Lister Engines > Lister Based Generators

External regulator V Governor as regulator

<< < (2/5) > >>

SHIPCHIEF:
Although frequency variations from no load to full load may vary from 62 Hz to 58 Hz, and voltage from 250 to 220, your houshold really won't be effected. Even the best mechanical 'isochronous'  governors did this to a lesser extent. It's called speed droop, and is a governor adjustment for paralleling AC generators so they can share load. The only diesel governors I have seen that have no speed droop are electronic governors. Part of the fun of these LISTEROIDS is the do it your self add ons. If you cook up a good speed control governor out of cruise control car parts from your 'free collection' and share it on this list, we would all be amused and greatful.

hotater:
All right!  Cruise control for a governor.
     I read somewhere they work off a magnetic sensor on the driveshaft and are most accurate at about 60 mph. If the Lister is too slow to allow this to work right could EXTRA magnets be placed to fool the unit into thinking there's more rpms present? I'm betting they'd have to be spaced RIGHT to work!

WWIProps:
If you want to sell power back onto the grid use an induction motor run above its synchronous speed. 

I use a 5hp Weg ODP single phase induction motor as my generator.  I removed the start circuit , the start capacitor and run capacitor from the connections. The two wires hook into a magnetic starter relay, a 40 amp breaker in my panel and out to the utility grid.  If your grid power is three phase just get a three phase induction motor which is generally cheaper and does not have capacitors or start circuits.

The magnetic starter is so if the grid power dies, my generator shuts down and does not restart or try to send power to the grid on its own. 

For a backup generator system you could come up with capacitor banks to provide excitation when the grid is disconnected.  (Haven't tried that one yet)  Or just use a second small generator hooked up in parallel with your lister.

I run a 6/1 that I set at 21 amps (1800-1835 rpm George had the pulley made). Frequency and volts follow the utility.  My system is 230volts single phase so it produces 4.8kw at this setting.  The more the engine breaks in the more I have been able to produce.  I think the higher output I am producing than guys with stand alone generators do is because I get my kVars for excitation from the grid. 

Good luck!

Scott

Gregmm:
Thanks for the info that would be an option at this point I just want to test the Lister Clone To see how reliable they are and if I can sell power back that is an added bonus.

Greg :D

Stan:
Just a reply for those who think that "mains" power is accurately transmitted.  My son lives in an upscale neighbourhood, with lots of homes  bringing prices with 6 or more zeros in them. He has been complaining his natural gas heater fan seems to dip in rpms occasionally.  I was sitting in his living room yesterday when the neighbour started using his power saw.  Every time the saw came on, the heater fan dipped significantly in speed.  I figure the neighbourhood is over populated with high draw devices and underpopulated with transformer capacity???  Don't know how to document this but would like to.  Maybe something to watch the cycles???
Stan

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version