Puppeteer

Author Topic: High end Flashlights/torches  (Read 27909 times)

mobile_bob

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: High end Flashlights/torches
« Reply #30 on: June 21, 2009, 05:27:48 PM »
as for flashlights

i came across a small metal light similar in construction to a maglite, that holds 4 AAA batteries
and has several led's in it, it has its pushbutton switch on the side and not the bottom which is a huge plus

you can stand it on its end and it will light up things pretty well

runs about 160hrs on a set of batteries,

i use the hell out of it under trucks at night, just enough light to see what i am doing
could be brighter, but i am not complaining

nice to have around the house when the power is out to, sits on the lavatory pointing up so you can see to go to the
bathroom

gave about 20 bucks for it and find it to be a nice unit, it is about 4 inches long an maybe 1.25 inches in diameter.

bob g
otherpower.com, microcogen.info, practicalmachinist.com
(useful forums), utterpower.com for all sorts of diy info

ronmar

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 21, 2009, 06:26:38 PM »
Oh ya best stove toss up between the 530 pocket stove and the 500 speedmaster. I like the Canadian speed master myself because it will also burn just about any clean gasoline ( non lead ) and Kerosene with realy good heta and flame control. The 530 pocket stove is a civilian version of the US army GI stove from WW2 and it will burn any gasolline leaded or white ( but not kerosene ) and its light and very easy to carry on a hike.
There are modern stoves but they suck ( exception expensive premium stoves MRS stoves and anything made in Eroupe ).....

Doug
   I have an old 530, I bought as a kid at a neighbors garage sale.  It was a veteran then, and it is still going strong.  That first lantern video you linked to, down on the right, there was a 530 vid, so I thought I would watch that also. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bUH_Nh0Yi6c&feature=channel 
The 530 was always a little trickey to light.  In that vid, the first thing the guy does is add a preheat cup that slides down over the generator.  Squirts in a little alcohol and lights it.  1 minute later, it is cranking out a nice blue flame...  I am going to have to get or make one of those cups...  I also have a little Svea 123.  It still amazes me how small and lightweight that stove is for what it does.

Back to topic, I bought a little single AA flashlight last year marketed by Gerber.  It is called a firecracker.  Well built, runs a long time and is small enough to fit in my pocket, so I always have it.  I have been using it nearly daily at work and around home for almost a year now.  Hands down the best $20 I ever spent on a flashlight.  I have surefires and streamlights and they are all excellent lights, but they either take expensive batteries, or are too large to carry all the time. 
http://www.gerbergear.com/index.php/product/id/260
PS 6/1 - ST-5.

lgsracer

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 21, 2009, 07:26:39 PM »
If you don't like to have pump up your lantern you can still get an Aladdin Mantel Lamp

video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AiDT-p4Cmug

still in production:

http://www.aladdinlamps.com/store/dynamicIndex.asp

or if you like to walk around carbide lamps are still made:

http://www.lehmans.com/store/Lamps___Lights___Carbide_Lamp___Carbide_Lamp___1004865?Args=

video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TMguFRdZvDo

lgsracer

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 21, 2009, 11:11:43 PM »
It seems to me that all the LED lights are using odd batteries or are tiny.
Can anyone recommend a flashlight that just uses ordinary batteries, maybe 2 or 3 C or D size cells.
Something that is sized like a normal flashlight instead of tiny, lasts a long time and produces maybe to or three times the light of a normal flashlight (I don't know how that translates to lumens) ?
Something that is maybe $50 max ?

Jens

Here you go:

Rayovac Sportsman Xtreme 4W LED 3C Flashlight- RAYSE4W3C

his Rayovac rugged Xtreme Sportsman high performance flashlight is water resistant, includes an ultra bright 4W Luxeon LED, yields an amazing 150 lumens and has 100 hours of run time. This Rayovac Sportsman Xtreme flashlight design features a rubber comfort grip and sleek titanium color. Powered by 3 C batteries.

On Sale $26.99

http://www.rayovacdirect.com/p-37060-rayovac-sportsman-xtreme-4w-led-3c-flashlight-rayse4w3c.aspx

M61hops

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 21, 2009, 11:43:36 PM »
I use the old first edition Makita 9 volt flashlight almost everyday at work and I'm still happy with it after using it for more than 15 years.  I've tried the ones with the flexible head but they didn't last and I didn't like the way it felt in my hand either.  I've had another flashlight for about a year that might replace my Makita; it's called a Mega-Bright and has 3 LED's a rechargeable lithium battery, a solar panel and a hand crank that will charge the battery if you didn't leave the flashlight exposed to light while stored.  It's small enough to carry in a pocket and seems well made, I got it at a chain store that sold household goods for $10  ;D .  If I leave it on the dashboard or seat of my van it gets enough light to where it's always ready to use and puts out enough light for my needs.  The only drawback is that since it needs to be exposed to light to charge I'm afraid that someday somebody will snag it off my dash since I seldom lock my van.  It's remained mine for over a year so far and I'd only lose $10 if it goes missing, so I'm happy with it so far!  The switch on my Makita is just about shot so when it quits I will use the little recharging LED one exclusively.       Leland
I pray everyday giving thanks that I have one of the "fun" mental disorders!

sid

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 22, 2009, 01:12:19 AM »
it seems that we all have a lot in common/sid
15 hp fairbanks morris1932/1923 meadows mill
8 hp stover 1923
8 hp lg lister
1932 c.s bell hammer mill
4 hp witte 1917
5 hp des jardin 1926
3 hp mini petters
2hp hercules 1924
1 1/2 briggs.etc

ronmar

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 22, 2009, 01:37:50 AM »
Jens
   I have converted some of my Mag lights to LED.  They work great and are plenty bright.  The best part is that the LED uses so little current, even old and especially cold alkaline batteries still yield an oh-my-gosh bright light.  I hate grabbing a cold, flashlight with a dull yellow beam when I have to go out in the winter.   There are retrofit bulb/reflector kits for ALL the maglight series.  On the two minimag's I keep in the vehicles, I have 1W LED's and pushbutton endcap switch that has 5 settings.  High, Med, Low, slow flash, and fast flash.  These came in a kit with the LED, new reflector and endcap switch.   
PS 6/1 - ST-5.

Doug

• Why don't pictures ever work for me?
    • View Profile
    • Doug's Petteroid Stuff
« Reply #37 on: June 22, 2009, 02:40:16 AM »

Doug
   I have an old 530, I bought as a kid at a neighbors garage sale.  It was a veteran then, and it is still going strong.  That first lantern video you linked to, down on the right, there was a 530 vid, so I thought I would watch that also. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bUH_Nh0Yi6c&feature=channel 
The 530 was always a little trickey to light.  In that vid, the first thing the guy does is add a preheat cup that slides down over the generator.  Squirts in a little alcohol and lights it.  1 minute later, it is cranking out a nice blue flame...  I am going to have to get or make one of those cups...  I also have a little Svea 123.  It still amazes me how small and lightweight that stove is for what it does.

Thats one of my 530s the preheat cup is not a Coleman part I made it myself. I even make Generators now for some of these since many parts a no longer made.

Tip:
The gas "+" tips for your 530 and the gen are no longer available, but the gas tip off and army surplus M1950 stove ( made up untill 1990 ) will fit. Check Ebay I would buy one since this part will become scarce soon
It's a Good Life, If You Don't Weaken

Stan

« Reply #38 on: June 22, 2009, 03:03:34 AM »
Jens, if you can find a 2 or 3 cell maglight at a second hand store or garage sale, (I have found 2 of them for less than $2 in the last year) you can get a TLE-6EXB Terralux ministar 5 SSC P4 "drop in" LED and reflector for it for less than $20 US on ebay.  It makes a good solid light, long lasting batteries, very bright beam.  A great retrofit.  I have 2.

The Terralux drop in units also come for the AA maglights, and the AAA maglights.  The tailswitch that converts them to the 5 mode operation in the AA version that Ronmar is referring to is called an IQ switch.  A simple google will let you find one for around $10.
Stan

Doug

• Why don't pictures ever work for me?
    • View Profile
    • Doug's Petteroid Stuff
« Reply #39 on: June 22, 2009, 03:10:26 AM »
But no fire comes out of it Stan ( Stan the man from Stanistan.... ).

How do you light a Cigar on an LED flash light?

That's like totaly not any good to me man lol.
It's a Good Life, If You Don't Weaken

Stan

« Reply #40 on: June 22, 2009, 04:18:07 AM »
You light a cigar with a burning brand from the fire pit, of course.  What, you live in a house?
Stan

compig

• 1953 Lister CS 6/1 SOM owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 22, 2009, 10:03:09 AM »
Stan , any tips for a good ,reasonably priced LED work light for shop use on cars etc ?  The ones available in the UK are very expensive for what they are !
DON'T STEAL , THE GOVERNMENT DOESN'T LIKE COMPETITION !!!
Lister A
Onan W3S Genny
Petter A1
Villiers C45 industrial
Continental flat six powerpacket
ANOTHER Lister 6/1 CS SOM , temporarily !!!

Stan

« Reply #42 on: June 22, 2009, 02:55:43 PM »
I've tried 2 or 3 LED worklights, including the battery powered ones and have been very disappointed in all of them.  The most I've gotten out of them is a couple of weeks longevity and some high end leds as parts for future projects.

I'd go for a "plastic"  (polycarbonate?)  bodied light maybe like this             http://www.pelican.com/lights_detail.php?recordID=2410PL
It's a 4AA light and fairly long lasting.  I should be pretty sturdy as work lights get dropped a lot.  Don't know what it would cost across the pond?

Maybe others have some ideas.  I've broken uncounted numbers of regular light bulbs in work lights, usually with a bright flash that can't be good if there are any explosive vapours in the air.

Stan

compig

• 1953 Lister CS 6/1 SOM owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 22, 2009, 03:36:26 PM »
I agree , flashlight type's are hopeless for workshop use. These are the sort of thing I'm using at the moment , http://www.ringautomotive.co.uk/product_list.asp?cat1=4&cat2=3&cat3=62 ,
I have type RIL 2750  , retails at about $90 US which I think is pricey !!
Good light though.
DON'T STEAL , THE GOVERNMENT DOESN'T LIKE COMPETITION !!!
Lister A
Onan W3S Genny
Petter A1
Villiers C45 industrial
Continental flat six powerpacket
ANOTHER Lister 6/1 CS SOM , temporarily !!!

Stan

« Reply #44 on: June 22, 2009, 05:25:59 PM »
That looks like one of the one's I bought, but it doesn't have a constant on switch.  You have to press and hold the button in to keep the light on and there is a warning not to leave it on for more than a few minutes.

What I want is a light that I can clip, hang, stick magnetically, or otherwise fasten to something and leave it on so I can use both hands for work.
Stan