happens next that I'm worried about.

We aren't talking about this scenario playing out in a billion years either, more likely within the next 20 years.
Stan

AdeV73

« Reply #44 on: July 13, 2009, 05:14:19 PM »

But HELCO won’t spend the money on infrastructure as they don’t see any advantage to them.  This book should be titled When Capitalistic Driven Marketism Fails the People.

Of course... the beauty of capitalism is that there's nothing stopping you (and perhaps a few buddies) from setting your own Competitor Electric Co up...

If you can generate enough electricity cheaply enough, and grab/distribute to enough customers, you'll force HELCO to either close up, buy you out, or reform to stay in business...

I'm not sure what the situation is with your transmission network; if it's like it is in the UK, then it's either owned by HELCO or some kind of holding company - either way, you'd probably need to make your own network...