Author Topic: Heatwave ???  (Read 30573 times)

AdeV73

Re: Heatwave ???
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2009, 04:31:15 PM »
Goodwood was hot on Saturday , I know because I was there for the Festival of Speed. Biggest presence of F1 turbo cars were there since they were actually racing in the '80's , I was in heaven !

Nice! On Saturday, I was driving a Shelby Mustang around the Ascari race circuit :D Cracking stuff, but boy those brakes are lousy. Trying to persuade the owner to spend about $3000 on upgraded discs/calipers so it stops as well as it goes.

compig

• 1953 Lister CS 6/1 SOM owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2009, 05:13:08 PM »
Tell him to look on epay , there are often some trick 6 pots for pennies compared to new price.
DON'T STEAL , THE GOVERNMENT DOESN'T LIKE COMPETITION !!!
Lister A
Onan W3S Genny
Petter A1
Villiers C45 industrial
Continental flat six powerpacket
ANOTHER Lister 6/1 CS SOM , temporarily !!!

AdeV73

« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2009, 11:52:37 AM »
Tell him to look on epay , there are often some trick 6 pots for pennies compared to new price.

Hmmm... there's probably a reason for that.

IMHO, AP brakes are the way to go; but trying to find a set that'll fit in the standard wheels is proving......interesting.

compig

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2009, 12:10:17 PM »
Don't worry about the quality , we're talking ex-Merc , Porsche , BMW , 6 pots etc etc !!  They are coming off cars from breakers etc. Friend of mine picked up a pair of Aston Martin 6 pots for 2 or £300 !!  They are now on his 600 BHP RX7 and have transformed the braking power ! 
Lister A
Onan W3S Genny
Petter A1
Villiers C45 industrial

mobile_bob

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2009, 02:09:33 PM »
what constitutes a heat wave?

for me it was living in wichita kansas in the summer of 1980

for 6 weeks in never dipped below 110F and never got lower than 99F for the overnight low

many days it was 112-114F

the shop i worked in, my bays were faceing the west, in the afternoon, with the sun coming in
it would go over 130F as measured by a thermometer on the shady side of my tool box

needless to say there were many most welcome water fights

you could go from soaking wet to dry as a tater chip in less than 10 minutes

i decided then and there i had no desire to go to hell!

btw, that was only about 5 years or so into the big scare of an iceage freezing the planet solid

ya right!

i don't think the impending doom of an iceage caught much traction after that summer

bob g
otherpower.com, microcogen.info, practicalmachinist.com
(useful forums), utterpower.com for all sorts of diy info

Combustor

• Combustor
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 07, 2009, 04:22:09 PM »
         Heatwave??  Right now it's mid winter (dry season) here in the North of West Australia. Glorious weather, 28c to 32c days and 10c to16c nights. WE don't look forward to  summer (wet season) November to March, when it's 42c to 47c all day with about 99% humidity and still 30c+ after midnight with the chance of a tropical
thunderstorm when not even the rain is cool! It is around then that you bless the inventor of air conditioning, and give thanks for the 8/1 Start-o-Matic in the shed ,
                                                                                                                                                                                               Regards,  Combustor.
Toys include- Lister CS 8/1, Lister VA SOM plant and some Aussie engines.
   "Old iron in the Outback" Kimberley, West Australia.

compig

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 07, 2009, 04:56:23 PM »
Now thats what I call a heatwave !!  Makes you wonder hows vehicles can survive in that temperature !!  What do oil grade do you use in cars there , SAE 50-70 ?!!!
Lister A
Onan W3S Genny
Petter A1
Villiers C45 industrial

mobile_bob

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 07, 2009, 05:38:28 PM »
i had bought my first motorcycle that spring, a '76 harley wideglide
every noon we would all break for lunch, and there was one stop light that if you got caught
in it you had to sit there for about 5 minutes

you couldn't shut down the bikes, because they would vaporlock, so you let them sit and idle

every friggin time when the light turned green and i would crack the throttle, the relatively cold air/fuel mix
would hit the rear cylinder and pop the sparkplug internally

so i would go to lunch with a 2 cylinder, and return with a single cylinder harley

my god it was hot!

i remember sleeping at night, what little you could, and getting up ever hour to take a cold shower
and not even bother to towel off,, just hit the sheet wet
and lay there slowly steaming

we had one box fan, and it had to try to keep some air movement for us and our two young girls

and wouldn't you know it, one night a Tstorm blew in, and a bolt of lightening took that away from us too!

btw,, there were no box fans to be had in all of the midwest after the first day or so of that 6 week run of heat.

so we suffered another week, gave up our deposit on the rental, and moved to a much smaller place
that had airconditioning.

i don't ever wanna be that hot again, luckily i haven't had the displeasure.

bob g

ZackaryMac

• Nova Scotia, Canada
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 08, 2009, 02:38:39 AM »
It's supposed to go down to 7C tonight. In July. During the summer.

They claim 25C for the next few days. Our summers are short enough here, sure like to get SOMETHING before it turns cool again.

7C !   Pffftt!!
Kubota EL300A-R 4hp 12v Generator
Kubota B6100 HST Compact Tractor
Onan RDJA 8hp
1994 Chev S10 w/Isuzu C223
All are diesel.

Stan

« Reply #24 on: July 08, 2009, 04:36:06 AM »
Everyone.  I know that really hot days, and really cold days affect us all because they we remember them for a long time.  But please remember that what we are talking about when we do that is weather, NOT climate.

Weather is impossible to predict in any accurate way in the future.  I can't predict what the weather will be like on the afternoon of October 17th 2010 in Wichita Kansas, period.  What I can predict with nearly 100% accuracy is that the climate in December 2010 in Wichita will be much colder than the climate in July 2011 in Wichita.  That's because we have many many years of data that all show that to have been true in the past and will be true in the future.

The more historic data about the climate we have, the more accurate we can be about predicting it.  We have very accurate data about the relationship between C02 and heat going back hundreds of thousands of years in the form of ice cores from Greenland glaciers.  These ice cores contain pollen which tell us what plants were growing in the northern hemisphere, and bubbles of trapped air.  By analyzing the pollen to tell what plants they come from we can predict what the climatic temperatures were like. That same pollen can be carbon dated to tell us how long ago they were trapped there.   From the air bubbles sucked out of the ice we can find out the amount of C02 that was in the air at that time.

By analyzing thousands of such samples we have come up with some very accurate relationships.  During the ice ages, the c02 concentration in the air was around 200ppm.  This can only be attained by huge amounts of plant material pumping down the carbon from the air.  During the ice ages this probably was a combination of huge tropical forests in the tropics, and immense amounts of algae in the oceans.  Even today most of the life in the oceans is in the colder waters of the North and South.

By the 1800's the amount of C02 was increasing and due to our industrial revolution then, and the amount of ancient C02 we spew out from oil burning, now it's up to around 390 ppm

At the beginning of the 200,000 year hot period in the Eocene, the C02 ppm stood at 500.  We don't want that again.  Our civilization wouldn't be able to continue at those temperatures.  Oh, sure, some isolated groups of humans might be able to exist in the far north and maybe in Antarctica, but civilization as we know it, I think not.

The problem is that pesky 3 - 5 ppm C02 rise per year (and it's increasing).  The difficult thing to swallow is the notion of feedback.  As the Northern Ice melts, the darker water soaks up more sunshine in the summer resulting in long term climate change.  The tundra is melting spewing immense amounts of C02 into the air, creating more warmth and on and on.  The Boreal forest in Russia and Canada are increasing in size making more dark mass to soak up heat.  Large deposits of methane called clathrates are already starting to melt and release the gas which is 20x more potent that C02 etc. etc. etc.

The "tipping point" is just like a light switch.  When you turn it on, you can't stop at the exact point the light turns on, it has a spring in it that keeps it going with a snap.  The same thing is happening with our atmosphere.  Many believe we have gone past the tipping point and the whole thing is already turning itself on, and all we can do is hang on for dear life.

So, have a nice day everyone!  ;D

mobile_bob

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 08, 2009, 05:00:13 AM »
Stan:

thanks for the lesson in science history, or whatever you call it

my question comes down to this

prefaced on the fact that most of the global warming supporters are also earth first types

what we really have is an arguement about how hospitable a specific area is to mankind living there.

certainly this planet was doing just famously before mankind walked on it? and will be doing just fine once we
are all gone.

so what it comes down to with the bleeding heart earth first global warming supporters is really something less noble
all they really care about is whether or not they are going to be comfortable living where they choose to live.
they really could care the less about the planet one way or another as long as it doesn't effect their immediate sphere
or livelihood.

that is the part that makes me sick to my stomach, apart from those that choose to make millions or stand to make even more
by buying in and supporting claims that have faulty science behind them.

i will grant you we "may" be in a warming cycle, although there is strong evidence we are well into a cooling cycle, but
it is a cycle, and it cannot be supported that man has anything to do with it, however
there is much stronger evidence that the sun's cycles have much more dramatic effect on this rock

it only stands to reason

before man and oil there were times of much higher temps, more co2, and guess what
plants thrived

who was to blame for the higher temps and co2 levels?
dinosaurs belching or farting???
algae giving off CO2?
if so what stopped that cycle? 

must have been a sweet smelling place!

there is mounting evidence that this global warming thing has ran its course and we are definetly in a cooling cycle
all the while man is burning more coal and oil than ever,, if man is responsible for global warming we should certainly
be warming and not cooling.

after all it is reported that china is bringing on one new coal fired powerplant each week, and you can bet there are
no scrubbers, or cat converters either,, just mountains of smoke and CO/CO2

Stan, please step away from the koolaid!!

:)

bob g

apogee_man

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 08, 2009, 07:05:01 AM »
This argument is such a non-argument in my opinion.

The two minute analysis boils down to this:

If the globe is in fact warming due to human impact, and we choose to do nothing, we are toast as a species (might be anyway).

If the globe is warming due to human impact, and we choose to minimize said impact, then perhaps we stand a chance at reversing the process and the human species likely survives.

If the global warming concept is wrong and the globe is not warming, and we take measures to minimize human impact, nothing lost from a species preservation standpoint and human species continues to survive.

If the globe is in fact cooling and we incorrectly choose to minimize our impact because we still think it's warming, nothing lost from a species preservation standpoint and the human species continues to survive.

I would submit that only a fool would choose to do nothing while endlessly debating and pointing fingers.

Is that a risk you are willing to take?

In my humble opinion, it's simply not worth the risk to sit back and do nothing.

If the whole global warming concept is a bunch of bunk and we minimize our impact anyway, I don't see it as a big deal.

Now, on the other hand, if global warming is real, and we choose to do nothing, the result will likely be catastrophic.

Doesn't seem like much of a choice from where I sit.

Steve
« Last Edit: July 08, 2009, 07:06:51 AM by apogee_man »

mobile_bob

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 08, 2009, 08:10:41 AM »
Steve:

well to boil it down a bit further

"it depends on what we as a population are willing to do about it, or rather what are we
willing to live without, just in case this is man made?"

if it means particulate control on smoke stacks, fine !!
i don't think you will find many that will argue against that

if it means making and effort to use AE where it is reasonable to do so, fine!
not many against that either...

however

if it means i have to submit to some beurocrat telling me that i cannot build a house the way i see fit
without the states blessing, and build it to california codes, and submit to energy audits, and get energy star
ratings and all that bullshit, then i say screw you and the horse you road in on.

because that is what you will be using for transportation

i don't believe we should go around crapping in our nest, and we should make every effort to keep things
as clean as we can, but
we don't take draconian measures based on incomplete or faulty science, most especially when the rest of the
developing world has said screw that and will do as they please, and when we are in an economic crisis

to do so will only hasten our demise into being a 2nd world country, if not a 3rd.

i dunno, maybe i am getting too friggin old, but i still remember the 70's where we were all going to freeze to death
in an impending iceage. listen to them and you would be out sprinkling carbon all over everything white and every reflective surface.

all i am saying is, we don't have anywhere near enough data to form any real conclusions
and to think we as part of this system have any control over it is the epitome of arrogance in my opinion

the only way we are going to screw up this planet on a global scale is if we light off every nuke in the arsenals

even then it is likely that 50 years later the planet will be green again, plants and animals will flourish, and maybe
there will be a few of our species to start all over again.

those that survive will not be the tree huggers, bug lovers,or burkenstock wearers

all this stress and freaking out the public about global warming is nothing more than chicken little and the sky is
falling, playing to an unthinking public that is easily convinced of an impending doom and that which can be parted
with their dollars.

for godsakes this is algore's baby, doesn't anyone see a credibility problem here?

oh ya, i forgot he invented the internet!

i guess that makes him a global climate expert?  afterall he got the nobel prize? so it has to be fact right?

good lord, have we as a people become so gullible?

i sure am glad i am on the downhill side of this journey, and not just starting out in my early 20's
i feel sorry for the younger folks that are never going to know what we have lost.

if this cap and trade/tax thing passes and they inflict this national california standards on all new construction
you guys will probably hear about some crazy old bastard that went down in a hail of gunfire as they burn me out
of my non conforming structure.

because i will build it and it will be built to my standards, and they can kiss my sagging old ass.

btw, as a parting shot
check out scientific american, they have ran a few articles on the global warming thing, and how it isn't happening
based on several hundreds of ocean temp sensors placed all over the planet

they site work form hundreds of research centers, that have tried in vain to get the word out, but
can't be heard because there is no money in it.

all the money has been placed "all in" with the global warming scam.

its late, i am tired, it is july and i am freezing my ass off here in tacoma,, guess i will go
throw another tire on the fire and go to bed.

:)

bob g

compig

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 08, 2009, 11:21:13 AM »
One of the problems with this whole issue is public perception. Climate fluctuation's are not on a human lifetime scale , so comparing weather now with that from any earlier era within living memory is not relevant. These events take hundreds if not thousands of years to propagate. So , the general population on which political will and action depend and who are predominately ignorant of even the basic science , cannot rationalise massive changes in socio economic policy when they just simply look at the year on year evidence.

Even the science community itself struggles to develop a meaningful model on which to base any political policy.

One interesting thing I saw was one of the consequences of all air traffic being grounded after 911. Daylight recorded at ground level in the USA increased noticeably. This led to the theory of 'Global Dimming'  caused by emissions from commercial aviation in the high atmosphere. This is an alternative postulation for the trapping of heat in the Earths atmosphere.

Really , does the human species have any chance of ascertaining what is actually happening , if in fact anything is , and if it is resolving itself into a global solution if in fact there is anything we can do about it ??!!

I suppose on a personal level we can all decide our action. We Lister users are making a valid effort to reduce our individual pollution but that is of minuscule consequence in the big picture.
Even if the major developed nations transformed their energy policies within a few years the developing nations which just happen to be the area's of largest human population just don't give a dump !  They just want their piece of the dream pie !
Lister A
Onan W3S Genny
Petter A1
Villiers C45 industrial

LowGear

• Casey
  • What? My diesel had fries for lunch?
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 08, 2009, 02:43:02 PM »
Now bob g,

It's 6:30 AM in Renton and it's about 55 degrees.  Is that really so revealing?  I wonder how much the climate changed during the life of Methuselah - 969 years?

Casey
NPR Tipper/Dump Truck
Kubota BX 2230
Witte BD Generator
SunnyBoy 6000 + SolarWorld 245