Puppeteer

Author Topic: Heatwave ???  (Read 30568 times)

compig

• 1953 Lister CS 6/1 SOM owner
    • View Profile
Heatwave ???
« on: July 01, 2009, 04:38:58 PM »
We're having a heatwave here in the UK , it's around 30 deg C. What constitutes a heatwave in the US ?
DON'T STEAL , THE GOVERNMENT DOESN'T LIKE COMPETITION !!!
Lister A
Onan W3S Genny
Petter A1
Villiers C45 industrial
Continental flat six powerpacket
ANOTHER Lister 6/1 CS SOM , temporarily !!!

rl71459

• View Profile
Re: Heatwave ???
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2009, 06:05:27 PM »
Thats 86 F,  My opinion... thats plenty warm! I dont know what constitutes a "heatwave" It got near that here last week!
It's not uncommon for it to get to 90+F here (Michigan) in the summer... It sometimes (very rarely) get's into the triple digits and when it does I feel that is definetly a heatwave.... Hell I dont like it when its above 80 F.

Being slightly ROTUND doesnt help matters any :-[

Rob

compig

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2009, 06:38:06 PM »
I should have said it's been 28-30 Deg C for 4 or 5 days now and is set to continue that way until Friday.  Although it is warm I personally don't think it's actually that bad. I've been in Italy and the south of France when it's been 43-44 Deg C and that IS HOT !!  Remember one time being in France riding through Orange in grid lock. I was on my Ducati 900SS with a friend on the same bike with his girlfriend on pillion. The temp was 42 Deg C according to the customary public thermometer notable in French towns. It was a struggle in one piece leathers and full face helmet but I was keeping my cool so to speak !  The traffic moved , so I went with it but noticed my friend wasn't alongside after a few hundred mtrs. Looked back and he was therestationary in the middle of all the traffic causing a commotion !!  I pulled over , parked and ran back to see what was wrong , fully expecting it to be a bike problem. Apparantly he had passed out , his girlfriend had been quick to realise the bike was going over and put her feet down , just catching it intime !!

We got him off the bike , not easy , he was 5'11" and 175 Lbs , and laid him at the side of the road , removed his helmet , unzipped his leathers etc.
Fortunately there was a store nearby so we got water and a cloth and wiped him down then put a wet cloth on his head. He came around after a few minutes wondering what had happened !  Had me and his GF worried ! Someone had called an ambulance and they insisted he was taken to hospital for a checkover. Obvious really , but they decided he had dehydrated too much and suffered heat stroke. He was told to rest for that day , not drink anything except water and make sure to drink enough water in future for the rest of our holiday. Quite an adventure that trip , I fell off on the way back but thats another story. Oh , and the bikes never missed a beat !
Lister A
Onan W3S Genny
Petter A1
Villiers C45 industrial

dieseldave

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2009, 06:39:18 PM »
  Hi! From Edmonton, Alberta, Canada.  It has gone up to 96F here on occasion. We have never hit the 100F mark.

In winter, I have witnessed -44F!   This is a 140F Spread! :o

compig

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2009, 06:48:56 PM »
- 44 is COLD !!! Is that a coldwave ??!!
Lister A
Onan W3S Genny
Petter A1
Villiers C45 industrial

Doug

• Why don't pictures ever work for me?
    • View Profile
    • Doug's Petteroid Stuff
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2009, 09:56:45 PM »
That -44 is what stiffens the Canadian spine, just don;t ask us to bend at those temps things get brittle lol.
It's a Good Life, If You Don't Weaken

compig

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2009, 10:08:26 PM »
Same goes for most things at that temp !
Lister A
Onan W3S Genny
Petter A1
Villiers C45 industrial

Wizard

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2009, 10:55:22 PM »
30C around here is considered heatwave in ontario due to humidity index.

I know Britain is cooler damp country area but at 30C with humidity, I'm sure people are melting for sure.  Heatwave for sure.

Cheers, Wizard

compig

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2009, 11:08:45 PM »
Yeah , humidity has been relatively high. The most noticable thing for me is how hot the laptop gets !!  I work from home 60-70% of the time and it's quite uncomfortable when I have to work an hour or two at a stretch on it !!  So much so that I installed a program today to find out the temperature of the processor , between 50-60 deg on each core !! The fans cut in at 60 C.
Lister A
Onan W3S Genny
Petter A1
Villiers C45 industrial

Grael

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2009, 12:24:23 AM »
We have a bit of a drought going on right now in Alberta.  :-[
GTC 8-1

"Traveling 33 RPM in an iPod world"

mbryner

• View Profile
    • Marcus & Emily's personal website
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2009, 03:11:18 AM »
It's 95 F / 35 C here in Southern Oregon today.   Low humidity though (20%).    Normal for this time of year.
JKson/Powersolutions 6/1, 7.5 kw ST head, propane canister muffler, future off-gridder

"Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." Benjamin Franklin, 1775

Stan

« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2009, 06:04:46 AM »
Very large areas of the Canadian prairies are having a 100 year drought/heat wave this year.  Came at the worst time for seed germination too.  Maybe much higher grain prices this fall.  ???
Stan

AdeV73

« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2009, 03:48:06 PM »
30c in the UK is always horribly uncomfortable due to the humidity. And the preaching of the "community leaders" (who are these mysterious community leaders anyway? I don't recall electing them?) who bang on about how we should drink lots of water, stay in the shade st all costs, never venture out into the sun unless you're wearing full arab costume plus a large sombrero preferably.  ::)

Here in Sunny España, we've had 30-ish degrees since I got here, and it's been fine (of course, having a swimming pool helps). Low 40s is typical for August here, it takes mid- to high-40s to be a heatwave. The worldwide weather on the TV has been showing between 39 and 41 for Austin, TX all week; and Kuwait was forecast to be 48 degrees today...

Sorry, I've no idea what any of those are in Farenheit...

Stan

« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2009, 03:53:52 PM »
A friend of mine just got back from Afghanistan where he suffered through 52 C temps.  He was reverse engineering IEDs.  Fortunately the bomb boys pull their teeth first :o
Stan

compig

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2009, 04:16:03 PM »
Goodwood was hot on Saturday , I know because I was there for the Festival of Speed. Biggest presence of F1 turbo cars were there since they were actually racing in the '80's , I was in heaven !
Lister A
Onan W3S Genny
Petter A1
Villiers C45 industrial