Author Topic: Lister Petter AC1 Model B Looking for a manual etc  (Read 10131 times)

Bruce GILbert

• View Profile
Lister Petter AC1 Model B Looking for a manual etc
« on: April 18, 2006, 01:26:33 PM »
Hi Everyone
I am looking for a manual for this engine as well as some advice on starting it.  I have been able to free it up and checked oil supply, fuel supply and I think tested the injector (squirts fuel?).  It didn't come with a crank so I have made one, but I am not having any success getting it started.  I am reluctant to use ether but it appears that it is used especially on cold starts.  I can crank it but soon as I hit the compression level I can't seem to get it over the first stroke except on the very first try and I get a puff of smoke so I know I am close.  Will ether solve my problem?  What is the process, just squirt a bit in on the decompression cycle then flip the lever?  All advice would be appreciated.

sid

• View Profile
Re: Lister Petter AC1 Model B Looking for a manual etc
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2006, 02:16:51 PM »
if it is not very cold where you are at it, should start on it own/ if not you have something wrong// rechech everything again//how old is it and how long has it been out of serviece//sid
15 hp fairbanks morris1932/1923 meadows mill
8 hp stover 1923
8 hp lg lister
1932 c.s bell hammer mill
4 hp witte 1917
5 hp des jardin 1926
3 hp mini petters
2hp hercules 1924
1 1/2 briggs.etc

Jim Mc

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2006, 05:02:07 PM »
Yeah, I'd avoid ether, too.  A kick back could do some bodily damage.  I have an AC2, and it likes a bit of preheating to start.  Grab a propane torch, and play it on the cooling fins near the top of the cylinder for a few minutes prior to starting.  Sticking a heat gun/hair dryer in the intake/air filter also helps.  Or again, use the torch if you're careful.

listeroidsusa

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2006, 05:12:12 AM »
You can find downloadable manuals at www.semidiesel.com. The last I heard, they were considering charging for them but it will go to a good cause, the restoration of old engines and museum upkeep.

Mike Montieth

Bruce GILbert

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2006, 10:59:31 PM »
Hi Mike

Thank you for the information on the web site I will see what they have on my engine.

Bruce

Bruce GILbert

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2006, 08:37:49 PM »
Just and update, I was able to get a few puffs of black smoke today.  I tried heating the cylinder head and the intake with a propane torch.  My biggest problem I think is trying to maintain the cranking I just run out of strenght.  Would anyone know where I could get an electric starter for this engine?  I know Petter would not have made their own starter so there has to be a place where I could buy a starter or someone that has a scrape engine that I could buy the mount from.

ronsmith

• View Profile
    • Bentleybranch studio
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2006, 07:08:39 PM »
Bruce, to mount a starter on your petter you will have to bolt on a flywheel to the existing flywheel. Then mount a starter beside it to spline with the teeth on the flywheel. i set mine up for a key start w/ battery. i have started it on a small amount of ether in cold weather. It knocks a few times then hits and takes off. check your fuel lines and make sure theres no air in them. It sounds like you are getting fuel to the head if the injector is spraying. I had to use both hands to crank while someone else thrwe the comp. lever.  :-\

Bruce GILbert

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2006, 10:39:53 PM »
Hi Everyone

Just an update I was able to get the engine running finally.  Between setting the trottle to the right spot to start and a little sniff of ether I can now get it to start quite easily.  Next is to clean her up and paint it with some original green I guess.  What kind of paint do you guys use?
Thanks to everyone for your comments and help.

Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2006, 12:46:28 PM »
One option on paint is Rust-Oleum Dark Hunter Green.
A lot of places carry Hunter Green and every other shade but the Dark Hunter Green takes a bit more searching to find.....

Joe
Nothing is easy...if it were...anybody could do it.

2005 Power Solutions  6/1-ST5

Copybell

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2006, 02:42:10 PM »
Joe,
  I use a paint called BPS (Best Paint Sold).  In Virginia it is sold in a farm store called Tractor Supply Co.  I have used many brands of paint, this is my favorite.  It is not available in the exact color I like, so I buy different colors so that I can mix my own color.

Best rgards,
Copybell
Omega brand 6/1
Fuking brand 6/1
Satyajeet brand 20/1
Mini Petter

Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2006, 01:16:05 PM »
Thanks
I'll check out TSC next time I'm there...

Joe
Nothing is easy...if it were...anybody could do it.

2005 Power Solutions  6/1-ST5

bitsnpieces1

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2006, 01:00:15 AM »
  I purchased an AC1C from Colemans Surplus (colemans.com). It has a 12vdc starter on it.  You might check with them and they might have a starter and flywheel off a burned up engine.  See their website for 1-800-  number.    Les
Lister Petter AC1, Listeroid 12/1, Briggs & Stratton ZZ, various US Mil. surplus engines. Crosley (American) 4cyl marine engine(26hp).