Author Topic: New to me Lister air cooled gen set  (Read 5947 times)

Peter C.

• View Profile
New to me Lister air cooled gen set
« on: May 11, 2009, 04:46:42 AM »
Well, I went and did it. As some of you may recall, I asked about parts for a 70's version lister gen sets.... Well...I went and got one!!!
Yes, I'm happy ;D I'm think it was a smoking deal :o
Same style as engine / generator posted in the "sale" section, "Lister on ebay..." .
It's a 15Kw with a 21HP engine. If it where 3 phase I would have gotten exactly what I wanted...
Its going to need a little TLC though...
I will post pics and questions in the next few days. I'm going to pick it up Monday!!!
Any ideas on part and manuals available in California? I've seen the Lister web site for dealers in Bakersfield... I'm in the Sierra Foothills outside Sacramanto.
This one is not a runner as of yet but I'm thinking a clean out of the fuel system (fuel pump, jets, filter if it has one, etc.) may fix this. This unit will become stationary, so I will be putting a bigger muffler on it. Also, any other suggestions for making it quieter will be welcome :) Its air cooled so a dog house will be trickier...

I'm also going to need a manual. From what I've found so far, I believe its a TR3 engine.

« Last Edit: May 11, 2009, 06:24:31 AM by Peter C. »

Peter C.

• View Profile
Re: New to me Lister air cooled gen set
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2009, 03:29:14 AM »
UPDATE
Well I got my gen set home today.... It didn't start when I was inspecting it at the auction so I was a little Concerned ::)

Got it in the shop, hooked it up to the truck so I could jump start it and began to fiddle... I figured the fuel pump was bad so I began there. OK, It pumps fuel, good!! Now, I bleed out the system and try starting again... Ahh, smoke :) ok, it was a fuel issue... Fiddle some more. Try to start again. I got one cylender to fire ;D

Now is when I realy begin to like this engine. It is simple, simple, simple!

I open the bleaders for the injectors while it is running on the one cylender and  low and behold, #2 starts to fire, so I try #3 and it fires off too!!!

While I have the insection/cover plates off, I look at the overall condition and muck buildup... Basicly, there isn't any to speek of! AND the oil is clean!!! Running about 40 PSI (last service was October of '05) I'm beginning to think this thing has seen little use in the last several years...

After adjusting the valves and RPM's so it produces about 120 Volts, this little gem purrs like a kitten.

Tom

• Green power is good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2009, 05:02:10 AM »
Congratulations on your find!
Tom
2004 Ashwamegh 6/1 #217 - ST5 just over 3k hours.

wrightkiller

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2009, 12:29:18 PM »
What no pictures? ;D

Peter C.

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2009, 05:02:32 PM »
 ;DPictures this evening ;D

Aloris-
These babies are a tank!!! Tows like a dream (I forgot it was there)...Just don't back over it as IT WILL cause considerable damage!

Peter C.

• View Profile
Re: New to me Lister air cooled gen set *Pictures*
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2009, 04:08:44 PM »
What you have all been waiting for ;D
Sorry, can't figure out how to up load images. HEEEELP!!!

lowspeedlife

• old iron for a new age
  • no i'm not no cowboy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2009, 08:13:36 PM »
Peter, the easiest way is to load them to the lister engine gallery,a gallery that one of our fellow members hosts for us. the link is at the top left of the main page. then follow the instructions in the general catagory, in the sixth post down from the top listed as "posting an image" to insert the image into your post.

scott
Scott R.

5.7 liter diesel k-5 blazer. converting to wvo.
omega 20/2 listeroid

wrightkiller

• View Profile

Peter C.

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2009, 06:22:10 PM »
OK!
Photos in the Gallery under Peter Clark

When your looking at the Governor and fuel shut off detail, let me know what parts are missing for the fuel shut off, as I'm sure this is not how it was intended to work...
Thanks guys!!!

meco3hp

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2009, 06:32:16 PM »
Hello,
       Since your going to take that engine/gen set off of that trailer you could recoup some of your cost, by decking that trailer and putting sides on it and selling it as a utility trailer! Or it'd be added value to you as a utility trailer for going around with barrels and collecting waste oil for that engine!!! ;) ;D

Thanks!
Richard
You say, "It can't be done!" I say, "Just hide and watch!"

Lister-Blackstone CD