Author Topic: Replaced our tiller. I think other listeroid types will approve.  (Read 17124 times)

clytle374

• View Profile
I don't have pictures yet so I'm linking the http://raleigh.craigslist.org/grd/1187569345.html Craigslist ad for the one I bought until I can get some day time pictures tomorrow.   And the companies website.http://www.bcs-america.com/what.cqs  Since new ones are well out of my price range I got an old one.

Tuesday started like every other day you plan to fight the endless war against weeds.  Take the 20 year old Montgomery Wards tiller and try get it to run, I have looked repeatedly for a new tiller but was never impressed.  We have a lot of garden, actually 5 of them.  While we till with a tractor mounted tiller in the spring and fall, you need something that will get between the rows during growing season.   RIP old tiller.

The reason I decided to share with everyone here is the design of these 'tractors', that is what the manufacture calls them.   And I tend to agree.  The motor bolts to the front directly to the bell housing.  The transmission is the chassis, just like a big tractor but with only two wheels sticking out.  Implements bolt to and run off the PTO end of the iron chassis.  On things like a sickle bar that need to be ahead of the tractor, you reverse the handles and the PTO is in front.  In rear PTO mode: 3 gears forward and one reverse. In front PTO mode: 1 forward and 1 reverse.  The more expensive and newer ones have more gears and features, but none have belts or chains. 

Just thought others might find this neat, and I had to share my new toy. 

Night time picture.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2009, 06:18:46 AM by clytle374 »

Dail R H

• View Profile
Re: Replaced our tiller. I think other listeroid types will approve.
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2009, 03:06:39 AM »
   I've used them in a comercial application. They'll eat the world famous "Troy Builts" for lunch. Real work equipement. If they haven't cheapened them

clytle374

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2009, 02:07:06 PM »
The warranty is pretty serious on the new ones. Anything oil touches, including seals, for life.

But if they did cheapen them, it's a good thing I could only afford an old one.  This is a pre1995 model.

wrightkiller

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2009, 02:36:52 PM »
Look's to be in good shape Cory ...So are you going to put up some pictures soon, and tell how much you stole it for  ;D ;D ;)

AHHHHHH  the toys the toys...........   got to have them........
« Last Edit: June 06, 2009, 02:39:20 PM by wrightkiller »

lowspeedlife

• old iron for a new age
  • no i'm not no cowboy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2009, 03:46:20 PM »
NICE TRACTOR! But.... isin't it supposed to have a Changfa hangin' off the front of it?  LOL. The prices are up there, but its really nice stuff.

Scott
Scott R.

5.7 liter diesel k-5 blazer. converting to wvo.
omega 20/2 listeroid

SteveU.

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2009, 05:26:58 PM »
I am so envious!!
15 months ago I had listed out all of the equipment needs if we were to retain the forty acre stump field and go back into the cow or maybe the goat business. 7 acres was hayable and I layed out the equipment based on the BCS ( with the diesel) to mow, rake and bail to hay that little patch. Fencing costs are what sunk that idea.
When for and retained the 20 acre wood lot instead and bought a mill,  a truck, upgraded two of the chainsaws. We grow trees better in my little rain valley anyhow.

For a US independent supplier of BCS equipment, new and used, parts and accessories (the mower, flay rake, minibaler, ect) look here at this Kentucky company:
http://www.earthtoolsbcs.com/
They sell a line of high quality forged steel hand tools too.

You can now sucker the young folk into helping you with the inducement of having this multi-generational equipment willed to them.

Regards
SteveU.
Use it up. Wear it out. Make Do, or Do Without.
 Electrodyne 12vdc. AC MeccAlte 8.5kw
John Deere 950 w/Yammar 3cyl IDI; Peterson 21" sawmill w/20hp Kohler v-twin; four Stilh chainsaws,  Stilh weedeaters; various Kohler, Onan, Honda, Briggs, Tecumseh singles.

lowspeedlife

• old iron for a new age
  • no i'm not no cowboy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2009, 06:28:52 PM »
Earth tools seems to have even better info on these tractors than the BCS site. they have another type, the Grillo tractor & both have optional diesel engines standard is the Lombardini italian diesel, nice for a high speed engine, or an optional Yanmar. Nice indeed.

Scott
Scott R.

omega 20/2 listeroid

clytle374

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2009, 12:54:08 AM »

And the brush bar. Not sure how much brush it will cut, but the teeth are not quite like a sickle.

I am so envious!!
15 months ago I had listed out all of the equipment needs if we were to retain the forty acre stump field and go back into the cow or maybe the goat business. 7 acres was hayable and I layed out the equipment based on the BCS ( with the diesel) to mow, rake and bail to hay that little patch. Fencing costs are what sunk that idea.
When for and retained the 20 acre wood lot instead and bought a mill,  a truck, upgraded two of the chainsaws. We grow trees better in my little rain valley anyhow.

For a US independent supplier of BCS equipment, new and used, parts and accessories (the mower, flay rake, minibaler, ect) look here at this Kentucky company:
http://www.earthtoolsbcs.com/
They sell a line of high quality forged steel hand tools too.

You can now sucker the young folk into helping you with the inducement of having this multi-generational equipment willed to them.

Regards
SteveU.

Very handy site, thanks.  I need a baler badly, but the $9200 price tag is well beyond my means.

NICE TRACTOR! But.... isin't it supposed to have a Changfa hangin' off the front of it?  LOL. The prices are up there, but its really nice stuff.

Scott

I wish it was a diesel.  I know it can be converted.  It originally had a 6 hp Acme engine that threw the rod through the block.   The previous guy put a 11hp Briggs industrial engine on it, I called a repair shop and they said it would take the extra hp.  The conversion required an adapter and new clutch, so I need to find out if by chance a diesel would fit it.  But that is a future project$$

Look's to be in good shape Cory ...So are you going to put up some pictures soon, and tell how much you stole it for  ;D ;D ;)

AHHHHHH  the toys the toys...........   got to have them........

Here are the pics.  Got it with tiller and brush bar for $700.  The guy was surprised I drove ~6 hours to get it.  As I was loading it into the van he said he preferred the tiller for his tractor he just got.  I replied I like ours better too, but how do you till between the rows with it?  The looks on his face told me he had never gardened before.   ???  :-\  :-[  :o  :(

Earth tools seems to have even better info on these tractors than the BCS site. they have another type, the Grillo tractor & both have optional diesel engines standard is the Lombardini italian diesel, nice for a high speed engine, or an optional Yanmar. Nice indeed.

Scott

If either would fit and not require over $300 in adapters maybe soon, I really hate Briggs.  Where would I find a good deal on either?

EDIT:  It is a BCS 715 model.  And does anyone have need for any 6hp Acme engine parts?  Minus the parts that broke when it threw a rod.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2009, 12:57:00 AM by clytle374 »

lowspeedlife

• old iron for a new age
  • no i'm not no cowboy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2009, 03:00:08 PM »
I don't know about the yanmar but the Lombardini will bolt up to any place a Briggs will bolt to. I used to work for the local (Washington DC) distributor for Lombardini. They were great engines but they sure aren't cheap. we used them on rental equiptment & they held up very well. Where can you get them? I'm sure they still have distributors around the US, the one I worked for was sold to United Rentals years ago.

Scott.
Scott R.

omega 20/2 listeroid

oliver90owner

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2009, 04:21:45 PM »
I don't know about a diesel fitting, but likely.  One diesel option of that HP range which will not be appropriate would be - youv'e guessed it - a CS :(

Regards, RAB

clytle374

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2009, 03:23:57 PM »
I found the owners manual and realized the tiller width is adjustable.  It looks like to could be widened out if I had another spool and set of tines, but it was too wide to comfortably fit between the potato rows anyway.  By swapping the tines on the outer spools so they face inward, and moving the box ends into the next set of holes I was able to narrow it up about 4" inches.   

I'm trying to figure out what clutch is in it now so I can at lest dream about a diesel option. 

M61hops

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2009, 10:04:58 PM »
I snagged one of these BCS tillers from the scrap pile at work several years ago!  The Acme 6hp engine is frozen tight for unknown reasons so it was being disposed of.  I have the pack-rat gene I think I got from my mothers side of the family, so I brought it home thinking I might be able to fit a 6hp Changfa onto it.  After seeing how much time that would take I've been thinking I might be better off seeking help from a mental health professional  :P !  I would still have a lot of other projects to spend my spare time on  ;D !  I don't know if there was anything wrong with the machine when the motor siezed and it would be a shame if I spent a lot of time fitting a new engine only to find out the transmission was worn out.  I'm not sure what will happen with it at this time.       Leland
I pray everyday giving thanks that I have one of the "fun" mental disorders!

clytle374

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2009, 10:48:40 PM »
I snagged one of these BCS tillers from the scrap pile at work several years ago!  The Acme 6hp engine is frozen tight for unknown reasons so it was being disposed of.  I have the pack-rat gene I think I got from my mothers side of the family, so I brought it home thinking I might be able to fit a 6hp Changfa onto it.  After seeing how much time that would take I've been thinking I might be better off seeking help from a mental health professional  :P !  I would still have a lot of other projects to spend my spare time on  ;D !  I don't know if there was anything wrong with the machine when the motor siezed and it would be a shame if I spent a lot of time fitting a new engine only to find out the transmission was worn out.  I'm not sure what will happen with it at this time.       Leland

I got a working one and the guy gave me the old Acme engine, as you well know I can't just throw the engine away(I am inflicted with the gene also).  Even with the rod/block/crank wasted.  It surely still has some good pieces.   Sounds like you need a parts motor, or rid of a BCS tractor ;)

prof.blink

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2009, 11:20:35 PM »
guys, how do you think that machine compares to the gravely? blink

clytle374

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2009, 04:47:19 AM »
guys, how do you think that machine compares to the gravely? blink

New ones? Or old ones?  I have heard lots of good things about the old ones.  The new ones look like over priced Segway wanna-bes to me.