Puppeteer

Author Topic: New to the club....  (Read 2764 times)

neco

• View Profile
New to the club....
« on: April 17, 2006, 04:43:19 PM »
Hello All,

I recently picked up a 6/1 P.S/JKSON from George B. I also got one of his Permanent Magnet Generator heads to play with.

I'm new to slow speed & Listers but not Diesel. I've got the beast uncrated and am in the process of tearing her down. It was damned hard not to start her first!

Based on what I've gathered so far, a truely stationary mount is the best course for this engine. I'm leaning toward the "common" I-Beam mount w/ bolts to conrete pad.

Any thoughts, recommendations, warnings?

Thanks,
-Colin

binnie

• View Profile
Re: New to the club....
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2006, 05:06:19 PM »
Hi Colin, and welcome to the club.
You may want to put a 3/4 " rubber cow mat, between the frame & the cement floor you bolt it to, for added dampening effect. They are cheap & available from your local Farmer's Supply Store. Worth the effort. binnie (let us know how you like the Perm Magnet gen head. I needed a 10/12 kw & Geo. only had the smaller ones at the time. Will be nice to know if you get more Kw per Hp out of it. Keep us informed. tks
Listeroid 12/2 Jkson with 10kw head, for backup now on diesel. Future interests: WVO, bio,  Cogen - Heat exchangers - solar.

solarguy

• View Profile
Re: New to the club....
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2006, 06:14:43 PM »
If you're pouring a new slab for the beast, I had good luck (the second time) by pouring the concrete into a hole that I lined with 1.5" styrofoam insulation board, the beaded kind.  It transmitted about 2/3 less vibration to the house compared to the first install where it was bolted directly to the basement slab.  Rubber mat definitely did not fix the vibration issue when bolted to the slab.

There's always a way, it just costs more...

Finest regards,

troy