Author Topic: Original 1950 Lister now running ST gen head - novel axial drive  (Read 5787 times)

Mr Lister

• View Profile
Guys,

It's been a busy weekend here.

Yesterday we got a 1948 Startomatic to run as sweet as an old clock, after recutting the valve seats and some careful lapping of the new valves.

Today was spent on my pet project - my 1950 6hp Lister driving a 3kW ST head in a novel axial drive.  We are now making juice ;-)

There is an 80 tooth pulley on the engine shaft and a 32 tooth pulley on the alternator shaft.  They are connected using a Gates polyflex GT3 belt.   I also have a 34 toothe pulley so that I can experiment to get the best speed ratio to extract the most power from the 3kW ST head.

I had to free up the sticking governor, and try a few variations of governor spring/length, but now she runs well and holds reasonably constant frequency.

Lots of experimental work still to be one,  but I have just acquired a 14hp dynamometer  - formerly belonging to the Engineering Lab at Cambridge University. I'll  need a transit van to haul that one off campus.

Looks like its going to be a summer experimenting with waste veg oil and various heat exchangers.

Latest Pictures are on my website as usual:

www.powercubes.com/listers.html     

www.powercubes.com/listers_1.html

Ken

GuyFawkes

• View Profile
    • stuff
Re: Original 1950 Lister now running ST gen head - novel axial drive
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2006, 10:22:22 PM »
They are connected using a Gates polyflex GT3 belt. 

those bitches scream, esp at high revs, some years ago a guy came to me after building a big block 440 charger with 6-71 jimmy complaining it "didn't make that mad max intercep0tor sound" so we threw away his enclosed triplex chain and fitted a toothed belt

they used to be de-rigeur as the primary on harleys too

love the sound personally
--
Original Lister CS 6/1 Start-o-matic 2.5 Kw (radiator conversion)
3Kw 130 VDC Dynamo to be added. (compressor + hyd pump)
Original Lister D, megasquirt multifuel project, compressor and truck alternator.
Current status - project / standby, Fuel, good old pump diesel.

Mr Lister

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2006, 07:16:38 PM »
Guys,

The old 1950 6/1 is now running on vegetable oil, and making juice - with it's 3kW ST head!.

Check out the latest at www.powercubes.com/listers_13.html

Ken

sb118

• Biofuel Bandit
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2006, 10:51:35 PM »
Looking good, did you have to fill the microbore with sand/salt before bending?
First love - 1975 Lister SR1, gone to a better place (running a saw bench actually ;))

True love - unknown vintage CS6/1 with SOM flywheels

linkie to the project so far --- http://jestersltd.com/pics/index.php

Lister owners do it at 650 strokes a minute ;)

Mr Lister

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2006, 12:13:23 AM »
Steve,

6mm microbore is very forgiving, it's like folding whipped eggs into a pudding. You just roll it off the reel onto the exhaust pipe and it stays put.

8mm is more of a pig  - 63mm (2.5") really is the minimum bend diameter.

Ken

Ironworks

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2006, 02:01:22 AM »
Hi Ken

Nice set up.  How hot does the oil entering the pump get?  I was talking to a guy that converted his VW to veggie and he was telling me that if the oil gets too hot it loses its lubricating properties.

akghound

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2006, 07:12:03 PM »
Hi Ken
Nice set up.  How hot does the oil entering the pump get?  I was talking to a guy that converted his VW to veggie and he was telling me that if the oil gets too hot it loses its lubricating properties.

If I remember correctly VO is good up to the 350-400*(f). I have mine at least 180* at the injector without any problems. If I run cooler them this I get carbon buildup in the engine.
Nice clean setup there Ken, are you starting and shuting down on VO? I don't think it is a very good idea to run cold VO in a cold engine. Studies have showen this to be quite damaging to the engine. Keep a close eye out for carbon buildup.
Keep up the good work
Ken Gardner
« Last Edit: April 25, 2006, 07:17:48 PM by akghound »
One Day At A Time
96 Dodge Cummins 2500 4x4 / Homebuilt WVO conversion
Listeroid Generator on WVO / Living off grid