Puppeteer

Author Topic: High end Flashlights/torches  (Read 27910 times)

t19

• Tanks and Lister... Heavy Metal
    • View Profile
Re: High end Flashlights/torches
« Reply #45 on: June 22, 2009, 05:30:19 PM »
Get one of those Camping lights that you wear like a coal miner... or get one of those led lites that clip to the peah of your baseball cap... those work great... unless your into rap, then the light is shinning on your bum LOL
There is plenty of room for all of Gods creatures... right next to the mashed potatoes...

compig

• 1953 Lister CS 6/1 SOM owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 22, 2009, 05:37:54 PM »

What I want is a light that I can clip, hang, stick magnetically, or otherwise fasten to something and leave it on so I can use both hands for work.
Stan

The one I have has a magnet and clip / stand but they never seem to work on any of the area's that you need it to !!  Who the heck designs these things anyway ? It's totally obvious they have never been under a car or under the bonnet !!
DON'T STEAL , THE GOVERNMENT DOESN'T LIKE COMPETITION !!!
Lister A
Onan W3S Genny
Petter A1
Villiers C45 industrial
Continental flat six powerpacket
ANOTHER Lister 6/1 CS SOM , temporarily !!!

Stan

« Reply #47 on: June 22, 2009, 09:26:03 PM »
Andrew, I've actually got one of the little head lights and it works perfectly, except when you are working on an aircooled VW van.  Then you smash your headlamp on several things in a given hour, either breaking the headlamp or leaving an impression in your bald head which lasts for days.  People looked at me funny every time I did it.  Not that they don't look at me funny normally, but this was a different funny.  :-[
Stan

SteveU.

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 22, 2009, 10:29:00 PM »
". . . . never been under a car or under the bonnet (hood) !!"  I'll say! Or done under dash work when you are upside down on your shoulders with your feet propped up in the air on the door frame trying to sort out an electrical problem with one hand.
As an a working flat rate paid auto tech here is what I evolved into:
1) A 2 AAA cell Minimag/Brinkman light with a plastic end cap. Use your teeth and mouth to hold and aim. Bright enough. Pocket clip-able so it was always there. Good battery life, only fair life on the bulbs. Have 2-3 availabe at any time and swap out and relamp later. Even TSA checkable. Only $9.00 - 13.00 USD each.
2) An aim-able head band light with a three AA cell battery pac on the back  with  1 to 3 of the newest Luxiun (sp) LED elements had the best conbo of lighting, durability, weight balance and front compactness. Technology still evolving, with careful selection each newest one was better than the last. The previous model gets put in a seasonal coat pocket or travel bag. Can use hand held or wadded in place as a hands free - my underdash favorite. Also TSA checkable. $15.00 - $35.00 USD.
3) A 3 C cell PLASTIC/Rubber body waterproof standard bulb stick form flash light . Bright enough without being blinding for area work. Light enough and tacky enough to jam up in to  stay in place and still be pocketable. With the standard cool bulb and lighter weight when dropped uaaually saves the bulb and unlike a D cell/metal bodied flashlight does not always smash the spring and contacts damaged. Much more unlikely to ever scratch expensive paint work. Plastic and rubber bodied will not short out a battery or electrical circuit - seen that. Plastic/rubber bodied and water proofed will not ignite gasoline fuel vapors when dropped on concrete.  Now a days in any 3 - 15 man shop there is always an dropped down opened up fuel tank for an in tank fuel pump change or an inline fuel filter change, or fuel injector service going on. I knew two guys burnt, maimed and living with the nick names "Crispy".  One from a dropped popped AC trouble/work light (burnt his shop to the ground too), the other from a dropped wrench. I have stood in a pool of gasoline flames myself from a neighboring techs "oops".
Buy this one cheap. So when the plastic lens etches with carb/injector/brake clean spray, you forget it jummed up in there someware and it rolls out the door and goes by-by you wont feel so $$bad$$. Learned to only spend $5.00 - 15.00 on this one.
Of the probably hundred flashlights bought and tried for auto work all the others;  tied up one hand; took expensive AAAA, cr132, lamp module consumables; were too big, so set aside and not THERE when needed; or too unsafe to be in an area with gasoline vapors.
All my own opinions
SteveU.
Use it up. Wear it out. Make Do, or Do Without.
 Electrodyne 12vdc. AC MeccAlte 8.5kw
John Deere 950 w/Yammar 3cyl IDI; Peterson 21" sawmill w/20hp Kohler v-twin; four Stilh chainsaws,  Stilh weedeaters; various Kohler, Onan, Honda, Briggs, Tecumseh singles.

Stan

« Reply #49 on: June 22, 2009, 11:06:42 PM »
Great advice Steve.....Now you've got me wondering, this little gem uses one AA, puts out 3 different levels of light.  Is a "floody" meaning it doesn't have a bright spot, instead a wide wash of low, medium and very bright light.  Lasts a long time on one cell.  Is small enough to put in a jeans pocket and is VERY light.  The only downside is the cost.

http://www.zebralight.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=188

Stan

LowGear

• Casey
  • What? My diesel had fries for lunch?
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 23, 2009, 12:13:30 AM »
I guess it's time to confess the bitter truth.  I have an apartment that I use about three months of the year.  It was my room in the 10th and 11th grade.  So I painted it flat black.  Walls and Ceiling.  I knew why other people didn't do this when I couldn't find the roller pan on the floor.  Wow, does it get dark in there and then the sun goes down.   :o

I was shoping at the greatest hardware store in the world and there was a flashlight setting as a tripod on the electrical sales desk for only $29.95.  They use AA batteries.  I say "they" because it's actually three LED lights that fit together and make one bright light with the advantage of a tripod so you can point them at something.  You can transform them into three hand held lights.  It's a Stanley 3 in 1 LED.  I see them on EBay for a little less.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Stanley-95-155-3-in-1-Tripod-LED-Flashlight_W0QQitemZ320386542189QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item4a9886aa6d&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=65%3A1%7C66%3A2%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318%7C301%3A1%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A50

I feel so much cleaner now.

Casey
« Last Edit: June 24, 2009, 03:32:45 AM by LowGear »
NPR Tipper/Dump Truck
Kubota BX 2230
Witte BD Generator
SunnyBoy 6000 + SolarWorld 245

Stan

« Reply #51 on: June 23, 2009, 05:16:11 AM »
Ahhhh Casey.....
Resistance is futile, you will be assimilated  ;D
Stan

Doug

• Why don't pictures ever work for me?
    • View Profile
    • Doug's Petteroid Stuff
« Reply #52 on: June 23, 2009, 05:27:52 PM »
Get one of those Camping lights that you wear like a coal miner... or get one of those led lites that clip to the peah of your baseball cap... those work great... unless your into rap, then the light is shinning on your bum LOL

YUCK!!!!
Hey Andrew I spend so much time in the dark I often reach for a cap lamp thats not hanging around my neck at home. To me a cap lamp is like a reminder of the rocks I am going to be chained to for a significant time yet to come lol.....
It's a Good Life, If You Don't Weaken

Doug

• View Profile
    • Doug's Petteroid Stuff
« Reply #53 on: June 23, 2009, 05:29:23 PM »
I just realized I have an electrical Albatros hanging around my neck, no wonder I like gas light

Stan

« Reply #54 on: June 23, 2009, 05:56:15 PM »
Hey Doug.....Do you have any Carbide lamps?
Stan

SHIPCHIEF

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 23, 2009, 09:02:24 PM »
Carbide Lamps?
When I was a Boy Scout, my dad gave us boys carbide lamps. REI co-op used to sell carbide in green 1 pound cans.
Lots of fun, and good for starting a campfire when your matches are wet!
Ashwamegh 25/2 & ST12
Lister SR2 10Kw 'Long Edurance' genset on a 10 gallon sump/skid,
Onan 6.5NH in an old Jeager Compressor trailer and a few CCK's

Doug

• View Profile
    • Doug's Petteroid Stuff
« Reply #56 on: June 23, 2009, 11:14:00 PM »
Nope no carbide lamps just not my thing I am afraid lol

Doug

• View Profile
    • Doug's Petteroid Stuff
« Reply #57 on: June 23, 2009, 11:30:04 PM »
I never get tired of highlighting this lantern.

This is the listeroid of lanterns. Think about it.

I am amazed he sugests mufler cement to seal up fuel system thread and gasoline as fuel.....
I mean just for starters you need to tune a lantern so some extent to run clean on one fuel or the other unless you want a stink of rich kerosene or the nervous flicker of lean gas. The jack of all trades I tip in the Canadian 237 sometimes has anodor on kerosene so I runa V tip for that fuel and the R tip on gas. Just .001 of an inch can make a huge difference in performance.

A real petromax can be had on Ebay for a little more. other quality lanterns can be had for the same price. Cheap Indian and chinese lanterns can be had for a lot less but like the man sys get your mufler cement out, your going to need it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wMeSHnNc3jU&feature=related