Puppeteer

Author Topic: Way off topic Mini bike Discussion  (Read 4509 times)

Doug

• Why don't pictures ever work for me?
    • View Profile
    • Doug's Petteroid Stuff
Way off topic Mini bike Discussion
« on: June 12, 2009, 01:40:29 AM »
Jr.s birthday is comin g up and he's getting a Quad.

In the corner of the shop I spied a Baja mini bike in a pile of parts and boxes.

Warrenty job to expensive to fix so my questions:

Anyone familiar wit the Comet TVA2 or TAV 30 CVTs? And how significant a performance difference will this make ( hill climbing ect ). And do they actualy Engine Brake on the down side of the slope?

Next question anyone replace the tyres on a mini with the 21 by 7 by 8 Chinese tyres on some of the bigger Quads for the tinier 19 by 7 by 8 on the Baja? Its seems to be an odd ball tyre that no one around here has but I can probably order a set from Baja dealer. I jusrt want a wee bit more ground clearence and a bit more rubber to absorb some shock

My back is not what it used to be maybe getting this thing for a song was not the wisest investment.

BTW our old friend Jin Dong ( Dung  what ever ) built about 1/2 the motor I am using. I curse you Chinese merchants of madeness. I had that engone apart and together 3 times and and out of the frame twice swapping out parts untill I had a combination that ran well!!!!!
It's a Good Life, If You Don't Weaken

GuyFawkes

• View Profile
    • stuff
Re: Way off topic Mini bike Discussion
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2009, 09:13:44 AM »
Go down to the A&E (ER in american) and ask them what they think of mini-bikes and quad bikes.

There was a recurring theme in the accidents involving quad bikes. One 48-year-old employee was killed when the ATV he was riding overturned. He lost control of the vehicle as he approached the farmyard. The front tyres were worn and were about to be replaced during a vehicle service, though the worn condition of the tyres was not thought by the vehicle examiner to be a significant factor in causing the accident. The driver was not wearing any form of protective headgear and sustained fatal head injuries when the vehicle overturned.

A 52-year-old self-employed farmer died when his quad bike ran head-on into a wall. He was riding a quad bike loaded with fencing posts across a slope. It is assumed, since there were no witnesses, that the posts moved, causing the farmer to lose control of the vehicle. He was not wearing any head protection. A 61-year-old self-employed farmer was killed when he fell from a quad bike, which overturned after he rode it up a steep field and accelerated over cattle ruts. The front wheels lifted and the acceleration caused the bike to rear up and overturn. He was not believed to be wearing a helmet and suffered head and neck injuries, as well as a broken elbow.

A 43-year-old farm worker was discovered underneath a quad bike. He was using a quad bike to bring in cattle for afternoon milking and was not wearing a helmet. He died from head injuries.

A five-year-old child was hit and crushed against a gatepost by an ATV. Her mother was tending a horse in a field, accompanied by her two children. She entered the field with her youngest child, leaving the ATV's engine running. It appears that her other daughter may accidentally have lent forward and operated the accelerator, causing the ATV to drive forward, hitting the youngest child and trapping her against the gatepost.

Fortunately, not every quad bike mishap ends in a fatality, but statistics show that minor injuries have also risen exponentially with the popularity of the ATV. In 1998, 1,200 patients visited Accident & Emergency centres across the UK because they had hurt themselves on a quad bike. By the turn of the century that number had reached 3,200, and by 2002 it was more than 4,200.

"The HSE does not release A&E figures any more, but it makes sense that the number will have grown since then," said Roger Vincent, a spokesman for the Royal Society for the Prevention of Accidents. "The greatest problem with quads is that owners will drive them too fast on uneven terrain without first learning the basic skills on flat, open terrain. Drivers must remember that this is a professional piece of equipment, rather than a toy to tear about on with a friend on the back as though they are on a fairground ride."

Roger quoted the example of Thomas Crombie, a father of two, from Lanarkshire, who died in an accident on a quad bike bought only two hours earlier. The 37-year-old suffered fatal injuries when the 200cc machine struck a brick pillar. He was driving quickly around an industrial yard when he attempted a tight turn. The bike turned over and he was thrown head first into the brick pillar. He was not wearing a helmet.

ATV manufacturers recommend that their customers sit an EASI (European All-Terrain Vehicle Safety Institute) test when they buy a quad bike. For more information, visit www.quadsafety.org

--
Original Lister CS 6/1 Start-o-matic 2.5 Kw (radiator conversion)
3Kw 130 VDC Dynamo to be added. (compressor + hyd pump)
Original Lister D, megasquirt multifuel project, compressor and truck alternator.
Current status - project / standby, Fuel, good old pump diesel.

rcavictim

• Certified Generator Head and Grand Master Sparky
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2009, 01:30:15 PM »
Quad bikes and snowmobiles used recreationally are a net benefit to society as they help cleanse the gene pool.  Darwin would be proud.
-DIY 1.5L NA VW diesel genset - 9 kW 3-phase. Co-gen, dualĀ  fuel
- 1966, Petter PJ-1, 5 kW air cooled diesel standby lighting plant
-DIY JD175A, minimum fuel research genset.
-Changfa 1115
-6 HP Launtop air cooled diesel
-Want Lister 6/1
-Large DIY VAWT nearing completion

Wizard

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2009, 05:39:51 PM »
I can echo same thing here, that ATV 3 & 4 wheelers and dirt 2 wheelers ended up fatal or severely injured in our newspapers nearly weekly.

Learn to operate *safely with safety protections* and *secure* the loads.  the High speed certainly get you there quickly but with load also there is matter of terrains you can not do it safely.  Have to do it slow.  Teach kids to stay off vehicles and stay away from it for any reason till kids are old enough to know the consquences and have responsiblities.

Cheers, Wizard

Doug

• View Profile
    • Doug's Petteroid Stuff
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2009, 06:00:44 PM »
Thanks, I think that is some excellent pause for thought.......

Anybody have any technical information?

contaucreek

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2009, 11:20:00 PM »
Oh for God sakes people let the kid have some fun  >:( Oh and don't forget to throw the 700 tooth sprocket on the rear wheel  ;D
L.E.F. Dip #1 Threadstopper Extraordinaire

Doug

• View Profile
    • Doug's Petteroid Stuff
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2009, 11:53:01 PM »
Cost of a new Chinese quad 400 dollars.

Cost of all the PPE in childrens size closing on 600 dollars.

Cost a smile on a little boys face priceless ( even if it only goes at a snails pace for the first little while )