Author Topic: Disassembly of my 20/2 Omega  (Read 4027 times)

lowspeedlife

• old iron for a new age
  • no i'm not no cowboy
    • View Profile
Disassembly of my 20/2 Omega
« on: June 30, 2009, 02:54:15 AM »
Finally have a little time to work on the 20/2 so i started the disassembly. Started by using a set of number stamps to mark the cyclinder head & block with the corresponding number stamped on the connecting rods, the cylinder closest to the cam gear is marked 00 & farthest is marked 11. I removed head 00 & the first thing I noticed was dimpling in the copper foil of the head gasket from dirt debris stuck to the bottom of the head.

The gaskets are stamped with the VICTOR name, at least the gaskets are made by a good manufacturer.

The top of the piston has a thin coating of greasy carbon built up on it, the exhaust valve has made an impression in the carbon on top of the piston even though it is vary thin, it appears the exhaust valve on this cylinder is adjusted too tight. After wiping the carbon away, I can see small dimples in the top of the piston where something has been caught between the valve & piston crown. I took a picture but you can't see the dimpling so I see no reason to post it here.
  Measured the cylinder liner protrusion immedeately after removing the head, it measured .012 at four points, inline with & across the centerline of the crankshaft. I will check it again after removing the liner o-rings & reinserting the liner. The liner itself has almost no crosshatch pattern inside it, most likely the rings would never have seated.
  The small cooling passages on the pushrod side of the cylinder block are nearly filled with casting slag

Found a nickle sized chunk of casting sand in the cooling inlet passage , better there than in the crankcase.

Cylinder 11 was nearly identical except there was no dimpling in the top of the piston, there was however a piece of string from a rag wrapped around one of the cylinder studs. it even had casting sand in the cooling inlet port.  cylinder liner protrusion  was .015 on this liner.
Both of the con rod bearings show wiping  & the piston ring gaps are all lined up down one side of the piston. not good for compression.

It looks like the crankpins will polish up nicely.
the inside of the crankcase has a coating of fine grit covering everything, not to mention a piece of waxed string, a thread from a plastic "burlap" bag & a couple of small metal flakes. all in all the case looks pretty good , no voids or pockets of sand, & it came very clean with a washing of purple stuff de-greaser.
 the Idler gear seems to be a mess, it wobbles back & forth on the idler bolt, not sure what the issue is with it yet as I havent taken it apart yet.
 more tomorrow if I have time.
Scott R.
Scott R.

5.7 liter diesel k-5 blazer. converting to wvo.
omega 20/2 listeroid

ronmar

• View Profile
Re: Disassembly of my 20/2 Omega
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2009, 04:51:40 AM »
You think you found some sand in the cooling passages eh, wait till you press out the liners:)  I got a couple of spoonfulls out of my 6/1 cylinder casting once I pressed out the liner and started picking/scraping.  The .015" of liner protrusion could be caused by crud on the lip/shelf that the liner rests on.  The liners press out easilly with a drill press and some wood blocks.

In addition to a valve set too tight, your EX valve impression could also be caused from a decompression stop being too tall.  There was just a thread about this fairly recently.  The poster noticed movement in the rocker assembly when he cranked past TDC.  The valves were set to spec, but the decompressor was holding the valve too far open... 
PS 6/1 - ST-5.

billswan

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2009, 04:57:55 AM »
Dirt between the head and gasket, sounds like the same guy that put my 10/1 together put your 20/2 together.

The omega I have had the same problem.  >:( >:(

Better check the wrist pin bushings mine were out of speck before it was even started by the original assemblers.

Billswan
16/1 Metro  in the harness choking on WMO ash!!

10/1 OMEGA failed that nasty WMO ash ate it

By the way what is your cylinder index?

cschuerm

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2009, 02:27:19 AM »
Yup. Sounds a little worse than what I experienced, but not anything surprising....

BTW, I have decided that I need to sell my trailer-mounted generator rig.  If anyone is interested, I posted details in the "for sale" section.  Hate to part with it, but sometimes ya just gotta do stuff you don't want to.

Chris

lowspeedlife

• old iron for a new age
  • no i'm not no cowboy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2009, 04:22:15 AM »
WHAAAT !!  SELL YOUR 'ROID !! that's terrible! & such a sweet set up too! sorry to hear that. your right it could be a lot worse & i hope you'll still visit the forum Chris.  Thanks for the info & kind words ronmar & bill.
Scott R.

5.7 liter diesel k-5 blazer. converting to wvo.
omega 20/2 listeroid

cschuerm

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2009, 07:18:58 PM »
Thanks for the kind words.  I *definitely* will be hanging around the forum as time permits.  I still have an itching to build a dual generator setup with load sharing - just because it would be "cool".  For now, though, economic realities demand that I keep my attentions and finances focused on my business.  I'll be back in the slow-speed diesel game once over the hump.....

cheers,
Chris