Author Topic: High end Flashlights/torches  (Read 27795 times)

Stan

Re: High end Flashlights/torches
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2009, 05:35:33 AM »
Just remember, the light at the end of the tunnel might be you!  ::)
Stan

compig

• 1953 Lister CS 6/1 SOM owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2009, 09:33:33 AM »
Hi Stan,

Your son would, I believe, be called an enabler.

LowGear

No , he'd be called a pusher !!

Just looked on the Lightflux site, only found it through facebook !! , and the LF2XT isn't shown ?? 
DON'T STEAL , THE GOVERNMENT DOESN'T LIKE COMPETITION !!!
Lister A
Onan W3S Genny
Petter A1
Villiers C45 industrial
Continental flat six powerpacket
ANOTHER Lister 6/1 CS SOM , temporarily !!!

GuyFawkes

• View Profile
    • stuff
« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2009, 02:45:25 PM »
--
Original Lister CS 6/1 Start-o-matic 2.5 Kw (radiator conversion)
3Kw 130 VDC Dynamo to be added. (compressor + hyd pump)
Original Lister D, megasquirt multifuel project, compressor and truck alternator.
Current status - project / standby, Fuel, good old pump diesel.

Stan

« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2009, 02:56:44 PM »
Let me know when you start shining it on the moon, I'll set up the telescope and watch for it  ::)
Stan

GuyFawkes

• View Profile
    • stuff
« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2009, 03:18:39 PM »
Let me know when you start shining it on the moon, I'll set up the telescope and watch for it  ::)
Stan

If I get one, and if I point it up, look for me in Gitmo, not the moon.
--
Original Lister CS 6/1 Start-o-matic 2.5 Kw (radiator conversion)
3Kw 130 VDC Dynamo to be added. (compressor + hyd pump)
Original Lister D, megasquirt multifuel project, compressor and truck alternator.
Current status - project / standby, Fuel, good old pump diesel.

SHIPCHIEF

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2009, 05:08:55 PM »
SH*T
That's what gets me mad.
Us 'kids' used to do stuff like that all the time for fun. Now Homeland Security wants to call you a Domstic Terrorist and arrest your *ss.  >:(
Ashwamegh 25/2 & ST12
Lister SR2 10Kw 'Long Edurance' genset on a 10 gallon sump/skid,
Onan 6.5NH in an old Jeager Compressor trailer and a few CCK's

compig

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 20, 2009, 07:24:45 PM »
Seems I need to upgrade my laser to !! I only have a 5mw helium neon !! I even have a power supply for that 100w jobby  ;)
« Last Edit: June 20, 2009, 07:33:51 PM by compig »
Lister A
Onan W3S Genny
Petter A1
Villiers C45 industrial

Stan

« Reply #22 on: June 20, 2009, 07:43:17 PM »
For those interested in a really good guy who sells high end flashlights, with great customer service, this is his company.  http://www.shiningbeam.com/servlet/StoreFront  When you email him his name is Bryan.  Tell him Stan from Kimberley sent you.  ;D

His shipping charges are only a couple of bucks or so.

I've no financial connection to him other than being a very satisfied customer.
Stan

Doug

• Why don't pictures ever work for me?
    • View Profile
    • Doug's Petteroid Stuff
« Reply #23 on: June 21, 2009, 04:01:45 AM »
In th defence of the mighty 237.

Yes its boaring to watch the old gilrl preheat in sub zero conditions.....
Its not very impressive on my camera.....
You spent several minnuts watching.....

I can blind you with that lantern lol.
It can heat my home.

It will stomach everything from camping fuel to pump diesel with a special fondness for unleaded gas and paint thinnerl. 1930s Canadian technology at its finest.

So what will you do when the furnace is cold and the batteries have run out :)

Hey and you know what else?
These are using crap modern mantles.
I have since switch back to Thorium ( my lamps glowe in the dark fuel or not ) . The light output has easily doubled again to pre 1980s levels.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2009, 04:06:42 AM by Doug »
It's a Good Life, If You Don't Weaken

Stan

« Reply #24 on: June 21, 2009, 04:17:20 AM »
You use your extra set of batteries (one set will last continuously for a week on low power) until the sun shines and then you use solar power to recharge both sets.

LED high end lights don't burn down your house cause they don't explode on you!  ;D
Stan

SHIPCHIEF

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 21, 2009, 04:47:01 AM »
doug has a point:
The Kerosene lantern can burn safely in your home, where a coleman gas lantern cannot, nor with unleaded car gas.
You can even cook over one if you make a grill to set over the lantern. That Brytlite (sp?) lantern even sell such a top heavy adapter.
I've been playing with the butane mix mini lantern; the Coleman Xcursion. I breifly had the Brunton Glorb, but the darned thing quit working within hours of getting it out of the box.  ??? It was a much nicer concept tho- dang.
FLashlights, Coleman gas, multifuel, Propane, Butane, Kerosene, Shaker, windup, Solar powered with and Emergency radio; What's not to like?
Ashwamegh 25/2 & ST12
Lister SR2 10Kw 'Long Edurance' genset on a 10 gallon sump/skid,
Onan 6.5NH in an old Jeager Compressor trailer and a few CCK's

Bluecometk

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 21, 2009, 05:09:05 AM »
I'm with DOUG.I will take 75+ year old technology. A 237 will light half the house, heat a room or two, cook my food and burn all night on a couple oz of fuel. A bonus is when you light one up your kids will come running.

You guys should ashamed of your selves with this talk of modern technology ;)
Bluecometk

Yanmar 10 hp LA-100 DIY genset
2 MTU 2000 V12's
12 KW 4cyl Kolor Genset
35 KW  4cyl  Cumins Genset
3 cyl  Volvo  bow thruster
Onan DJB 6.0 genset
Waiting for a proven Redstone

Grael

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 21, 2009, 06:32:42 AM »
What you need is one of those flashlights that take one of those big 6v dry cell batteries that you need to screw to the base. The advantage of that one is that it can also be used as a dandy bludgeoning device.  :D

I can still remember being about 5 and filling the Coleman lantern with naphtha, pumping it up and lighting it. Loved the spitting noise at first, then the poof and flames out the top for a few seconds. Good times. Oh, and why were the early mantles radioactive? ??? That don't seen very sane to me. I do know they had Thorium in them, just WHY something radioactive? ::)
GTC 8-1

"Traveling 33 RPM in an iPod world"

compig

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 21, 2009, 09:53:27 AM »

So what will you do when the furnace is cold and the batteries have run out :)

The Lister will fire itself up !!  ;-)
Lister A
Onan W3S Genny
Petter A1
Villiers C45 industrial

Doug

• Why don't pictures ever work for me?
    • View Profile
    • Doug's Petteroid Stuff
« Reply #29 on: June 21, 2009, 04:15:40 PM »
thorium glow whiter that modern stuff. the Radioactivity hsa nothing to do with it howver.

Its just an all around better material for mantles but its gone out of style here. They are still made over seas and I have a source ( Amish fellow ) who sell only premium parts and throium mantles.

Properly tuned lanterns don't stink, lanterns in good order do not explode ( or bad ones for that matter never seen one explode ).

http://s426.photobucket.com/albums/pp344/Dougwp/?action=view&current=100_9127.jpg

Kerosene is a safer fuel to use indors but as you cansee in this picture some table lamos were made that were gasoline fired like this for indoor use. Yes thats a table lamp that burns gasoline guys.....

DANGER

That " Brytlite " is a bad lantern putting gasoline in it is risky it was never designed for it, can;t be tuned to to burn properly on it and has a design weakness that could result in a leak and fire ball. NEVER EVER use gasoline in a Petromax style lantern. If they weep a little fuel from the pump as often happens and its kerosene its a just a mess,if its gasoline it is an accident. Thats and the Brylite is a cheap Chinese peice of crap.

The 237 however was designed at Coleman's Toronto factory in the 1930s and started life a as gasoline lantern ( the 236 Major and it was actualy a pump up version of the american designed 242 series )  later addpted to gasoline it has built in safety featurs that the Eroupean kerosene lanterns never had built into them like the double safety of a check vlave inthe pump and a possitive looking air stem to ensure no leaks. All parts are furnace brazed not soldered and no lead seals are used.

Another word of warning in the early 1970s Canadian Coleman designed a new series of lanterns to replace the older 242 and 236 all that brass and cast part/machining was getting to expensive so the all stamped steel two post was born. One of the places they trued to improve things was the the use of O rings to seal the valve.

This was the 321 series, and the O rings failed . All modern Coleman products evolved from the 321 and leasons learned. Do if you have a 321 or any of the early ones stop using them and have the valve rebuilt before you have an accident AND make sure the heat shield is in place to keep the heat off that valve

Right now and for how long no ones knows you can still buy a few good Coleman lanterns the 639B for example is the best kerosene they make. But if you look closely you see the Canadian style 2 post burner frame and the nig buldge globe from its 236 cousin.
But its not a 237.........

Oh ya best stove toss up between the 530 pocket stove and the 500 speedmaster. I like the Canadian speed master myself because it will also burn just about any clean gasoline ( non lead ) and Kerosene with realy good heta and flame control. The 530 pocket stove is a civilian version of the US army GI stove from WW2 and it will burn any gasolline leaded or white ( but not kerosene ) and its light and very easy to carry on a hike.
There are modern stoves but they suck ( exception expensive premium stoves MRS stoves and anything made in Eroupe ).....

Here's more cool pictures
http://s426.photobucket.com/albums/pp344/Dougwp/Coleman%20stuff/
It's a Good Life, If You Don't Weaken